Why High Elves Didn't Work - A Restrospective

it says it right there in your own quote. “knowen by a new name” like when British people travelled to a new continent and became knowen as americans, they didn’t change race. They are still human.

Race in lore is not the same as ‘playable race’ which is not actually necessarily a race, as Kul’tirans and Stormwind Humans are still both the same race, Human.

Yes, but they are a different kind of elf than Night Elves and Nightborne and High Elves have a lot of history and culture in common that other elves don’t. Particularly a recent point in their history where they were a nation and culture called High Elves.

So when us in the real world are talking about them, we call them High Elves.

I am fully aware of that. and that dosen’t contradict anything I’ve said.

Blood elves are not High elves, because ‘highelf’ is not a race, its is a group of elves, which the blood elves disowened and nolonger identify as, meanwhile Void elves have returned to the roots after the bloodelves also disowned them and some of the newer ones who were Highelves will still infact be high elves AND void elves at the same time.

No one but rp-ers care what rp-ers do except when they try to make changes to the game that effects the rest of us (the majority of players) in ways we do not want.

2 Likes

Geshundtite. Get well soon.

This is a disingenuous twisting of lore.

They changed their name from High Elf to Blood Elf to honor the people mass murdered by the zombie apocalypse.

11 Likes

Left their roots. Being human side kicks isn’t a defining trait.

Blood Elves are the people and the homeland, the continuity of the High Elf culture. Which are the groups people are talking about when they say ‘High Elf’, not Night Elves. After all, Alliance high elves aren’t a formal group like how Blood Elves and the Silver Covenant are. Unless you’re talking about historical High Elves, it shouldn’t be capitalized - in either case it could still apply to Blood Elves. It’s just something the writers didn’t think through.

I guess you haven’t contradicted me either.

Here’s a recipe for cookies:

1. Soften butter. If you are planning on making these, take the butter out of the fridge first thing in the morning so it’s ready to go when you need it.
  2. Measure the flour correctly. Be sure to use a measuring cup made for dry ingredients (NOT a pyrex liquid measuring cup). There has been some controversy on how to measure flour. I personally use the scoop and shake method and always have (gasp)! It’s easier and I have never had that method fail me. Many of you say that the only way to measure flour is to scoop it into the measuring cup and level with a knife. I say, measure it the way you always do.
  3. Use LOTS of chocolate chips. Do I really need to explain this?!
  4. DO NOT over-bake these chocolate chip cookies! But, these chocolate chip cookies will not look done when you pull them out of the oven, and that is GOOD.
2 Likes

Purely from a lore prespective this means that the various races in WoW dont simply subscribe to being defined by their race. This means a void elf could in theory still consider themself a high elf/void elf or heck even a blood elf all at the same time. With any luck we will get future lore about it.

We see high elves and blood elves in Telargus rift, for all we know these new non-void looking elves are the very ones joining them there. At least the lore is ambiguous enough to possibly allow it.

I am sure we are bound to see non-void elf NPC, I am hoping they add some flavor text about it.

They are still Void Elves, regardless of skin tone.

5 Likes

People needed them for their roleplay. They can now do that. They can be an Alliance high elf and side kick in the human potential story, or they can be a blue-eyed high elf who decided the homeland was more important than humans and went home. As far as anyone who doesn’t care about role play is concerned, they can Void Elves or Blood Elves.

Hopefully this means they will be wrapping up the Alliance high elf story and I can play Alliance without having to deal with their story again.

4 Likes

Not sure why the matter of RP is up for debate. You want to say you’re kael’thas sustrider’s long lost brother it doesnt matter.

3 Likes

Proof this was about appearances all along.

5 Likes

This may as well be a troll thread but I’ll bite: Let the subject go already. Further philosophizing, debating, rubbing-in is not needed.

1 Like

People can disagree with something and not be trolling them.

We agree, but it’s going to happen regardless of our participation. Our perspective deserves to be visible, even if you think sharing differing views qualifies as trolling.

1 Like

She did change who she is… she was a famed ranger. Now she’s a void monster.

1 Like

It lends a lot of credence to the argument that it was just about appearances.

I could stomach them saying “Okay, they are high elves, but can we get some more normal looking skin tones?” but that’s not what transpired. Full denial they are high elves until the tones were announced and then suddenly they were. That’s the same to me as denying someone is human due to having one skin tone as opposed to another.

They came from blood elf stock but blood elves are high elves as well. They were always high elves.

4 Likes

If the Horde should have taught you anything it is that what you appear like has no bearing on what you are. Alleria is a hero and has fought to keep Azeroth safe for 1000 years while Sylvanas has made a worse place for everyone.

We also saw N’zoth visions. ANYONE can fall prey to the void.

But I’ve literally seen that on both sides. You cant call out the flaws of one side if the other side has the same flaws. Be fair and call out bothsides.

Sylvanas is no longer an elf either. Both have become monsters. If you fail to see the parallels in the story I’m sorry. They are building her up to be sylvanas 2.0 my dude. But she is a void tainted elf. Part of the new breed of elves that are void touched. Hence they are void elves. Rest In Peace ally high elves. I’m sorry that 13 years ago horde got the race you’ve been clamoring for.

3 Likes

Blizz: here are some skin tones
Me: Ho hum, that’s nice, can they be Paladins n–
Horde players: OMG SHUT UP

:roll_eyes:

1 Like