Why does rogue feel so... weird in dungeons?

It’s probably just me but I’m testing between warrior and rogue which I want to main fully in DF and for some reason rogue just feels off for me in dungeons. I’m assuming I’m the only one who thinks so but thought maybe someone here could tell me why.

Rogue not are particularly know for their AoE and cleave damage. Which is what dungeons are all about. Any DPS is good enough to get through the boss fights. But dungeons focus on how fast you can clear the trash. Which leads to “pull the whole room and hope no one dies” mentality. This, in general, doesn’t favor rogues.

1 Like

Does this tend to feel better at max for things like m+ where things live longer? Trying to decide between the two classes since I plan on doing m+, raid, and probably PVP (iffy).

My commits apply to max level, 60 at the moment. Level 70 in Dragon Flight might be different because of more choices offered by the talent tree.

In regards to leveling. It’s really not worth worrying about. You just don’t have enough tools to work with until about level 50 or so. Just run dungeons as fast as you can to get gear and level up.

get 5 cps, pop blade furry and unleash high damage moves. AOE damage.

Thats literally all to got to do for trash, but rogues start to shine in the Time to Kill on a boss or a single target elite.

Mostly outlaw perspective, been doing my one 15 for the week for the last 2-3 weeks: I certainly fall off the meters in some trash pulls. That BF target cap feels bad man. Especially if there’s a havoc in the group, or one of those rare ret pallies that just runs proc bingo (how can you not love ret aoe). But then we get to the boss and I can contribute ute some proper burst.

Conversely, been struggling on my fury warrior, doing much lower content (sub 10s) who knows, maybe im just bad.

It’s really not that bad. With subterfuge and or the garrote talent, you can get up 4 garrotes out of stealth, or 2 and a rupture. It’s all about time management. Quickly figuring out and gauging how many dots you really need to have up to maintain energy.

Rupture refilling energy on death is key. Garrote is the biggest damage.

In a normal trash pack of 4-5 enemies I’ll often

garrote, tab, garrote, rupture, fok, fok, rupture, MFD, rupture, (keep working on filling in energy) and at a certain point based on how fast they are dropping you might just decide to stop applying garrotes and ruptures and go for more FoK, CT, and envenoms to fish for a bomb.

It’s fun because there is no set rotation. Also fun because if you are really on top of things you can offer so much control. Kick. Gouge. Blind. Kidney. CS. You can really control and keep npc casts to a minimum all by yourself.

If you are struggling as assassination, my recommendation is practice against 3 mobs first. Once you get a really good handle on keeping max dps on 3 enemies. Go to 4. Then 5. Then 5+. Most struggling sin rogues I see just kind of panic with a lot of enemies and wing it without having good fundamentals on fewer targets. Gotta keep in mind we are awesome at 2-3 target, and get worse as more and more targets are added.

2 Likes

After a long hiatus raid/dungeons from vanilla through wotlk, i haven’t really done a dungeon/raid since, just solo stuff with each expansion sporadically since.

In any case, i put my hat in the ring and queued for the uldaman event the other day (so first dungeon in maybe 8yrs?), and as assassination i felt pretty damn useless until it came to a boss where i could manage cd’s etc. I honestly felt bad for the other guys in the team i wasn’t pulling my weight on trash (even if they were randoms)

Back in the day i enjoyed the ‘support’ role we offered with trash, especially heroic dungeons/raids initial iteration in first few months of BC, where we’d absolutely have to sap 1, manage a lockdown on a second with blind/gouge etc while tab targeting and keeping dots on another 2/3 mobs, the strategy to me was the fun part

I don’t particularly have a problem with the class (still on catch up mode), its just i feel i don’t bring much without spec swapping per situation, however I still enjoy assassination by a long shot. Saying that, lack of recent experience may be the primary contributing factor to my self assessed lack of performance on trash pulls

um… sub aoe is the most dangerous aoe ive ever seen. shadowlands sub rogue = aoe rogue.

rogue is one of the only classes that can bypass most mechanics. you dont havta play the same as everyone else.

1 Like

Sin is mostly a mess if you don’t know what you’re doing, and that’s okay. Like all classes, when you first get into it, you aren’t being optimal and probably aren’t getting your rotation down correctly. Rogue in general is pretty punishing if you don’t execute your rotation well. But sin especially, and that’s probably why it’s the least played spec of all classes.

Unfortunately, your take on sin aoe is a bit off and that may be why you think it’s such a mess. Of course it’ll change again when we’re 70, but right now it doesn’t look anything like that.

The one thing you have to remember is that we aren’t max level yet so the talent tree isn’t complete. Just look what you can get with 10 more points in the spec tree and 9 more points in the class tree. For assass you can get that 1m cd “your next garrote and rupture apply to a bunch of targets” which will be huge (kinda sad it’s such a long cd should probably be 45s)

Funny you should say that, tuning pass next Tuesday:

1 Like

Lol i kind of feel sad that i am so in tune with my rogue that i could see that coming.

1 Like

It just makes sense to have the CD line up with Exanguinate.