Why does xp off even exist anymore

Logged into my oldschool twink the other day(double GMA trink, STV quest gear from like 2006, basically BiS everything) and decided to join a que while I was tabbed out playing MTG, figured it would take a long time… but I literally sat in que for 6 hours and nothing, no estimated time, nothing. Is xp off literally just for people doing speed leveling carries now? lol

Nope its not even for that, everyone in your party or raid gets a 95% experience persistent debuff that even when you drop the party will last 5 minutes. You can avoid this through the random dungeon queue finder or I think I heard distance from members might do it, but that is about it. Unless you cheat or go to extremes, the npc and capability to disable experience is now nearly worthless.

I sometimes shut off a character’s xp to get a little gear on them before putting them into dungeons. Low level content doesn’t give enough gear for players to keep up.

I used to do that to gear them up without heirlooms, so they would stay in brackets as long as possible. But now that I have my 500 honor level achieve, I get to play for fun instead of chasing some horrific multi-expansion grind.

Lol twinks

There are achievements and content that are locked to level, such as the Herald of the Titans title

Since it was designed for Wrath’s raid endgame, you’d have to gear up hard for your group complete it at level 80. You were level locked simply by being max level of that time. And there is an ilevel cap as well, so you can’t just get a friend to twink you out with gear higher than is allowed.

Usually they remove content like that but for whatever reason they kept it. People still try for it, and they need to turn XP off to not hit 81 while trying to gear up with Wrath content like from Cata or what not.