Why is Alliance so easily defeated on Korrak

Well if the Alliance took time out to play the game mode properly instead of doing pve quests while the horde takes all your bunkers you might have a chance

1 Like

This is not true - I have queued as a tank a few times but always get stuck in DPS because there is another tank. That being said, the player breakdown they can stick you with is just wonky. I’ve been in groups with 1 tank and 9 healers and others with 2 healers and 5 tanks.

I just wish they would make so you had to be level 60 to queue.

:cookie:

The amount of alliance I see AFKing on top of Vann’s bunker is ridiculous. A few games ago there were 6 people up there.

A big thing I notice is that Alliance love to abandon towers. I’ve recapped so many towers that were just empty or only had a single individual (probably a poor level 30 character or something). So recapping towers has been a breeze in these games.

A lot of reasons compiling together:

• Horde have a slight map advantage. They start closer to center and can reach alliance capture points faster than we can reach theirs, if only by a few seconds.
  • Both bases have choke points - the alliance has our bridge, and the horde has their winding walkway up through the buildings. The alliance used to have an advantage here by being able to knock horde off the bridge very easily, leading to an almost perfect defense. However, I’ve noticed that these days knockbacks do not work properly on the bridge; horde players will be knocked into an ‘invisible wall’ at the very edge, but not go over. I’m sure this was an intentional change by blizzard to even the odds a bit, but it’s really hurt the alliance’s ability to defend properly.
  • Alliance players, for some reason, seem to think defense is better than offense. In almost every match I’ve played, the horde sends 95% of their players to the front, with only maybe 2-3 hanging back on defense, while the alliance splits almost 50/50 between defense and offense. The lack of offensive power means we cannot push into horde capture points as quickly, and because AV is a literal race match now where speed is everything, this puts the alliance at a severe disadvantage.
  • Alliance players, for whatever reason, like to fight things instead of being smart and using crowd control. I almost exclusively play healers in BGs, and no matter how many times I try to crowd control the elites, some idiot hunter will attack the target, or some idiot deathknight will throw down death and decay on the target, or some idiot warlock/druid will DoT the target up so the CC breaks right away. This, compounded by the fact that we have less people on offense, makes our progress go so much slower, and that means we lose the race.
  • Alliance players, in general, seem very disorganized. Tanks dont stay in range of their healers, DPS fight things they dont need to fight, nobody makes effective use of crowd control to hinder enemies or NPCs (Just throwing down circle of peace in the right place at the right time can 100% be the difference between winning or losing an engagement). I also notice that heroism/primal rage/etc. always gets popped before drek’thar, meaning everyone has the fatigue debuff when we go in, and that’s 30% less DPS the entire raid is able to pull off in the final stretch.

All it takes is one player to screw up the entire game. We had a near perfect run a few days ago, where we were on drek and had him at 20% health before the horde even engaged our boss. All it took to turn that clear-cut win into an immediate loss was one hunter breaking CC on a commander outside the building and pulling him in, thereby healing drek to full and giving the horde the time they needed to beat us.

I actually got into a match once where we had 7 healers (myself one of them) and no tanks. None of the DPS players were willing to swap to a tank role, and even though we got to drek’thar’s building we couldnt win the match because everyone was getting one shot by warmasters.

1 Like

I don’t know but most of my victories happen when we do not engage the horde’s advance and went straight for the grave and towers.

Ive come the conclusion that the insistence on CC’in elites is a problem the alliance has.

Too many times when I was playing on an alliance toon, they would want to bypass every elite with cc.

Problem is if you CC the elite at the GY flags, when the flag swaps and the ally guards spawn they instantly aggro the CC’d elite, then they die, leaving the flag open to any wandering horde to spin.

Similar things happen in towers, Allies will CC the commander at the flag, then leave maybe one person guarding after they spin the flag, which means that if a horde shows up not only does the lone person have to fight the horde PC, but also the elite.

While horde just goes through and murders everything…even things that are well out of the way. So when they cap a gy flag their guards spawn and can actually be hindrance to the allies recapping the thing.

1 Like

go watch the arcvaldor video and you’ll know why

To make things even worst, alliance players tend to prioritize killing korrak and capturing towers over graves. Therefore, when they get killed they ended up being confused because they respawned at their own base instead of somewhere closer to the horde base. This in turn creates a poor turtle on the alliance base; defense manned by people unwilling to defend the base.

As for terrain, I think the horde has a major advantage on Icewing Bunker. Compared to Tower Point, the chokepoint at the bunker is just nasty. It’s impossible to pass once it fell to the horde. This will kill off any sort of reinforcement to the fight down south.

To prevent gy loss, a small team of player is advised to stay behind and camp. They should only rejoin the fight once Drek is engaged.

korrak’s big muscles = distracting

1 Like

Seems you don’t know much about the map itself… A little exploration and memorization of terrain helps. Seems to be the only explanation as to why you think the Icewing choke is so crippling. It’s not as tight as you might think. There are ways to circumvent that choke, but you’re not paying attention.

Focus on stopping the Horde advance, and dragging the battle out, then you’ll get somewhere. You’ll be able to outlast the losers who want the short game, and it’ll lead to the quitters leaving, while the real winners will jump in and further drag it out.

I just won a Horde game with 0 tanks.

Maybe the Alliance is just bad at the video game.

Well said all around.
I’m actually surprised they haven’t redesigned the map after all these years to be equal in all dimensions, like a MOBA. Starting areas are exactly as far away, GYs are at the same place, but opposite sides of the map, etc.

I dont want a perfectly even map. I think it would be interesting for each side to have different advantages.

For instance, the horde side of the map can have a balance of choke points so that it’s equally difficult for attackers to take and defenders to retake. On the other side, alliance could have extremely strong defensive positions, stronger than the horde’s, but once they lose it, it’s very hard to take back. I also think the current state of AV needs more pve elements. This setup might encourage alliance to leave fewer people on defense with stronger defensive fortifications with the strategy of win before your defense falls. Alternatively, horde may want to have more defenders because of weaker natural defensives and the possibility of retaking ground. Ideally, it would play out that horde wins if both teams have 0 defense, but alliance wins if they small defense and horde not enough defense.

Right now horde has the best of both worlds. Better defensive chokes and an easier time to push back after losing ground.

For sure, it could use some more PvE elements all around to make it more interesting. Sadly, that means we’re talking about a new AV, and it won’t be played because of all the other BGs in the pool.

Easily doable because of the bug with vanndars room letting you instantly revive 2-3 times without a graveyard run or even owning a nearby graveyard.

I once went in on my horde alt with multiple marshals up and vann and we still beat the alliance who pulled Drek’Thar shortly after us. No tanks. Quite a few heals and hunters though.

1 Like