Why has inscription been abandoned by Blizzard

I know I have complained about inscription being forgotten about before, but another patch has come out with another host of disappointments. Basically all it is right now is a profession to have other people make legendries. The cosmetic glyphs? Those are essentially gone. All it has gotten for new glyphs this expansion is druid forms and one druid spell besides forms. Also one of those glyphs is locked behind covenant rep(Thankfully not a real issue any more) and another one has less than a 1% chance of dropping. The decks which used to be used for trinkets? They havent gotten an update since the start of the expansion, so you literally can get a better trinket just by doing a WQ. There are staves and offhands but I cant even craft a lvl 60 ilvl 200 version of it because the highest I can go is 55. And now the new contracts and vantus runes cant even be made on my own, I either have to beg the new material off of guildies or spend tons of gold on overpriced mats because its new stuff.

Why has inscription been entirely left in the dust?

Also, to add further insult to it, the one place that you can usually find good information about wow info, wowhead, has the following to say about it:

“At present, there are no known Glyphs in Shadowlands.”

If you scroll further down it sort of mentions the new glyphs, but if you just do a quick google search of “Do glyphs still exist in Shadowlands?” the answer you get is no.

3 Likes

I agree, they should have created a new ink from the first flower vs having us need pelts–that’s just dumb. But question, have you gotten the vantus rune recipe yet? Downed two bosses last night and got nothing. CN and SoD, dropped off first boss I did.

I havent stepped inside the raid yet.

The glyphs made sense when inscription was introduced. I wish the profession could provide +5 skill books to skill up old expansion professions. Or a book to have a chance to get an old cooking recipe. I know that does nothing for current content, but I bet there is a market for the completionists out there.

3 Likes

Can we talk for a minute about how it’s most obnoxious profession to use? First you need to mill, then you need to craft inks, then you need to craft whatever it was you wanted to craft in the first place. It’s awful, wow crafting in general feels awful. New World didn’t get a lot right, but it’s bulk crafting was greatly appreciate it, less time crafting and more time actually playing the game, but engagement metrics I guess…

5 Likes

This. When you remember when glyphs were first introduced, there was a whole UI for glyphs, you had cosmetic ones that altered appearances and others that enhanced spells. Ever since that whole system was thrown away the profession of Inscription fell out of flavor. Naturally, the people who first came up with the concept are probably no longer employed at Blizzard anymore so now we are where we are at.

2 Likes

Personally I dont mind that. Being able to mass mill and just afk while it makes the stuff isnt really too bad, other professions have basically the same thing as well, or did anyways with things like having to make bars of metal or turn skins into leather. I get what you are saying though.

Feels to me glyphs and such are barely even bought anymore been debating on going tailoring and enchanting as that will bring in some coin as my server has lots of mages and locks in it.

Good question. Its in the same boat as Archaeology.

I liked the glyph system overall and wish they would pick it back up and do something with it. The glyphs available now probably struggle with usage issues because there isnt enough variety and what is present just isnt interesting to a notable portion of the playerbase.

I think Blizzard had the right idea to change Inscription more towards fun cosmetic stuff and I was super excited when they did. I thought we were finally going to see them introducing fun cosmetics on a regular basis to let people pick a distinct style for their characters. Blizzard just seems to be one of the laziest companies though and puts forth very little effort into fun cosmetics. Without Glyphs being used for that, I think it would need another overhaul to be worth it again.

Right now with leggos in the toilet, glyphs etc are making a good chunk of my gold. Every glyph is pretty much over 100g and many are selling for in the thousands. Good money to be made there

1 Like

Sorry, but just the absolute STATE of inscription in this current xpack and patch is utter garbage.

I remember when those trinkets were worth a fortune, and they were heinously difficult to make but it was worth the time and effort to make great profit and gold.

I don’t understand why they removed that entire dynamic and chance for entrepreneurship.

I’ve been trying to sell the rarer glyphs I can make, and while they do SOMETIMES sell, it’s few and far between.

I’ll sell the mark of the sable ardenmoth maybe every 2 to 3 days or so for about 1800g.

Not exactly a booming economic chance, here.

I dunno, I think they need to just clean house on the shot callers for WoW at this point.

Unless Dragonflight makes gargantuan, forward moving productive changes to professions, class balance, and content (less GDDMN reputation grinding for one), I think this will be it for me, at least.

Trusted steed is one of my decent sellers and its selling for 10k atm on my AH. Sold one today. There is plenty of gold to be made.

Where i do think you have a point is the DMC. I rememebr cata, i think it was inferno? the int deck that was bis for 2 tiers. Thats the sort of thing we want back.

2 Likes

Also, you had the ability to make your own class buffs, inscribe shoulder pieces, and make cool staffs and off-hands. Now it is a profession whittled down to just making beginner-level Darkmoon cards.

Why they couldn’t add more cosmetic like glyphs for dragon flight is beyond me damn shame honestly. I am no game designer but why can’t we have say a glyph for warlock to change your fel guard into a pit lord or perhaps druids a glyph of flame flight which turns you into the hawk that was Fandral Staghelm during the fireland’s

Having just leveled inscription in Shadowlands its useless and OMG the darkmoon card is nonsense!!! RNG cards to make useless trinkets. It might as well be folded into another profession at this point.

The trinkets are usually among the best in slot items at the start of an expansion. All professions are far more useful at the start of an expansion.

The RNGness of Darkmoon cards is actually good for committed Scribes as it creates a larger barrier of entry to people who aren’t able or prepared to do large scale production. Large barrier of entry is where real profession earning comes from.
If anybody can make it, nobody is going to pay you to do it.