Why has Blizzard killed loot drops?

2/3 of my dungeons get nothing, 2 weeks in a row nothing from raid finder, now im hearing they gutting the timewalking and old raid drops.
Newsflash Blizz, no one likes doing content for nothing!

10 Likes

Because Ion thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and thinks he can stretch out player retention by nerfing the crap out of loot drops

10 Likes

Because there were a ton of people complaining about the amount of loot that dropped in BFA. No idea why, in the entire World of Warcraft, you’d be so bitter that you have to complain about getting too much loot. I don’t care if it’s trash, by now we all know what Blizzard does with information like this. The mechanics and loot systems come off as bitter as the players.

I just ran all 9 LFR bosses on my new 60 druid, got nothing but feral memories and resto conduits. I have absolutely no trust in the statement “those don’t take up your loot pool” because I just don’t have enough reasons to trust statements like that.

6 Likes

I think people (including Blizzard) have completely misconstrued the complaints people had about loot early in BfA. People didn’t like that you could get raid quality gear from trivial content like world quests, world bosses, or warfronts, or just titan forged up from easier difficulties. Basically, people didn’t like that ilevel was completely divorced from the level of content you were capable of completing. I don’t know a single person that thought there were too many drops in M+ or raid.

Not bitter about getting loot, but I’d rather it be more meaningful when I get a piece of gear than to have a 30 slot bag dedicated to different pieces of gear. Part of that comes from the systems in place or multiple specs, but I want to work for things and not just get thrown gear.

I fully support a badge/token system and not getting 35 anima for a +30 minute M+ run though. I feel like that makes the most sense so runs don’t feel like a total loss.

Because someone over @ design desk thinks its fun & special to simply award 35 anima…

1 Like

If this is true, then you’re lucky. You’re getting about 6% more loot than you statistically should be getting.

Incoming “but the loot now feels more rewarding and I really like this system, you are just an entitled player” comment.

it’s coming, we all know it.

2 Likes

That’s why I said “by now we all know what Blizzard does with information like this” haha, they never get the spirit of the complaint when they implement the fix. Or they “people say this” in a meeting then it’s probably discussed and they come to their own conclusion as to what the spirit of the complaint is (which is literally always wrong).

1 Like

Except when you get the same pair of pants, and nothing else, lol

They should just make 15’s drop two pieces of loot and an extra one if you time it, I believe that would be pretty fair and incentivize doing higher keys. They also need to increase the ilvl to 213 for 15 keys and an 18 should give 220.

I know they’re bringing back a valor system similar to conquest for PvE which will definitely help for gearing up, especially if you don’t PvP.

Mythic raids loot should be increased to at least 4 with a chance at a 5th piece, 3 is just a silly amount considering how difficult the later bosses can be.

10 and higher should just stop dropping items at the end of the run. They should just award badges. The badges should have a weekly cap, and a small global cap. This will force players to spend them from last week by being unable to earn more until they do. Players can purchase whatever items they desire with these badges at a rate of 1.5 items per week. This brings M+ up to 2.5 items per week like raiding. Unlocking items is specific to each dungeon and the highest key you’ve timed for that dungeon. A timed 15 key should allow the purchase of the items from that dungeon at a level of 220, 14 = 216, 12 = 213, 10 = 210. Completing a 20 key on time allows the purchase of all 233 weapons.

There I just made M+ rewarding, while also eliminating the repeatable content having too many item drops problem.

I’ve seen this speculation in a lot of places, but the only thing I’ve seen from Blizzard is a quote from Ion saying they wanted to look at PvE loot. Did I miss something?

They had an interview a couple of weeks ago and they said something along the lines of, “We’re happy with how the PvP system is working out and we’re looking to apply something similar for PvE.” so most people just concluded they were talking about Valor to work like Conquest which I would be very happy with.

In probably 6 months time.

Except they do. I’ve gotten a conduit upgrade and a piece of gear from the same boss.

Honestly, I believe it’s because they saw how successful Classic was and wanted to try to implement some of those qualities in retail.

Unfortunately, I think they maybe forgot to take into consideration a few things…

• The people who like Classic aren’t necessarily the people who like Retail.
  • The Classic content is significantly easier than the Retail content, meaning gear progression isn’t as critical.
  • By the time gear matters in Classic, there are are more sources.

With regards to the latter, for example, MC/BWL loot is relevant all the way through AQ40, so by the time you’re working on the end of AQ40 you have 2.5 raids worth of gear drops to bolster you. Same pattern for Naxx. In retail, we have raiding and M+, both of which have kind of been tanked in terms of loot acquisition. The bulk of my actual character progression has come from the vault.

M+ is 40% loot drop rate for a timed key (2 items for 5 players). 1/3rd of runs is in line with that, given that it’s a low sample size and/or a rough approximation (OP didn’t specify whether that was “2 out of my last 3 runs” or “2/3rds of my runs”), but 1/3rd loot rate certainly isn’t above the statistical mean.

However, given the player mentioned LFR, it’s possible they are referring to m0 or heroics instead, in which case the drop rate is 1 item per boss, plus a bonus item from the final boss, for a total of between 4 and 6 items per instance. Since those drops are not exclusive, unlike M+ (ie. the same person can get a drop from multiple bosses within a run, while in M+ one person cannot get both items from the chest), the probability is a bit messier, but boils down to a 69.28% - 80.34% chance of getting at least 1 item per run.

The exact quote was:

We significantly reduced the rate at which players earn item rewards, but at the same time also stripped away randomness and tried to give everyone more clear goals to pursue and control over their progress towards them. When it comes to PvP itemization specifically, we’re really happy with how that’s playing out, but we think we can do more to make the experience of running dungeons and raids feel more satisfying when you don’t get a specific item you were hoping for.

Not quite the same as saying they are actively working on applying the PvP style of loot to PvE. I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised if they add a Valor-like system to PvE, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Unrealistic expectations and mis-representing/mis-remembering what the devs have said is what leads to frustration when they go a different direction.

1 Like

I just did normal CN. Only a single piece of loot from 10 bosses killed. I was in this pug for 2½ hours. After the 7th boss and still only anima, I started thinking. Is this what I deserve? Just 35 anima? Is that all my effort is worth? Do you know
how difficult it is for a pug to kill Sludgefist? And this isn’t just in CN, it’s in my mythics and m+'s as well. I’ll go dungeon after dungeon and nothing. It’s really discouraging. I can understand Torghast is supposed to make you feel miserable, but the rest of the expansion, too? Just make the loot system like it is with PVP. You’ve done it before, you can do it again.

1 Like