Why does Lava Burst have a cooldown?

Let me just preface this by saying that I recently decided to level a Dark Iron Dwarf from scratch to get the heritage armor and I decide to level as an Elemental Shaman. Because of the general Dark Iron aesthetic I wanted to focus more on the fire side of things, namely Lava Burst, and I was left scratching my head regarding its current state.

With the existence of the Lava Surge proc and the various ways of triggering it, especially the Primordial Surge talent, you almost never have to cast Lightning Bolt and when you do it’s more of a nuisance than anything else. In other words Lightning Bolt almost feels like an afterthought or some kind of a vestigial leftover from a bygone era of shamanism.

Since the Elemental talent tree is already mostly divided up into to a lighting (left) side and a fire (right) side why not just go all the way and make two separate and distinct builds out of it? The class fantasy of using all the elements is a fun one but it’s virtually nonexistent atm given the Lava Burst power creep. It almost feels like Lava Burst was intended to be the ST maelstrom spender rather than Earth Shock and for some reason that was changed but in a very half baked way which has lead to the current status quo.

Aside from that, frankly, the entire Elemental spec tree could use a major overhaul much like virtually every other spec tree that isn’t Evoker. I really hope they shake things up in TWW because the way talent trees launched in DF was abysmal across the board and very little has been done to address that over the course of this expansion.

2 Likes

not to mention earthquake feeling horrible to press lol… i bet 100% of us ele shamans lose our cursor constantly

I mean the question shouldn’t be why LvB has a cooldown - but why the heck we hit it so much. Bring some power back to our fillers - and tune LvB to be more (ie. press it on cooldown or on proc) – and absolutely make Ele Blast (or Earth Shock) worth casting.

Also - Lightning Bolt should innately cleave - delete Chain Lightning.

I’ve never understood why reticle targeted abilities don’t auto cast on your target like they do in virtually every other game that has them. They aren’t even that powerful in WoW.

Playing Ele the other day, it’s weird and disappointing that Earth Shock cosistently hits less than Lava Burst. I get Lava Burst is the main focus of T31, but a spender is a spender, it should do big damage.

1 Like

Because the spec is a joke and the devs have no idea how to improve the spec. It should be a no-brainer that a spender should be powerful but for whatever reason its not.

Having to talent into spenders benefitting from our mastery is also bad. They should make maelstrom spenders benefit from mastery by default and change the “Mountains Will Fall” talent to further increase the effectiveness of our mastery to the point where going over 100% just makes our overload spells hit even harder when going over 100% mastery. So if I have 125% mastery then I’m always overloading and my overloads do 25% more damage.

1 Like