Why is no one talking about work orders being garbage?

I check crafting orders all day long and the most I have seen ever on my low pop server is 4…

The crafting order system should be like the ah, regional, because there simply is not enough work orders for anyone who is on a mediocre server. And I am not talking about to make gold at this point it is needed simply for skill pointing…Blizzard acknowledged this by lowering the amount of crafting orders needed for the weekly quest.

They need to find more solutions, or start merging servers again.

2 Likes

Yeah, they should merge the low pop servers. That or people really need to move servers, with free transfers given.

I don’t want them to make crafting orders regional though. It’s been fun meeting the people and guilds on my server, and forwarding people to the crafters I met to get their stuff made ECT.

If they made it regional it will just be full of people sitting at the table sniping orders while using resourceful equipment to earn a little extra on the side. The problem is caused by sparks being limited, people only want specific gear for now and it will be that way for a couple of more weeks.

They should not have had sparks limited like it is now. They should have been something you work for like with primal infusions to get people to do content but not limited so people can use the crafting system more.

i couldn’t agree more!

same here :confused:

Even on the high pop servers like Illidan there’s zero public orders in many cases. It seems that the “thing to do” is to spam trade chat endlessly looking for personal orders, but of course that doesn’t necessarily work for players on less busy realms since there’s not enough “business” to get.

My main characters are all on Medivh and the public order system there is as dead as a doornail. One or two here or there for items people likely can’t craft, but otherwise DOA.

If you look at the full quote they actually admit there is a massive missmatch between demand for orders and the number of orders available to fulfill.

I also want to know how many orders there are after you remove all the alts ordering the cheapest thing out there for the weekly and the treatises.

The fact they are adding all the intermediate reagents you can currently buy from the AH to the order system suggests to me they are flaiing about trying to hotfix the system without addressing all the core issues.

I basically agree with everything said in this vid by Manthius

Ive no idea whats going on with professions. Ive done hundreds of quests and i cant level cooking much past 60 same with leather working . Cant find recipes either . While people who did beta are making millions of gold . Also the people who cam afford to play 50 hours a week.

It seem like the only way to benefit from the system is to have picked the right profession, picked the right specialization, picked the correct sub-specialization, dumped all your knowledge into it, ground out all the necessary renown with the factions, and then successfully spammed trade chat on a sufficiently busy realm group so that you were able to level up to the point where you can craft 4 star or 5 star items on a reliable basis while getting tips that made all of these things worthwhile. I’ve seen people in trade chat on Illidan advertising services for 50k-100k per craft but that’s all for personal orders.

Anyone who didn’t do any of the above is essentially out of luck. If you’re on a less busy realm group where public orders are dead and trade chat is close to dead then you’re basically going to go nowhere with it no matter how hard you try.

1 Like

All of my actively played characters are on Stormrage which is one of the largest NA servers and there were exactly 0 public work orders for LW and JC last time I looked. This isn’t a server population issue, it is a “nobody wanting to put stuff on public orders” issue, especially stuff that has quality grades.

With people spam-crafting BoEs for leveling purposes, that stuff is usually cheaper to buy on AH than work order, so hardly ever any orders for those besides those you make from your alts to yourself for skillups on your crafter and upgrades on your alts.

1 Like

Agreed. At this point on many of my characters I have no idea what I should even use my knowledge points on because I have no clue what people might actually want. There’s barely any public orders on my realm, with most professions having zero, and trade chat is mostly dead, so aside from my own personal needs I have no idea what might actually be the “right” choice when it comes to specialization.

This whole thing is very disheartening. Prior to the expansion I levelled up multiple alts so that I would be able to cover the various professions in the hopes that the new system would be a success, and instead these toons are just sitting around in Valdrakken doing nothing with unspent knowledge. It makes me not want to bother playing much of the time. What a mess.

Here’s my idea for public order. “CRAFTING SAMPLES”

Basically, instead of taking a public order and completes it, the player crafts a ‘sample’. So multiple crafters can take the same order and each creates a sample.

