Why is there a divide between ED, MG and WRA?

Its true that each of them have different types of RP communities and I've seen many of them get along at times. Now I was once in WRA and many people there say a lot of things about ED that I've found to straight up false. Same goes with MG. Among WRA and MG there seems to be a heavy conflict over which realm is better for RP. However many of the folks from MG and ED seem to think that ED is just dead for RP and don't like the extra focus on PvP here.
A lot of what WRA says about ED was true before 2018 - but those people have pretty much moved to WRA now.

Players on MG and WRa are more into standing around cities waiting for RP and since that doesnt happen around here they think its dead. ED’s RP is primarily events, and rp that springs ip after PVp combat which is toooooooo hard for wra and moon guard to understand(how to write pvp happenings into RP)

Both those realms have larger communities, but heavily cliquey with their RP. Many of our larger RP guilds left ED within the last couple years and hate to say it, a ton of the drama left as well. Rp feels more open now, less constrictive and even the people that onve hated rpers on ED seem to be testing it out and coming to events

Basically- ED TN RH Maelstrom are the wicked step children of RP servers as we broke away from RP realms years ago (when rpers demanded to blizz for rppvp realms) rppvp realms are not rp realms to the rest of the rp servers. We are just pvpers who write a story once in while
this reads as an incomplete thought to me... is there a question... or just stating wat each realm generally thinks of the other..

to me the divide stems from ED's side as server pride, and in the past, there is the fact that this is a rp/pvp server that everyone here loved... also that in the past there was no reason to do stuff cross server, so naturally... ur server was the best and the others suck'd… and the change to sharing space is still so recent that it hasn't changed...

not to mention MG's reputation seems to be universal as erp central... clan battlehammer as extended its presence in the past to WRA as a way to reach out to those in that community, but have not done so in a long time since the last, but we do have ppl that play over there...

in short, my question is, why should there be less divide? no reason I can think of...
Its a tale as old as time. ED, WrA, and MG have always been the big 3 RP servers. At least since Wrath. Others were also up there but have since fizzled out. We were the High/Full servers back in the hay day and so there was always a sort of rivalry for a few different reasons. Each having to do with the culture that was cultivated.

WrA was known, and to an extent still is, as the 'elitist' server. Your RP had to be on point, 100% lore abiding, no nonsense, 'acceptable' (non-ERP), etc. You had cliques and people who wanted to RP over others, who wanted to set a type of standard. It was great if you were able to fit into that set of RP/people, but pretty terrible, or at least I've heard, if you were not.

MG was known, and still is, as the ERP server. Where lore didn't matter and the degenerates played. There is still a bit of that residual feeling in certain circles. Its the wrong mindset/feeling, but it is there nonetheless. People somehow really cared how you spent your 15$ a month. Same could be said for WrA in this sense. They judged based upon the type of RP you enjoyed, for being a dragon, Mary Sue, for playing things that were not in game/unplayable. MG was an escape for all of that and a stigma was attached.

Emerald Dream were the ašsholes of the bunch. We were the thick skinned bullies who dared to enjoy PvP with our RP. We were ruthless, crass, terrible people who didn't really RP. We were the ones who just wanted excuses to camp and kill people. That PvP wasn't compatible with RP, despite the fact that RP-PvP servers were a player request. They weren't 100% wrong we were asšholes, but everyone was back then, all servers were. It was a different player mindset that didn't really change until around/after MoP.

ED hated WrA because they were carebears. WrA hated MG because they didn't stick to lore. MG hated ED because we'd camp people. ED hated MG because they were ERPers. WrA hated ED because we we weren't real RP.

It was a cycle of misinformation and hatred that didn't stop until sub numbers diminished and everyone also grew up a lot IRL. Remember the average player age in Wrath (by educated guess) was 16-22. Move on a few years and everyone is rounding out 20. Youngin's who are leaving college or joining are unsubbing. The age shifts to 21+. The maturity increased across the player base. Society as a whole became a bit more accepting. People understood there were different ways to play, different types of RP. Thats where the mindset of "Its your 15 bucks, do what you want" came into play.

There is some residual hate, of course. Though largely by those who were wronged or just can't grow up. I can't fully blame the first group. They were likely bullied and harassed off servers, doxxed, could never find a solid group of friends. Most RPers now, with the addition of numbers going down, realize its a lot more fun if everyone gets along and players together. There are still preferences between servers. ED likes PvP, WrA likes lore and story, MG likes fluidity and accepts mature themes, but at the end of the day were more similar than not.
7 Likes
Great post Abrahof. I find it funny that many of the guilds who left ED are still raising a fuss about how ED is dead. They just can’t seem to get over it.
1 Like
Aglaica and Abrahof pretty much covered it.

I'm pretty new to ED (was on Maelstrom until the second half of Legion), but I think all the RP-PvP realms were lumped into a caricature that they weren't for "real" RPers, even though they were created specifically at the request of RPers who wanted to have a more immersive experience in a game which has Alliance/Horde faction conflict at the core of it's lore.

I can try to RP a Kul Tiras Marine with War Mode OFF (or previously, on a standard RP realm), but my hands are tied if I run into Horde. What if I run into a Horde right outside Boralus? Or anywhere in Kul Tiras? Or attacking a Kul Tiran outpost in Stormsong? Or killing Kul Tiran Marines at the Proudmoore Barracks?

This is where we differ with the carebear RPers who like to trash our realm. They'd much rather just pretend nothing is going on and ignore what's happening. That is immersion-breaking to me, it's not my idea of fun, and I'd rather stay in-character and do what a Kul Tiras Marine would do.

