Why does M+ have exponential scaling?

I had some challenges along the way to KSH but it was all due to gear and bad players. Another 2 ilvls made the current m+ level a joke. Heck another half of a ilvl made it a joke.

I wasn’t quite sure what the point was.

I think because it’s not designed to be infinitely doable. There is a ceiling. But rather than just put a hard ceiling above which no key will generate, they just ramp it up until no one can do it anymore.

OK, that makes sense now.

Ultimately it sounds like the problem you want to solve is the gaming of the system to gain rewards that you feel are beyond these individuals’ normal levels of capability. This season has had the side-effect of damaging your experiences in the 18+ range.

The question becomes then – what’s fair? It seems a lot like a social problem to me, and there also is a question of how one interprets the challenge of climbing the ladder. Clearly we’re always going to have people who just want the rating or the gear or some other fluff and will pay for it.

1 Like

I think it’s fair to require a strong foundation of knowledge in order to obtain max rewards. Having very little to no knowledge of critical aspects of a dungeon and still obtaining max rewards isn’t acceptable. Going into those keys I should be able to expect that foundation is there and not quite literally panic run around in random directions. I have seen the panic. It’s wild.

I think it has social implications but is a design problem. The problem is the design, the impact is felt on the interpersonal aspect of the game.

One problem at a time. I don’t care what people buy or don’t buy with their money. If you want to introduce the perspective that okay lets say you invite someone who should have the knowledge but they paid for that rating. That will still happen, there is always exceptions right where a player has way higher rating than they should? However, now we’re talking about an exception where currently it’s the rule.

Yes, the mob damage and health scales exponentially with key level. Each key level above 10 gets 10% harder than the last. So an 11 boss has 1.1x as much health as it does in a 10 (assume same affixes, tyran changes boss hp) for example. But that boss on a 12 does not have 1.2x as much health as it does on a 10 (linear), instead it has 1.1 times 1.1x = 1.1^2x = 1.21x as much health as a 10 (exponential).

The score per key level scales linearly, though, which makes the progression follow a logarithmic (inverse of exponential) scheme. So your score increases a lot as you start out, and as you get up to higher key levels, it starts to increase more slowly (as an output of linear skill increase).

Exponential scaling is favored by most M+ players over non-piecewise linear scaling because the difficulty increase would have to be the same between any consecutive key levels under that scheme. Right now some do 30s. If the scale were linear, everyone doing 20s right now would be doing 10s, if people doing 30s are still doing 30s. High key pushers might then have a lot of challenge finding people willing to run their level because there would be a separate level for 26.2 (new: 20), 26.8 (new: 21), 27.3 (new: 22) and so on, they would have to do more keys of similar difficulty to be competitive. And people just starting would feel less progression, gear would cap at 10 (which honestly might be fine).

On the other hand, if the slope is really low, and the difficulty of 1-10 is extrapolated, people would be timing 188s and have the problem of finding groups even more. I mean why do an 83 when you could probably just get a slightly better group and do a 87 for about the same difficulty?

1 Like