Why don't players like timers?

Its not timers per say. Adding a mechanic that punishes people for failing will always add a toxic element to any PUG content. And MMOs are based around being PUG friendly. Hence the disconnect for a lot of players.

7 Likes

Because no one asked for esports, but apparently we did, and by golly we’re gonna like it

11 Likes

It’s the same reason those speedy timed tests in grade school don’t really help. Doing something faster doesn’t mean you actually understand it later on. It’s just memorization then putting that in a stressful environment.

4 Likes

the people complaining about m+ timers’’ i like raiding cus it doesnt timers’’ doesnt realize that bosses have enrage timers and you cant sit there and hit it for 10mins neither
lol

1 Like

This as well, I’m the former, I see a timer in anything and I put pressure on myself to the point I end up getting tunnel vision and messing something up.

2 Likes

I don’t like timers because they are a very artificial and “gamey” mechanic, that, for me, is just very world breaking. Sure, there are enrage timers, but those are built into the actual boss mechanics. Mythic plus timers feel like they transport you out of the game into some tournament mode.

Not trying to knock people who like it, it’s just not the reason I personally play mmos.

I also think it has normalized players treating other human beings like trash, because the added stress is an easy excuse for childish behavior. It makes me feel like I’m playing a lobby based competitive shooter.

Everyone is so obsess with “competitive” and “e-sport” features that wow has kind of lost the forest for the trees.

24 Likes

For the longest time the only challenging pve content in wow was raids. And they lasted 10 mins or less. M+ can go for 42 mins.

tbf timer is like a non issue in lower keys.
messing with an alt these days, +3ed a +4 with many deaths and suboptimal plays.

It adds a stress factor i suppose.

I mean i remember when i was 7 years old i had to ask someone to do the bombing misson in FF7’s intro for me cause of the timer, lul.

I guess its the same idea.

1 Like

not everything that it’s actually possible to fail at is automatically an “esport”

they’re the ones doing 1100 dps and having no clue what an enrage timer is

1 Like

You can train yourself to manage this though, kind of helpful to do so even IRL.

If that’s not an option you can literally hide the timer from your UI with addons, i know mine hides them during bossfights, helps me staying focused immensaly.

Keep the mythic + keys but drop the timers completely, imo. As long as you complete the dungeon then you can have your key go up one. For those who actually like to be rushed, maybe there could be an option at the start of the dungeon, “Click X button if you wish to be timed for “greater” rewards.” Maybe the rewards is loot that is +5 ilvls higher or more gold.

3 Likes

If you take away the timers, it’s just a dumbed down version of a small raid. I don’t like the timers, either, but it’s kind of necessary without making every boss or pull a raid challenge. At that point, it’s a better investment of design resources for Blizzard to work on the Mythic raids, since the composition will accommodate a wider array of classes for utility and buffs.

1 Like

A system like this would never work.

One, it means it can be brute-forced.

Two, gear being tied to it heavily incentivize people to brute force it. If you think M+ are toxic now, you haven’t seen anything.

yep. very different from killing the same boss every week and on multiple difficulties.
:neutral_face:

1 Like

That wouldn’t make it more toxic. You’d be joining pug groups that say, “not a timed key run” and +5 ilvl would only make a difference to “hardcore” players. Which I wouldn’t join those groups anyway.

Edit: I don’t know what the reward would/should be, it was jsut an idea.

Those already exist though?

I understand the psychological side of thing but the fact is that the M+ timers mostly serves as a DPS/HPS benchmark. If you can meet a certain threshold during a clean run, you will upgrade your key. That’s valid all the way to 15 at the very least (higher is when you start really needing to gimick but its a non-issue as it offer no rewards outside bragging rights).

1 Like

I am the smell the roses type of gal. I love to look at the dungeon and see what’s there, see what kind of art has put in them. It’s not like that anymore actually, now instances are just a piece of the same boring map you see doing WQ every day.

Everything is rush rush, hurry hurry, skip here , jump there and cussed out if you don’t know all the skips and when to sneak. In my personal opinion it totally ruins the experience for me. (even in normal instances) .
So in short I just don’t do instances if I can avoid it. I’ll go back when I can solo them and enjoy looking around and taking as much time as I like.
As the Pandaren would say “Slow down . Life is to be savored!”

10 Likes

They don’t exist. If you don’t time a key you get no reward. The point is to have options outside of dungeons being timed. The idea behind it is that the dungeon gets harder to run every key without a timer.

I tried that and it didn’t work.