Why does no one ding anymore?

People used to say ding when they levelled up but they don’t anymore.

12 Likes

Because Everquest is near 25 years old at this point. Younger/new players don’t know the reference.

21 Likes

I didn’t know the reference when I started WoW either, it was just something we did because everyone else did.

8 Likes

If I see folks level up in dungeons I /Grats them.

10 Likes

leveling up doesn’t really imply much anymore, it’s a breezy short time. used to be that it implied a lot of time commitment.

19 Likes

I still call out “ding” in zone chat but I very rarely get a response. I only do it because it’s not something that ever happens anymore so I think it’s funny to do. Either people don’t know what it means or they don’t care.

12 Likes

I can remember a guild chat conversation about that years ago. People were dinging so often, and so many people “grats’d” them that it was making up the bulk of guild chat. Some even had addons that did an auto-grats, but those were quickly banned.

7 Likes

Some people in my guild still do it : )

2 Likes

I said it in Classic not too long ago. No one got the refence so I quit saying it on my HC toons.

2 Likes

24 Likes

its the same reason people dont say " whalecome " life is moving forward. and they are dying out.

1 Like

because levels have no meaning anymore, wow used to be about the journey, now it’s about the destination. That’s not necessarily bad, but it does call into question the purpose of leveling.

Leveling is too fast and feel unearned, they’re not an accomplishment anymore - as much of an accomplishment having a pretend number go up was in the first place.

2 Likes

Stuff changes and the player base evolves. There are lots of things we don’t do anymore. I dare you to go to the Barrens on a new Hordie. Not a single Chuck Norris joke will be heard.

3 Likes

Because it’s an old and unfunny reference.

back when BFA came out and we alliance had to do our quests in stormsong valley we would constantly make quillboar jokes (the quillboar questline was tedious and extremely unenjoyable) to the extent that people jokingly started whole forums discussions about a quillboar allied race. We’d spam quillboar quotes on the forums and in stormsong valley general chat.

Nowadays stormsong valley is dead and nobody talks in the general chat anymore.

Somebody post the Garrosh “times change” gif for me

4 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

The 1st gen WoW community grew up and a lot of them moved on in nearly every sense.

I still do sometimes. :slight_smile:

Ding.

1 Like

We don’t ding anymore. now we go super Saiyan three on each level

I’m like super Saiyan level 70 and yet I still take falling damage and murlocs with gnolls and buzzards on a mountainous island, apparently have leveled up with me

:ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon:

cant might get reported and banned if you use that word.