Why is Classic Vanilla PVP more fun?

Like mechanically its kinda basic, several classes are missing some crucial abilities like Paladins missing their crusaders strike thing, but overall even with the woefully incomplete classes the game is just fun.

Sure the PVP meta is lighting fast, so fast that it makes Wrath feel slow, but its just… so fun. I am legit having a real laugh with this regardless of the class I play, hell I am having more fun on my alt druid that I typically do on my Mage that I should have cloned…

Can we bring back clones please =)

13 Likes

I’m surprised someone in blizzard hasnt mention that bringing back clones would make them a boat load of money. I think they are waiting til the 4th quarter. LOL

16 Likes

because there’s no flying

17 Likes

Because it has soul and flavor.

19 Likes

Some Good reasons, but I think it goes deeper than that… Just can’t put my finger on it for some reason

2 Likes

In 1v1 situations a lot of classes are rock paper scissors, however when you start doing team fights and wsg it becomes much more complex quickly.

Things are simple and the gameplay pretty slow but the skill cap is really high - one wrong ability and it is over. Consumes are lots of fun, engineering super flavorful.

So on the one hand it is really simple and easy to pickup but on the other you can play at a high level and stomp on noobs who refuse to try hard.

Watch pvp vids of all versions and classic pvpers have the most abilities bound and tend to use more stuff than all other versions.

Finally classic was in development for a much longer time than expansions, with a team that had a good vision.

5 Likes

You reminded me of something that scared me.

I meek on Ret as much as the next guy, but I know better in reality

2 Likes

The lack of balance has some charm to it, and the rock paper scissors most classes have, alongside methods to offset their huge weaknesses all just has so much charm.

I still remember the times I kill a Warlock or a SPriest on my Druid because I had the Blacksmith Fear-Immune Trinket and the Shadow Reflect trinket. Usually classes that would nuke a Druid

2 Likes

Because it’s silly and unfair but in a fun way.

3 Likes

Because its unbalanced and every class is more unique. As the game went on and people got obsessed with balancing things so everything was able to contend on the exact same field it homogenized the classes and made things stale. Every class has a stun, a heal, a silence, a root, damage CDs, defensive CDs, etc.

Vanilla PvP is pinnancle because PvP shouldn’t revolve around 1v1s and balance, classes should have natural counters and weaknesses… those things are then offset by higher skill play and preparations. Consumables, professions, unique niche trinkets.

To put it simple, it’s not just a dull faceroll of who’s gear is better because eveyone does the same thing.

16 Likes

The experience of getting absolutely blapped by someone in the most unfair, unbalanced, bloody manner possible, taking a RR break and saying “I will be that person!”, then beginning your quest as a newfound person on a mission to blap someone in the most unfair, unbalanced, bloody manner possible.
The dream of what’s to come. It’s the classic formula.

4 Likes

Ret’s that play like that are like the .1%. I mean, how many Ret’s have you seen go to 1hd/shield against rogues (melee)? I have played with one of the best Vod. The dude is a beast of a paladin.

Too bad the rest of Rets are War wannabes. They forget that they can dispell or heal. lol

1 Like

smaller numbers

smaller is bigger. If you can understand that you can understand why it’s better.

6 Likes

It’s more likely that they literally just don’t know. Seems like they get very little done anymore just grifting off of the work done 15+ years ago

That is a stunningly accurate observation.

2 Likes

I was playing some 2s on my DK with an Hpal the other day. After queuing into 20+ minute War/Hpal matches 3 or 4 times, I decided to take a break, and maybe not play DK/Hpal 2s anymore.

Legit they have one of the most poweful tools in game (cleanse) and I count it a good day in alliance side PVP if they use HoJ to peel me, freedom or protection to help me.

Good ones tho, are nearly unstoppable. That guy tho, one of the few that made me scurrrd on my mage…

Everything isn’t homogenized like retail and things like professions are worthwhile. The RPG element is enhanced by this as well with things like weapon skills. Very minor details have an impact.

There’s a bit of walking, but during those times I run into people, help one another out taking down Hogger or something like that. You actually interact with people.

2 Likes

Playing with my pally buddy for so many years (he gets bored and quits after a while lol) has made me really hate other paladins in bgs. No cleanses, No freedoms, No bops and most importantly no heals.

1 Like

There is a sense of community on the Era servers, its actually really refreshing to see in a multi player game now days.

@styls
Honestly has me tempted to make a Pala for BG, that cleanse button is the most poweful tool in game

1 Like