Why is Fire AOE uncapped?

Not sure I understand why.

4 Likes

Immersion. Fire is uncontrollable dude.

7 Likes

It’s gonna get capped in 9.1

1 Like

Because Blizzard doesn’t understand balance. Ideally, everyone would be uncapped and the existing 20-target softcap would have sufficed.

The cap was only introduced because Blizzard wasn’t a fan of MDI groups pulling all the trash mobs to the boss and AoE’ing them down. However, all that did was just force a meta where every MDI group takes the same uncapped AoE specs and coordinates pulls around combustion, defeating the purpose of the cap anyway.

Blizzard was also too proud to admit the AoE cap was a mistake, so instead of reverting it they forced a new “1 class per party” rule to prevent all the groups from stacking 3 fire mages and exposing the state of class imbalance. This is similar to the series of mistakes they made in Overwatch that led to the implementation of forced role compositions for teams, which killed off the competitive scene.

22 Likes

Right. If you’re going to implement something like a damage cap like that then no one should have anything be uncapped.

It also unfairly handicaps certain specs as well and leave others to just go willy nilly no matter what. Nothing feels worse than feeling forced or pressured into using one other spec because of how overpowered or even outright busted it is just due to this reason alone.

The idea was understandable, however due to how certain specs function in the game it just doesn’t work out well.

5 Likes

Just target cap everything at 5 and be done with it, or have the soft-cap where it still hits more than 5 but the damage itself is capped as though it were hitting 5. Solves all the problems, and makes the other 2 specs massively more desirable.

5 Likes

Given the plethora of bugs, typos, glitches, errors etc. in Shadowlands I wouldn’t be surprised if they overlooked the uncapped AoE and went “oh well”

10 Likes

There is no reason for it to be uncapped. They should cap flame patch and probably put a lower number for flamestrike’s soft cap if it’s becoming too much of a problem.

Somewhat off-topic, I wonder if making flamestrike a cooldown based ability would tone down fire mages in the right way where the other mage specs aren’t outshined by Fire at the highest level because of large trash pulls. The benefit would be flamestrike no longer being something the needs to be spammed.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the other mage specs are uncapped as well.

Fire just happen to have a higher burst potential than both where frost is the only one capable of somewhat being even with fire in aoe and cleave. And arcane… is arcane. Nothing to really praise there. So, even IF it was capped along with the other two getting the same treatment, fire will still be better because of it’s burst potential in pretty much every single situation in the game.

1 Like

Only other uncapped mage talent is Arcane Orb:

2 Likes

I think they probably should go ahead and cap it, if only to placate the complainers. It really doesn’t make much difference for most of us. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a pull that exceeded the aoe cap that wasn’t made on accident.

To create a meta for MDI, so nerds can talk about the meta.

4 Likes

Glacial fragments is capped at only 5 targets.

2 Likes

Because they made a braindead decision that “cleave” specs should be capped at 5 or 8 targets. And “AOE” specs can hit everything, but should do less damage on 2-5 targets.

They specifically listed melee specs and casters as being in each during interviews.

Unfortunately, every single one of these points is stupid AF and they’re blatantly incorrect about the capped specs doing more on small numbers of targets.

The sooner they delete the idea, the better.

It has not changed mythic+ in any meaningful way except being annoying. It has not changed the MDI in any meaningful way except being annoying.

They need to suck eggs, realize we all told them so, and revert it all.

Unless their goal is simply to make the game annoying. Illogical as it is, they’re doing a good job of that. Often the simplest explanation is the correct one.

10 Likes

That would involve them admitting they made a big mistake, and I don’t recall them doing that since before the WoD fiasco. Ion’s ego doesn’t allow him to come out and admit that perhaps he (or whoever was in charge of this decision) made a bad choice. Just imagine the sort of expansion (or at least communication) that could happen if Kaplan was in charge of WoW.

5 Likes

Fire can’t slow and freeze things like frost can.

With the burst Fire has, they don’t need to…

3 Likes

So true… also really sad. /sigh

1 Like

I wish they would quit dabbling and trying to enforce their gameplay. M+ was fun in legion when you could pull groups of mobs and aoe them down. I found it fun watching the mdi when they could do that too, the tank zipping around with that potion and aggroing loads of mobs and then running back to the group, sometimes they overpulled and couldn’t handle it. It was more exciting for me to watch that play out than *someone failed x mechanic and the group wiped.

5 Likes

So was the game in general and unfortunately it really hasn’t been since.

2 Likes