Why is there a language report feature

When there is a settings option to filter adult-language

And the way it’s set up basically promotes groups of people to abuse it against single people.

1 person reporting multiple people harassing them? Won’t do anything

50 people reporting 1 person for anything? Instant mute

Great idea, whoever came up with this lol

1 Like
4 Likes

Because it’s against the rules to use profanity or abusive language. The filter only filters out some profanities. Anybody who wants to behave like a psycho can certainly get around that by avoiding certain words while still being abusive.

It’s not a new rule. It’s not up to other players to remove themselves from chat so as not to be abused by jerks.

2 Likes

I use the language report every time a player bypasses the “no communicating with opposing faction” barrier.

3 Likes

Oh my! I didn’t realize coarse language in a teen rated game was considered abuse!

Do you complain about the simulated violence also?

I hope you live in a mild climate, snowflakes are easy to melt!

2 Likes

Three of my overwatch accounts are on 30 day bans and one is perma banned for language, thankfully WoW is a lot more lax on the issue. I don’t even remember the last time I reported anyone, I think it was months ago for someone who was speed hacking or something. People are soft nowadays, and clearly didn’t grow up with south park and call of duty chat rooms.

1 Like

An ignore button is the only feature a game like this needs. Silence and bans are overkill that go from defense to retribution and are easily abusable.

If someone is saying things you absolutely cannot abide by hearing, then simply ignore them. But really, why not just grow a thicker skin? You’ll be better served by it in the long run as real life sadly does not have an mute function.

1 Like

Is that even a bannable offense? It’s pretty ubiquitous and I’ve never heard of someone being banned for it.

The mute is a good feature in theory. Under ideal conditions if 10 people all report 1 person, you’d think that person deserved what they get.

However in theory ≠ in practice. The feature is abused way too much, and by way too many. A group of elitist jerks should be able to swing their own personal ban hammers without retribution from blizzard, which is exactly what happens. If blizzard threw band out to those players that abused it, they system would work. But they don’t, so it doesn’t.

Yes, you can get banned for course language. I can assure you that firsthand. I had a 3 day ban for calling someone a 7 letter euphemism for the human rear-end opening. And no, I didnt say anything else to the person, before or after it, just that one word.

Yes, you can get banned for course language.

I’m aware of that. I was referring to communicating cross faction by circumventing the chat language filter. (i.e. “go to retail” spam and the like)

I don’t know about now, but blizzard would mute people back in the day when they did it excessively.

The language report function is there mainly for racist rants in trade channel.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t think that’s a zuckerburg thing. That’ll get you banned every time. Even back in 2005 if you said someone should kill themselves you’d get a ban. It was probably a lot longer back then too.

2 Likes

idk, I say i quite frequently in barrens chat <3

In original vanilla, yes that was a banable offense. I dont know if anyone has gotten ban for it in classic though, or if Blizzard even cares anymore. At one time though, it angered them. A lot.

If it is, imagine all the bans from server discord screenshots.

I usually report this as cheating =P every time is see either “g O to REtail” from Ally or the ASCII equivalent from Horde. Lol

yeah this is crazy…
the world we live in is “i ate the bad food” “now I sue the person who sold the bad food”, instead of choosing to eat somewhere else… insanity

You’re still responsible for what you say.

Did you learn this the hard way?

2 Likes