Why do you raid?

I raid and do like content because it’s the closest I can get to the Dungeons and Dragons experience, without needing a set of dice, a character sheet and just my imagination, along with good friends. This is as close to THAT experience, with actual imagery and animations that I’ve been able to get.

No matter what, this game at its core is based on D&D. You even get the Die rolls… although I have to say I’ve never seen more failed Saving Throws than in this game!

1 Like

Thrill>Challenge>Xmog>Story.

Although the story in BoD was SO well done - it was an insane bonus. I greatly appreciated it, but don’t need it for me to do the content.

I couldn’t care about the gear in terms of #'s (ilvl). As long as I can get the tools (gear) I need to progress, I’m happy.

As crappy as I find this expansion I still like raiding. Or I would, but almost everyone I raided with quit the game because they hate this expansion. So, I rarely play at all anymore, because what’s the point of gearing up.

Multiple reasons. For me I would say mostly because its a nice way to play as a group with my guild and be social for a while. Gear is obviously a motivating factor (not much transmog value in this expansion) but it is a good way to improve your iLvL.

Learning the story and experiencing the content/mechanics is fun the first time you to it. It feels nice to defeat a difficult encounter and finally mastering the content.

I hear you. The game used to be that for me, too. But now I am hoping to get back into D&D again.

I love content that requires people working together as a team to overcome. At the moment, I don’t have a guild capable of running raids on a regular basis, but I don’t mind PuGs if necessary.

I raid with my guild and treat it like a social event. We all have fun and goof off. If I get loot that is the cherry on top.

Because it’s fun and I’ve been raiding with the same people since Wrath.

It’s also the one area of the game that pretty much always delivers. DS is really the only raid I can think of that was a let down.

I do it for the challenge and satisfaction of accomplishing something as a team.

Getting gear from a raid is nice but any “thrill” I get from a great drop is insignificant compared to everything else. If raiding was only about the gear to me, I would definitely move on to another game.

1 Like

When I raided back in vanilla > LK, it was to outgear other players and world content. Those days are gone :frowning:

The reason why I stayed from Vanilla on is because of raiding. It is just so much fun doing content like that with a bunch of other players you have a good time playing with. That is why I raid with a guild. I will pug here and there on the weekends at times, but if it wasn’t for guilds and raiding, then I would be long gone.

I know no one likes trash, or wipes, or putting in hours sometimes on 1 boss etc. (although now it is a little different) but when you play with that same group of people and have fun with them, it makes it so much more fun and tolerable.

Obviously the gear too because who doesn’t like gear, but I don’t raid for it. I raid for the progression and the fun times with my guildees.

I just LFR it with Netflix on. Auto attack most of the encounter. I just do it for the story to find out what happens and see it once.

Mostly for the social experience, also for the challenge. My best memories of WoW are with my old raid group, laughing and socializing and killing some epic bosses together. Sadly since that group fell apart last expansion, raiding hasn’t been much fun. PuGs want nothing at all social to come between them and their loot, and guild groups tend to overwhelmingly be friendly, social people who aren’t very good at raiding, or elite players who think laughing means you’re not taking it seriously.

I have for years, but I’m quitting soon. I’m old and never really liked dungeons, as my first was a Scholo that started with something like 12 players joining, and ended with 8 of us while I was trying to understand the concept of tank with large circular groups of adds everywhere, and we only got to the 2nd boss before giving up. Having mostly the same M+ content for two years and making that equal to Heroic gear for a 50 minute Mythic 10 and then giving 410 and 415 purchased gear on top of that from the chest, what’s the point of Heroic raid outside of mythic progress after a month? Also why is one M+ worth more in purchasing an item than hours of raiding? Raiding is fun because we are ALL in there doing the thing.

just for fun

I raid for the story but I seem to be the only person who cares about that so…:confused:

It’s not so much for the gear anymore. You can get almost any level of gear from alternative content. For myself it’s for the challenge. We completed our AotC and while that isn’t “zomg elite” mode or anything, we’re only the 3rd guild on our server to get there. The social aspect of having 20-22 people hanging out on the weekend perfecting our strats and killing bosses is pretty awesome as well. Gear is a by-product of raiding at this point and isn’t the be-all end-all that it used to be.

I never walk into a raid with my guild expecting gear. I go because I want to be with a group of friends.

We laugh, joke, do silly stuff and have a great time. If someone gets a piece of gear they don’t need, they offer it, we roll and whoever gets the highest roll wins it. No arguments, no angst, no wringing of hands, we just move on to the next one. We have a GM who is firm but very kind, who is able to hand over control of a fight to a guildie who knows the fight better.

Recently I haven’t been well and haven’t been able to join the weekly raid, and I so miss it. It’s one of the reasons I keep playing, that social fun. I know people have other aims and that’s fine, we each play for our own reasons. I hope you all have as much fun at raiding as I’ve had over the last few years.

The challenge of large scale PVE. If there was no raiding, I wouldn’t be here.

I raid because I enjoy the character progression side of this game, and because I enjoy the social banter side of raiding.