Why is last to cap flag what wins draws?

I don’t know… this rule always made sense to me. What doesn’t make sense to me is this suggestion that a drawn WSG should turn into a 10v10 Arenas match.

1 Like

It’s a good system. Very satisfying when a team that got an early cap and decided to turtle the rest of the game gets beaten by a last minute cap.

5 Likes

Those are the best, aren’t they?

Had two games go down like that yesterday. One was a BFG where Rocax and I turned the game at the last second for a win at the mine (and I mean literally last second!) The other was a EOTS where the game was neck and neck the whole way, and a belf on the horde team capped the flag at the buzzer for their win! It was soooo good! :smile: I love games like that.

I didnt read all this so I dont know if it’s been said before. Originally it was FIRST cap wins, and let me tell you it was terrible. If someone capped with like 5 minutes left, the match was pretty much over. 2nd cap winning was a much better change. Not sure why you would want a draw. If you draw you often lose more rating than just losing and get no bonus end of match rewards.

2 Likes

Actually this is wrong. Ties lose no rating. On the scoreboard it shows -12 across the board, but if you actually watch your rating, it doesn’t change. Also doesn’t even register the BG was played, for rated anyway. As for the OP, making last cap wins was the best move they made for these BGs.

or the ‘winning’ team got a lucky late cap
1-1 is a draw in virtually every game on the planet, besides a few obscure martial arts promotions

Im not bothered with how the rule keeps the game competitive, its an unnatural rule that doesnt make sense

ah right so lets call 2-1 a draw since being 1 score up apparently doesnt mean you were better (even though it actually literally does mean you were 1 score better)

ps nothing wrong with a draw, for the losing team its still better than a loss so there’s enough reason to keep playing
if you dont want the other team to turtle, dont be bad and allow them to cap early

Do a sudden death like OW, except instead of having to implement that much it just ports everyone back to starting point instantly and starts again.

The rule that your flag has to be there to cap is removed. Whoever brings the enemy flag back to their flags spot first, whether yours is there or not, wins sudden death.

That would generate a lot of complaints.

“Thanks Blizzard. The other team had druids and monks. Our team didn’t have anyone with that sort of mobility. GG.”

2 Likes

“That team has a veng dh, GG”

1 Like

They could just apply a debuff to the FC in sudden death that limited use of mobility abilities/speed increases.

That would make it slightly less sudden, but still an easier round since you wouldn’t have to have your flag to cap.

Or they just keep it as is since it works.

7 Likes

Yeah… no more silly suggestions. The system works as is. Can we just end this thread, already?

3 Likes

Why did you bump the thread if you wanted it to end?

Umm… I’m not the only one posting, you know. Just a little FYI…

So you don’t know then? Got it.

Yes it’s a good rule.

Don’t turtle.

1 Like

You lost because you didn’t know the rules. You need to know the rules of a BG, especially the win conditions, before you go in there. If you’re unclear, you should ask in chat. It says on the in-game description that the last cap wins a tie.

I prefer Classic-style WSG (no timer, need 3 to win), but this is the way they changed it several years ago when they wanted to limit the duration of the BG’s and when it became fashionable to ragequit asap in the face of any adversity. So this is what we’ve adjusted to.

The rule is a little goofy and counterintuitive, but I think it is better than some of the alternatives. If they made it first-cap-tiebreaker, then they might as well just make all WSG end at 1-0, because many players will exit the Battleground and you’ll almost never have enough time to capture 2 flags against a 10-man turtle. The first cap would be way too important.

RIght now the first cap doesn’t mean all that much (other than being psychologically crushing apparently to some players).

If you’re up 1-0, (or tied with the second cap) don’t try to turtle with more than a few minutes remaining. Reset and get back in position asap after the cap. Play increasingly defensively, but keep playing both flags and keep trying to capture a second.

If the other team scores the first cap, try to take advantage of the fact that they might be out of position, and try to score an equalizer quickly. The flags are often vulnerable right after a cap, and I’ve seen a lot of BG’s decided by a quick capture in response to the first.

Great rule.

If the enemy team scores the first cap, you’d need to cap twice to secure a win otherwise. That’s too steep a disadvantage for one cap. I’m not seeing how calling it a draw would be preferable and I’m definitely not seeing how forsaking objectives in a deathmatch tie breaker would be preferable either.

It’s good the way it is. It encourages both teams to continue capping rather than turtling or giving up.

5 Likes

Eliminate players, what a great idea. Stop people from playing and rely on a bad player to win 9 other people the game. Genius.

Both team need a cap regardless, one team is going to need one after the first cap.

Sadly they added a time limit to FC matches.
The old ones would make you strong like me.
Be happy.
I miss my stumps.

2 Likes