Why is Valeera on the Horde?

Even before Legion, L.V. had more characterization than basically every forsaken who’s been around since Vanilla, with the exceptions of Sylvanas and Nathanos.

10 Likes

She’s loyal to that house and that house only. She had no affiliations to any other Alliance organization. She does not fight for the Alliance or carry out any business other than what Anduin asks her. That’s usually carrying messages to Baine.

She was never an alliance or horde character.

3 Likes

That only applied to Varian because of their shared time as slaves in a Horde gladiator arena.

Crimson Ring. But let’s pretend it actually is Horde. You’re obscenely disingenuous to present the idea that this former slave would never try to fight the people who enslaved her.

Not even Thrall made that claim.

6 Likes

Thrall was never enslaved by his own faction.

Valeera is a Blood Elf. She knows where she can sleep safely at night.

Thrall was born into Alliance control.

In Stormwind Keep?

23 Likes

Actually, that is an interesting parallel. Valeera seems to be interested mostly in blood elves, but goes back to alliance. optimistic view Maybe that is a hint? After all, Calia also just interested in lordaeronian-forsaken.

Also, I do not have beta access, but it seems that most of the time they are found together, aren’t they?

some random thoughts about “Lilian’s machinations” and why Valeera could stay close to Calia

I am not expert in story, but I looked at some quotes of Lilian. She seems rather fitting for the forsaken.

From wowpedia

When you see an opportunity, you take it. I’ve always had plans for my future. It’s about time I do the work to make those plans a reality.

When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all.
But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice…
It’s time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall.

Seems as expected for a forsaken. Resourceful, willing to adapt, anti-alliance.

Who? Faranell? Alexi? Helcular? Because those are your only big “Vanilla Guns” left. Of those of actual note that “might” remain, Belmont, Voss, and Velonara all date back to Cata. Tattersail and Tehd date back to Legion. Chadwick Paxton’s group is from BfA. The problem with the loss of both Sylvanas and Nate is that they were the only characters still “living” that actually had any semblance of development in the Forsaken ranks. Voss was chosen because there was no one left, and even she’s getting “steward of Gondor’d” for Calia friggen Menethil.

5 Likes

Voss’s problem is that, despite it being reasonable for her character arc to find her way into the forsaken after all, the game never actually explores that and just jumps straight to the last page of that particular story. So one moment she’s still vehemently anti-undead and self-loathing, and the next she’s just randomly there and part of the horde army.

31 Likes

Ah, I see. Looks like the whole main story was presented incoherently and had many parts with too little focus or payoff. That is a shame. The game has some good stories. Presentation suffers, it seems.

Thanks for the clarification.

7 Likes

I’ve a similar opinion about Calia but ‘Why?’ sums her up nicely regardless of circumstance.

7 Likes

When does this happen?!

I’ve done the Legion Rogue quests. I’ve done all the other quests involving her save WoD content.

She’s anti-necromancer not undead. And of course a free willed undead is going to be anti-necromancer.

I was actually thinking specifically of the WoD garrison quest where she freaks out at the prospect of you looking at her.

She’s basically like Anduin’s ambassador to the Horde. But she’s also there to keep an eye on them for him. And yes, I’m sure the Horde is fully aware of that.

1 Like

Sure. I’d rather see any of them elevated to major NPC status ahead of Lillian Voss.

10 Likes

Despite Voss being sort of on the fringes of the story since Cata and MoP, she has been mellowing out. She is dogmatically anti-necromancer even now … but I don’t recall her ever being particularly anti-undead after her experiences with her dad. But you are right. The idea that Voss would join the Forsaken was always in the cards for her, especially should Sylvanas cease to be a part of them. However, we sort of skipped the whole middle part of that story.

I don’t mind that she is finally moving onto another character arc, her personal vendetta has sort of been rendered irrelevant and sort of dead; so its good to see a good character be used. My issues are not where she currently is, but how she got there, and how Blizz seems to be using her exclusively as a placeholder for “their prize” Calia Menethil.

3 Likes

She isn’t Loyal to the “King of the Alliance.”
She’s loyal to the family, who just happens to be the ruler of the Alliance.

She has no Loyalty to the Alliance.

The last remaining member of which isn’t even loyal to the Alliance, himself. Reminder that he spent half of this past expansion running around with his Orc and bovine bffs trying to fix their Horde, instead of doing anything productive for the Alliance.

I’d take her presentation in the Legion Rogue Hall over that which transitions nicely into BFA.

At the end of the day the discussion isn’t really about whether Voss was properly built up for her current role or not, but whether we would rather have a Forsaken leadership WITH Voss involved … or one where she’s not, and its just Calia. Because, from the looks of things, we only have three options right now: Calia solo leads (very likely); Forsaken reject Calia, Voss solo leads (super unlikely); Voss and Calia end up in a joint leadership situation (probably the best case scenario realistically). I would much rather have Voss involved than not at this point.