Why does the Quoting system in these forums suck so much?

Dear Lord, why do quotes not work half of the time?

You highlight a block of text to quote it, and it adds line breaks before and after, which ALWAYS 100% breaks the quote block.

And even when you remove the line breaks manually, the quote block STILL doesn’t work!

Like, in this post: Remix: "Limited Time Event" - #16 by Hirai-moon-guard

For some reason, I cannot get that quote block to work, at all.

The only rule I’m aware of is that the open and close quote commands have to be on their own lines, separate from any material before or after or the contents of the quote itself.

It appears that the quote button does insert blank lines before and after the quote, but that is in keeping with this Discourse software’s stylistic preference for paragraph structure delimited with blank lines.

Quote test, no blank before quote block:

No blank after quote block.

Here is what the underlying code looks like for that:

Quote test, no blank before quote block:
[quote="Hirai, post:1, topic:1832289, username:Hirai-moon-guard"]
And even when you remove the line breaks manually, the quote block STILL doesn’t work!
[/quote]
No blank after quote block.

I think the key is that the quote open and close markers must be on their own lines. If somehow using the quote-creation button isn’t honoring that, you have to manually fix it.

But yet when I try quoting like that, the quote blocks don’t work and I have to remove the line breaks around the quote blocks.

Except for that ONE block in the post I linked, which refuses to work.

It’s all colors of inconsistent, and I find it amazing that in 2024 we have a forum that can’t do quotes properly, lol.

But hey, at least this forum allows BBCode, unlike Youtube, lol. I suppose we do have that at least.