Why has physical authentication not been updated?

The replacement is the mobile app. Beyond that, yes, dedicated authentication devices are used for security in things like those you mentioned, but as mentioned the companies who make those devices tend to do so for those mentioned things first. A video game isn’t really a high priority and the mobile app is ultimately a better route for that.

I too have a fondness for the dedicated device, but I can understand moving away from it. For what you need it for, the mobile app does the job just as well.

1 Like

While I can appreciate the argument that the smart phone app provides an additional attack vector through the network, I can recall no instance of that happening.

I’ve used fobs in corporate settings and their cost to corporations is considerably greater than what Blizzard charged. I could easily see where the manufacturers would prefer to market to corporations.

One of the adages of security is that you don’t spend more to protect an asset than the asset is worth. Particularly if the risk to the asset is low.

Free security via a smart phone with no history of being compromised will always beat out paying for that same level of protection. Ask any stockholder.

Additionally, with the track record of the current store, order fulfillment would be problematic.

3 Likes

Several years ago the company I worked for required that at the end of my work day I had to completely shut down my computers.

They gave me a FoB to use to used when I restarted my computers the next time.

I left that company in 2006. I found the Fob in a drawer the other day and it still works.

The company went out of business in 2010.