This way, the customer can wait for a 5 star piece or just take the 2 star piece. In addition, the crafter should set the price, not the customer. That way, the customer has to choose between a pricey 5 star item or a cheap 2 star item.

The ‘sample mechanic’ will also populate the public order list. Right now, its always empty because orders get competed right away. But if the customer doesn’t choose right away, their list will stay up longer. And it’ll appear there’s tons of activity.

I think the work order system is a good idea, however there are for sure some holes in it. As a player who logs in every day for a few hours and spends time researching wow content, I would call myself a middle of the road player, not casual not hardcore. There must be a better way to keep the progress rolling.

1. As a middle of the road player, I pick up professions to gear my own characters. I find crafting to be more rewarding, than just running a dungeon and getting a drop.
  2. Leveling a profession is now community driven, I really feel completely stalled out leveling up professions, in the last week I saw a single work order for a pickaxe that was gone in minutes.
  3. Between the time gating of the Sparks of Ingenuity, farming Primal Chaos in Heroic or Mythic+ “when I have time” and trying to obtain a recipe, is there any point to picking up a profession? At a heroic level difficulty, you get one Primal Chaos on the end Boss, one recipe calls for 100+ primal chaos” assuming you have the recipe”, Now you can supplement that with some world quest that I have seen drop 5+ Primal Chaos, buy the time I am done building a set it will more than likely be irrelevant.
  4. What’s stopping the gold farmers for creating multiple characters and basically owning the work orders? Maybe the complexity of crafting will scare them off.
1 Like

This system only exists because everything thats good was set as BOP. They had to fabricate a reason for this system to even exist. Its a lame excuse to make a system. They literally had to fabricate a reason for it. Just scrap it already

1 Like

Seems to me like the ability to specify exactly the stats and special effect you want on equipment instead of hoping someone puts exactly the variant you want on AH or having to hunt down a crafter to make something exactly the way you want without worrying about the possibility that the crafter may screw it up or disappear with your expensive mats are pretty good reasons to have a work order system.

Only thing missing is a minimum quality spec on public work orders.

If the system requires us to talk to people to get the exact piece made, then you could do that under the old system if the item were simply tradeable.

Greatdealz point stands. The system exists only because the items are BoP.

1 Like

I think the problem is they got work orders back to front, It should not be driven by a player requesting an item but rather by the crafters advertising they want to craft and this is what I can make. It should be a system more like Etsy with appropriate ways of removing crafters that are no longer active from the advertising system.

This would even the playing field a lot between the hardcore who can advertise in trade chat all day and those with jobs/families/lives who want to engage in the crafting system but are currently locked out.

3 Likes

They received much feedback to this effect, but were only able to make minor changes to the system because it entered testing in only the last couple of weeks.

In fairness, this sort of system is very hard to test because test server economies aren’t representative of live economies.

They already had a crafter-to-buyer system, the AH. They wanted to add a buyer-to-crafter link with this system. However, they did so by silo’ing the tradegoods available in the two systems.

An advertising system, an Etsy-system to use your comparison, would likely meet similar problems. The gear isn’t good enough to warrant the difficulty of acquiring it. It’s catchup gear for bad luck. By definition bad luck doesn’t happen to most players. Therefore, the system is not only optional, but is unlikely to be needed by most players BY DESIGN.

It just doesn’t feel like whoever designed the system is working with good demographic data, or perhaps they had an outside party cripple their original design. That happens a lot in game design, especially when you have entrenched design philosophies that focus on keeping high end players feeling elite.

2 Likes

Imagine calling someone a “garbage person” for something as insignificant as this, let alone doing it a mere days after the expansion launched.

Attitudes like this really should have no place in a game, especially one where you interact with other people.

4 Likes

If they let us reset knowledge to be able to craft what people actually want, this would not be a problem. I just wanted to have brez, and I am stuck because to have level engi itself, I’d have to do work oders, and I don’t want to have to type in trade chat to be able to level a profession. The whole system is a huge money-sink and rather disappointing…

1 Like

my biggest problem, I’ve never seen a work order even once for engineering or alchemy.

1 Like