Why don't the Kyrians just stop?

Okay, so, my understanding of how death works is that whenever any mortal anywhere in all of reality dies, a Kyrian has to swing by and collect their soul to bring it to Oribos.

Fine. Cool.

Except, right now, every single soul they collect is going to straight into the Maw, to reinforce the Jailor’s army.

Shouldn’t they just… stop? I get that leaving dead bodies to pile up on mortal worlds isn’t an ideal outcome, but is it seriously worse that condemning them all to the Maw? Causing them unspeakable torment and swelling the Jailor’s army even further?

7 Likes

Easily worse. The only issue popping up now is the jailer getting too strong, not the fact that people are being sent to superhell. Thems just the breaks.

Oh. I’m sure it’s going to be kyrians furry soul only sometime. They’re still in the process of writing the relevant lore after all.

They already have mawsworns and forsworn. Though, the mawsworn capable of leaving the maw kinda make “the maw walker” less and less of an exclusive club. :laughing:

Wouldn’t it cause their to be an overflow of what, undead and/or ghosts on those worlds?

They do not stop because the Path demands they continue. It is their sacred duty. Their job as assigned by the First Ones at basically the start of time is to no matter what bring souls to the arbiter, and after that it is up to the arbiter to do her part.

Even if they did, you better bet the other cosmic forces would notice all these vulnerable souls and would start snatching them up.

…and the mawsworn kyrians could just keep doing it even if the non-corrupted ones stopped.

7 Likes

Kyrians ferrying souls at the moment:

:pancakes:

12 Likes

Who would find that a problem? Just theorizing. Undead seem to be enemies of everyone. So a stockpile of them in the ‘mortal realm,’ who loses from that? And who would win? Like the void doesn’t seem to be able to influence them that well.

I assume the people living their would have issue with it.
I mean, just being undead or a ghost causes a lot of anguish. So much that they usually just rampage regardless of being Scourge. And are hated for being gross, I guess.

Who cares about the living? The Life realm? I still don’t know what their purpose is. The Titans? Maybe.

The living themselves.
I assume the realm of Death has something in their Purpose that includes that as well. And reasonably if everyone is dead, the cycle kind of stops. In turn they’d run out of anima and die out as well.

Does the opinion of the living factor into the cosmic war?
The death realm just seems an artificial construction from the First Ones. Did the First Ones only create the Shadowlands, or everything?

Like I said, what is function or purpose does the Life realm serve? Do they have fairies that wave their wand every time copulation occurs to form life? A little perplexing as the Shadowlands seem to renew life as well.

That was because the old gods were drowned out by the Helm of Domination’s overwhelming control over the undead. The recent short story showed us just how deep its hold was.

Also wandering souls are not undead. No magic binds them unnaturally, so they would just be… uncollected souls. And they for sure can munch on souls and spit out void monsters from them.

Well again, without living, the Shadowlands eventually dies off.

I don’t have an answer to any of that. Just that it seems if all life dies, the Shadowlands will eventually run out of anima. So they have a vested interest in not having literally all life die.

Does it? Like what power does the Life realm have? Shouldn’t it always be able to produce life? Create new worlds? That’s a huge issue with Warcraft lore… Titans were the world creators, and now… It’s just a mangled mess.

As it so happens, we haven’t really fought Mawsworn Kyrian (or Mawsworn anything) in the other Death realms yet. Only Forsworn. Mawsworn Kyrians in Torghast-style armor have so far been exclusive to the Maw and Azeroth, so it would seem the only way the Jailer’s minions can currently leave the Maw is through the breach that Sylvanas opened, which only opens into the living world above Azeroth. They’re probably still technically stuck in the Maw insofar as they and the rest of the Jailer’s forces can’t escape to assault the rest of the Shadowlands yet.

5 Likes

The domain of life seems to be a cosmic force responsible for creating life, and possibly the soul itself. not as in each individual, but as in creating habitable ecosystems. The energy of life can turn even stone into living things, as seen on Draenor.

Didn’t the Old Gods do that too? Not trying to jab at you, but everything in Warcraft seems to create life. The Titans, the Old Gods, Death itself.

Well yes… but no. We do not really know what the details of that curse were, and they very well could of been some sort of appropriated life magic. The old gods were good at hijacking stuff to their own ends. Blizz never really told us, just giving it the spooky title of “curse of flesh” and that’s it.

Well Life seems significantly less organized than most realms. So far they’ve just had Wild Gods, which are just random strong animals. With no greater plan or system. Whereas the First/Eternal Ones, Titans, Void Lords, Burning Legion (RIP), do have plans.

These realms are more loose organizations based on planes and energy affinity than anything else.

I always thought the curse of flesh was a dumb idea, and now it seems that the Old Gods, void corruption, basically is the life and death cycle of reality. Just makes the cosmology undistinguishable, if everyone can control the other’s realm of power.

1 Like