Why they think that this makes us lesser RPers is beyond me.
3 Likes
Aglaica and Abrahof pretty much covered it.
This is where we differ with the carebear RPers who like to trash our realm. They'd much rather just pretend nothing is going on and ignore what's happening. That is immersion-breaking to me, it's not my idea of fun, and I'd rather stay in-character and do what a Kul Tiras Marine would do.

Why they think that this makes us lesser RPers is beyond me.

And this is one of the many reasons why I was very skeptical to believe a lot of the stuff they say about ED. Someone who absolutely has a deep seated ill hate towards pvp would likely paint a very wrong image about the server or at least a very biased one based on their experiences and feelings.
I moved to WrA. The funny part is the reasons I left ED are now everywhere thanks to warmode sharding us with non-WrA people.
What abrahof says about residual hate is true. The sole reason i hate wra is stuff that happened there before i left. I am tryin to speak better bout that realm but i still refuse to party with people or converse with those on the realm (cept a few that were on ED then left to there like zhii my fave pandaren)

Tryin to grow up but hard to lay past to rest
I like Abrahof...in a Orcish way, almost a Tauren clap on the back sort of like, but with none of that hand-holding you elves do, ya weaklings.
1 Like
10/23/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Loknal
I like Abrahof...in a Orcish way, almost a Tauren clap on the back sort of like, but with none of that hand-holding you elves do, ya weaklings.

Loknal and Abrahof bromance is now canon.
1 Like
10/24/2018 08:32 AMPosted by Saltzfyre
Loknal and Abrahof bromance is now canon.

You are far too late on that one friend.
1 Like
soft grunting and mooing can be heard in the background
1 Like
10/24/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Saltzfyre

Stop it, you're making my brain imagine things and it's awful.
10/24/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Saltzfyre

http://i.imgur.com/TIVp2.gif
1 Like
"Its a tale as old as time. ED, WrA, and MG have always been the big 3 RP servers. At least since Wrath. Others were also up there but have since fizzled out. We were the High/Full servers back in the hay day and so there was always a sort of rivalry for a few different reasons. Each having to do with the culture that was cultivated."

Amen, brother ... you've nailed it right on the head.
Server pride is still a thing, despite Blizzard's attempt to dilute it.
10/23/2018 01:55 PMPosted by Abrahof
Its a tale as old as time. ED, WrA, and MG have always been the big 3 RP servers. At least since Wrath. Others were also up there but have since fizzled out. We were the High/Full servers back in the hay day and so there was always a sort of rivalry for a few different reasons. Each having to do with the culture that was cultivated.

WrA was known, and to an extent still is, as the 'elitist' server. Your RP had to be on point, 100% lore abiding, no nonsense, 'acceptable' (non-ERP), etc. You had cliques and people who wanted to RP over others, who wanted to set a type of standard. It was great if you were able to fit into that set of RP/people, but pretty terrible, or at least I've heard, if you were not.

MG was known, and still is, as the ERP server. Where lore didn't matter and the degenerates played. There is still a bit of that residual feeling in certain circles. Its the wrong mindset/feeling, but it is there nonetheless. People somehow really cared how you spent your 15$ a month. Same could be said for WrA in this sense. They judged based upon the type of RP you enjoyed, for being a dragon, Mary Sue, for playing things that were not in game/unplayable. MG was an escape for all of that and a stigma was attached.

Emerald Dream were the ašsholes of the bunch. We were the thick skinned bullies who dared to enjoy PvP with our RP. We were ruthless, crass, terrible people who didn't really RP. We were the ones who just wanted excuses to camp and kill people. That PvP wasn't compatible with RP, despite the fact that RP-PvP servers were a player request. They weren't 100% wrong we were asšholes, but everyone was back then, all servers were. It was a different player mindset that didn't really change until around/after MoP.

ED hated WrA because they were carebears. WrA hated MG because they didn't stick to lore. MG hated ED because we'd camp people. ED hated MG because they were ERPers. WrA hated ED because we we weren't real RP.

It was a cycle of misinformation and hatred that didn't stop until sub numbers diminished and everyone also grew up a lot IRL. Remember the average player age in Wrath (by educated guess) was 16-22. Move on a few years and everyone is rounding out 20. Youngin's who are leaving college or joining are unsubbing. The age shifts to 21+. The maturity increased across the player base. Society as a whole became a bit more accepting. People understood there were different ways to play, different types of RP. Thats where the mindset of "Its your 15 bucks, do what you want" came into play.

There is some residual hate, of course. Though largely by those who were wronged or just can't grow up. I can't fully blame the first group. They were likely bullied and harassed off servers, doxxed, could never find a solid group of friends. Most RPers now, with the addition of numbers going down, realize its a lot more fun if everyone gets along and players together. There are still preferences between servers. ED likes PvP, WrA likes lore and story, MG likes fluidity and accepts mature themes, but at the end of the day were more similar than not.

Kkhaoz supports this post...……………….

just saying...………………

kk
ED= Your drunk uncle that likes to fight.

MG= Your cool uncle that your mom won't let you hang out with because reasons...

WrA= Your Mom
3 Likes

Jenkem is an inhalant and hallucinogen created from fermented human waste. In the mid-1990s, it was reported to be a popular street drug among Zambian children. They would reportedly put the feces and urine in a jar or a bucket and seal it with a balloon or lid respectively, then leave it out to ferment in the sun; afterwards they would inhale the fumes created.

The making of jenkem is described: "fermented human sewage, scraped from pipes and stored in plastic bags for a week or so, until it gives off numbing, intoxicating fumes. The process is similarly described in a 1995 report: “Human excreta is scooped up from the edges of the sewer ponds in old cans and containers which are covered with a polyethylene bag and left to stew or ferment for a week.” A 1999 BBC article refers to “the dark brown sludge, gathering up fistfuls and stuffing it into small plastic bottles. They tap the bottles on the ground, taking care to leave enough room for methane to form at the top.”