Why does Blizzard refuse to bring back vendors?

I dont have many bad things to say about WoD gearing. I thought it was pretty good.

Class balance early on was pretty bad. Windwalker was in a state where it did less damage than brewmaster in season 1 until it got buffed and by that time I didnt have enough time / conquest to buy my upgrades and buy my appearances. Still unhappy about that because they still have not re-added ensembles back into the game for the transmog.

I’m never going to let that go. Ever.

First of all, I find it pretty hilarious a green is being snide with me because he’s upset about what I said, ty for the laugh.

There’s nothing generic about my own post on the subject, I don’t feel like typing all of it out, again, because I did so on the general forums. Why don’t you click on my “generic copy paste” and look for yourself, smart guy.

These are the facts:

• Blizzard is rewarding players with mindless but time consuming tasks
  • They have been extremely lazy with gear design this expansion
  • They don’t want to add vendors because they want people to “fish”
  • They’re catering to casuals
  • Class design is poor, and shallow
  • Time and time again, they’ve been making steps in the wrong direction. I.E: Maledict, Tank trinket etc.

With the buff to WQs loot, they made Heroic BoD and rating below 1800 feel unrewarding. (Tbh with you, don’t care about lfr/normal BoD I feel they should remove those two difficulties.)

Hey guess what? New gladiator only effected a small amount of players too! Guess it’ll be fine till everybody can have access to everything for doing essimmary quests. Hey guys, this week I can get a Gladiator Mount for helping turtles to the water!

Oh and if you wanna see how broken the new system is now, go look at the number of people above 2400 in 3s atm, it’s a ridiculous number like .1% of the ladder. So rn, Gladiator is harder to get than it was pre bfa, where is the logic in that? Revert back to the old system, make the game feel rewarding again.

Like I said, game has been going downhill since they’ve started catereing to casuals. It’s only dumbed down the game and made it unrewarding.

Vendors are not a “bandaid fix” you’re way out in left field for thinking so, there was nothing wrong with BC/WoTLK’s PvP gearing system. You literally could only buy pieces based on your rating then grind honor to catch up with last season’s gear.

3 Likes

There already is vendors. FOR PVE. What if they buy the wrong item ?!?!

The fact is they abandoned PvP.

4 Likes

They do not want you to have a choice, RNG is all they know now. That and they no longer have a single developer focused on pvp.

1 Like

They really could add a pvp version of titan residuum but I guess they only want trade chat spammed with m+ sellers.

5 Likes

Exactly. There’s legitimately no reason at this point. PvE vendors wasn’t always even there… that’s a bigger slap in the face lol…it’s a new feature added.

1 Like
  • Resilience
  • Vendors
  • WoTLK or WoD system
  • Better class design, more depth/utility

That’s all they need to do next expansion for PvP. They won’t though, it’ll get even worse next expansion.

3 Likes

Not talking about your post. Was referencing the ones above it.

“I dont like the implications but the change itself I have no opinion of.”

To be more clear, I dont like changes like this because they set a bad precedent, like what you described.

What I think doesnt matter. Thats what has been said about vendors and why we currently dont have them. You either move forward with your feedback informed about the design goal or you don’t, I suppose.

The whole “people bought the wrong stuff” seemed like a BS excuse to me. So now instead of a few people getting the wrong items, EVERYONE is getting crappy stuff every week. All my upgrades come from mythic plus, emissary quests, or random drops from arena. The weekly cap is truly terrible in my opinion

5 Likes

It’s the same crap as flying. Apparently, they know better and we’re not intelligent enough to know what we want.

i actually bought the wrong item last week. meant to buy shoulders
but got a chest piece instead. oh noeeezz! remove vendors now! too complicated LUL

2 Likes

Blizzard will almost never 180 on a design choice either, so even though something like Reforging from MoP was awesome and would really help our current loot issues, we can’t use it. They decided no and that’s it.

Same thing with Conquest Points and Valor Points; awesome systems that we had that are now gone to try to force people to grind the game endlessly in order to titanforge gear. We had deterministic ways to get the best gear we wanted, or to upgrade gear we had, and now we get to repeat the same content every single week (or 1-50+ times a day in the case of arena/m+) in order to try to roll the 5% proc and then get a proc on a proc.

Bad decisions upon bad decisions.

4 Likes

The reason there are no pvp vendors is because Ion has never done pvp. His current honor level is 4. He has never bought gear from a vendor. He is a mythic raid logger. He thinks you should do mythic raiding for gear like he does.

1 Like

thats very unfortunate. its no wonder pvp has taken a nose dive. there’s a pve guy in charge of it.

The ultimate reason is that they want gear to mesh better. It’s hard to do vendors unless you have distinctly different PvP gear than PvE gear. Their goal is to make all of the gear that you get from multiple sources (arenas, world content, m+, raids) to function the same. If you get a new piece of gear from any one of the content types, it should be the same base amount of “useful” in all of them.

The challenge of implementing a vendor is how to do it and still utilize the systems in place. Presumably, you’d want to stairstep the gear you get from the vendor up as your rating goes up. However, how do you take things like titan/warforging into consideration? You could argue that you should not be able to buy pieces over and over that have a chance to forge, because then the incentive isn’t to “finish your set”, but to complete your arbitrary point cap so that you can buy as many rings (or whatever piece is least-available to you via the other content types that drop good gear for you) as possible in hopes that one of them will forge for you. If it can’t forge, then you run into the inevitable ceiling issue where you’ve hit your limit in terms of rating, but have access to better gear elsewhere, so there’s no incentive to even want the gear.

That is not to say that the system now is doing it right, because it certainly isn’t. Having the gear gated by the static brackets without considering rating deflation/inflation over the course of the season has created the problem where competitive ilevel pvp gear isn’t really accessible to much of anyone, yet most of the community has progressed to a point where much higher item level gear is attainable through world content or puggable pve content, which has also basically rendered pvp drops useless.

I’d like to see them get this system “right” and make it as good as possible before they scrap it for vendors. There’s a few things that I think could be done now that would at least make it better and incentivize participation more:

1. Give us quartermaster’s coins for scrapping unwanted pvp gear.
  2. Increase the item level of the sigil/trophy you get for turning in coins to the actual item level that drops for you in your bracket.
  3. Reorganize the drop brackets such that higher item level pvp gear starts dropping at lower ratings (say 400/405 from rival and up), but less frequently than higher ratings. (Note: this is similar to how m+ drops. You hit the “cap” very soon with puggable 10s, but as you “chest” the keys and progress past 10, you get more drops from the end of dungeon chests)

With a better “coin” system, I think the weekly conquest drops become more meaningful, because players will have better access to more useful coins to upgrade pieces they want to a more competitive item level. This still leaves open the possibility of getting a nice titanforge from a random drop or weekly chest, but still gives the base level of agency to work towards obtaining the player-tuned set of gear that works best for the individual.

4 Likes

Lol. My empty guild and dead friends list would seem to suggest the majority of people are very unhappy with this expansion. The Your white knighting to Ion’s defenses is not bringing people back.

1 Like

I’m impressed you managed to network the majority of the game through your guild and friends list.

I’m impressed your knees aren’t bruised.

4 Likes

There’s another thread on this. Something about Taco Bell and soft tacos :man_shrugging: