Why Haste?

Why do disc priests prioritize haste? This is purely from a m+ perspective. I’m assuming haste yields higher hps than other secondaries. However, as a mana-intensive spec, would less casts and larger heals be more ideal for keys?

I’m wondering because I just dusted off my priest alt, and I really enjoy disc’s toolkit. Before I start acquiring more gear and pushing keys within the next couple weeks I’d like to know if haste is still better for keys… or maybe there’s a middle-ground, like some haste but increase priority for crit/vers?

Doing high keys requires to be able to spam heals as fast as you can.
The tank (or any dps) can die easiliy in a fraction of second before you end to cast a healing spell.

Being able to cast a Heal in 1.2s instead of 1.4s is huge and can save a life. (I’m holy, it applies to Disc with Shadowmend)

Also let’s you get more smites in between your dps rotation. Crit is way too much RNG and Mastery isn’t worth.

As long as you go for as much haste as you can get feel free to go for whichever secondary stat you prefer.

Crit, vers, and mastery are all good stats for disc. In M+ people go for Haste/Verse because vers makes you tanky and is just a buff to damage and healing. In raid people go for Haste/Crit because you don’t need to be as tanky in raid and it contributes to more overall damage and healing. Mastery is the least preferred and least optimal stat because it doesn’t contribute to damage in any way but it is still a good stat for healing throughput.

Pick your favorite secondary and do what you want, but as Amantha said you want to prioritize haste.

Because Boon of The Ascended atm is the most important part of our toolkit. Deals most of our damage and the most of our atonement healing throughout a dungeons.

20% haste lets you get 5 Ascended Blasts if you play perfectly. 25% haste lets you get 5 Ascended Blasts Comfortably in most situations. 30% lets you get them off easily even if you weave casts in between.

In Raids it’s important to get more atonements out so that you can hit as many people as possible with Boon heals. If you got 30% haste and get like an IQD haste bonus during your ramp you can get out 10 rapture shields and heal an entire Mythic raid with Evangelism.

M+ you can play whatever stats you like, you don’t have to go haste. Haste is only good for Boon and Shadow fiend bursting windows.

If you find yourself spamming shadowmend on tank a lot then don’t go haste more than 20%.

Thanks for all the input. 9.0 I ran haste/vers. This was a third alt that didn’t get much play, so mostly just 15s. Also, as venthyr, which I’ll probably just stay for now, even though boon is optimal. I’m thinking of running haste then crit to allow for somewhat useful OS as shadow.

At 226 I average ~2k dps (as disc, not shadow lol), which seems kind of low. If I were to switch to Kyrian how much of an increase could I expect? It seems better for large pulls. I kind of like having mindgames up every pull for smaller packs in pugs. So far it’s been more than adequate topping off atonements, plus the mitigation is nice when placed on a priority mob… but we’re talking really easy keys, so not sure how it would perform at > 17

1k dps increase.
Mikanikos soulbind+Kyrian lego, you can boon every 1 min. 3k dps on average, but you have to boon on big packs.

Don’t feel wrong when It’s not 3k tho, in reality you have to shoot Explosive orbs, shadowmend tank and dispel people so your dps will not be maximized.

Holy Priests stack haste in M+ as well because it allows you to get more casts out. Some of these dungeons on high keys are brutal to heal so I take the +12% haste bonus stacked on-top of 22% haste you can pump people through really tough situations.

You can also get more damage casts out as well.

1 min. boon kind of negates my rationale for having mindgames up every pull, since it’s only a 15 sec difference in cd now. That seems incredibly fun to play lol

I was in your exact situation (Venthyr wanting to go Kyrian after hearing about the buffs) and after swapping I found that the 1 min thing is a perfect scenario that doesn’t happen consistently. With the legendary you’ll reliably bring it to 2 minutes, but the Mikanikos ability makes it so you have to hit 5 targets with one cast of Ascended Blast (it makes the first shot an AoE, leaving a DoT) to shave off another minute.

There’s not always gonna be 5 targets for when you need to use boon, stuff like idk, the two big mobs before the first boss in Mists, a tormentor if something goes wrong, or even just using it on a boss to do more dmg.

It gives this awkward feeling of “Is it worth using boon here? Or saving it for a bigger pull later on?” Which is completely different from Mindgames where I would always use it on cd because I know it would be back up soon (And for the mana which was nice.)

If you’re healing things just fine I wouldn’t recommend swapping unless you’re having trouble with large pulls or fortified weeks.

1 Like