Why I Just Unsubbed & Have Not Preordered TWW

I have mained a Paladin ever since The Burning Crusade. I can no longer accept the job that our developers are doing throughout a wide array of certain class elements.

This will primarily be through the lens of Paladin. But I will also touch on Death Knights.

The straw that finally broke the camel’s back was Templar Paladin. I cannot stress this enough, but its current class fantasy is the biggest miss for The War Within out of any Hero Spec and its not even close.

Hammers? Really? Blizzard, you could have delivered an absolute slam dunk with this Hero Spec. Templar Paladin will of course always draw some name relation to the Knight’s Templar. How on Earth could you land on the decision to skin this Hero Spec into Hammers rather than Swords?

Hammers not only are the wrong thematic choice from a class fantasy perspective, but it also makes zero sense at all from a logical perspective.

How do Hammers achieve a new exciting class fantasy? Paladins in general are already primarily based in Hammers for their theme. Looking at this from my Ret Paladin’s perspective, where do all of my Sword themed abilities come from if not from Templar?

Furthermore, you mean to tell me that Wake of Ashes (The Ashbringer ability) augments itself into Hammer of Light? How on Earth does that even make any sense?

Templar easily should have been grounded on the physical (Holystrike) capabilities of the Paladin player and offered an amazing theme based around Swords. We also should have seen Eye for an Eye make a return instead of Shield of Vengeance from the talent that procs this from using Wake of Ashes. This is the correct direction for the theme.

Moving on from the obvious and disappointing miss of Templar’s class fantasy, I want to quickly comment on the Rider of the Apocalypse Hero Spec.

I want to start by saying that the talents, On a Paler Horse and Death Charge seriously nail this class fantasy. That is a fantastic job.

As a Paladin main, I have no issues at all with Death Knight’s receiving these abilities. Personally, mounted combat has always fit in with the class fantasy of a Death Knight more so than a Paladin to me.

Here is where the issue is. You are telling me, that Paladins could not receive Wings of Liberty (Paladin Leap) during our rework because, quoting from Morgan Day in an interview with Towelliee, “that would basically be just giving them a Warrior ability.”

Please explain to me, how Death Charge and On a Paler Horse are not just giving Death Knight’s a Paladin ability?

The hypocrisy is beyond believing and I can tolerate it no longer. How do you expect me to purchase your next expansion set and pay monthly when this is the kind of rational treatment you are giving to Paladin players.

When was the last time that Paladins actually received something visually or functionally amazing? Avenging Wrath was and is iconic. But everyone else has caught up on this arms race. We now have Demon Hunters and Evokers. Even priests can use a new ability in Ultimate Penitence.

There is a massive amount of feedback on the Templar forum, giving their preference for a Sword based theme rather than Hammers. You guys still refuse to acknowledge it. Even after claiming that Hero Specs would still be shaped by our feedback many times.

The problem goes much deeper than this, as this is just my frustration surfacing through the Paladin lens.

Take Death Knights again for a quick example. I recently saw comments about how you guys are keeping the Wounds system for Unholy and Breath for Frost Death Knights for The War Within.

Why Blizzard? How could you make this much of a massive mistake? Next to no Death Knights want these systems and abilities. In fact, many have been screaming for a rework all throughout Dragonflight.

Please start listening to your players. They are lining up giving endless feedback for your team to deliver slam dunks! But for whatever reason, you guys ignore it time and time again.

32 Likes

Hammers have been Blizzards take on “Paladins” for a long, long time.
Even in the Diablo series.

How this hasn’t dawned on you as a Paladin main since TBC is confusing me.

92 Likes

How do Hammers achieve any of the goals as stated by Blizzard for Hero Talents?

For example:

They are an evergreen form of character progression for each class specialization that introduces new powers and class fantasies.

Furthermore, this was said…

Feedback is critical to us as a part of creating an impactful and fun addition to the game, so we are sharing our goals for Hero Talents with the community to get first impressions of them and learn how well we’re meeting those goals.

I would encourage you to go take a read through the Templar Paladin feedback forum and come back.

2 Likes

Half the artwork for Paladins is 2h Maces. Tyr wielded one. Draenei Paladins love them in lore. I’m not seeing the issue?

34 Likes

Templar Paladin is the bridge between Ret and Prot.

Currently, Hammer of Light is triggered from Eye of Tyr and Wake of Ashes.

Both abilities stem from our Legion artifacts. Both were also primarily based on Sword themed models.

The decision to make Templar Paladins a Hammer based theme is grounded in no logical sense whatsoever.

7 Likes

I suggest you read up on paladin lore. It should give you some insight into why Blizz went with hammers.

29 Likes

I suggest you read up on Templar lore.

General Paladins are Hammers. That’s great.

Templar Paladins are Swords.

Even go check out WowPedia. The only 2 images shown for Templar Paladins are using swords…

8 Likes

I’m not a fan of hammers either. I would prefer a sword and board look.

11 Likes

Ok. Bye Felicia.

6 Likes

Just going to emphasize this.

Gameplay mechanics of what triggers a spell is irrelevant to lore and the class fantasy they’re putting forth.

It’s fine to not like it, but hammers are a thing for Paladins.

What’s your other Ret Hero talent option?

1 Like

The Paladins in War2, War3, and most of WoW’s art use and have used hammers and maces as their primary weapon. Like others have said, this isn’t even specific to Warcraft, but something they used in Diablo as well (and was influenced from D&D).

There’s no logic behind people throwing fireballs and balls of light at each other.

There’s no logic here. There’s no ‘well we can logically assume’… no.
That’s a losing battle, and always has been.

War3 DKs were always mounted.

Most of the hero specs are just ways for Blizz to replicate how certain classes looked in War3.

Paladins couldn’t jump in that game, that’s why they don’t have their leap.

Listening to players makes this game worse 9 times out of 10.

I’m fine with Blizz just ignoring this because most of this criticism doesn’t matter anyway.

6 Likes

I know that it directly goes against the goals of Hero Talents as stated by Blizzard.

But Templar was the absolute best time to introduce Heavenly Strength. The ability for Templar Paladins to equip a shield and 2 handed weapon.

Especially considering this hero spec is the bridge between Prot and Ret.

Opportunities missed!

4 Likes

There is nothing disgraceful about voicing my feedback here as a longtime paying customer and fan of the game.

You must have also missed my favorable comments about their design direction for Rider of the Apocalypse.

13 Likes

Hero Talents build on the abilities and talents of current classes and specializations.
https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/24074997/get-an-eye-on-an-even-dozen-new-hero-talent-trees

It helps when you actually use their goals, not your perceived version of their goals.

12 Likes

? did you not read the 20 YEARS of this nonsense part of my post

???

1 Like

This is an absolutely unhinged take. Maybe some time a way from the game would be healthy for you.

18 Likes

This is truly, the only thing disgraceful so far in this thread.

3 Likes

LOL there you go complaining again… did you read the part about shame that I typed?

1 Like

What is your logical response to Paladins not receiving Wings of Liberty (Paladin Leap) because that would basically be giving us a warrior ability while Death Knights receive Death Charger?

1 Like

‘Huh, that kinda sucks’ - if I cared.

‘Whatever’ - if I didn’t care.

Paladin Leap is your only real point here. Not sure why you started going-off about hammers and swords.

4 Likes