Why Do You Play DK?

Tell me the reasons why you have chosen Death Knight over a dozen other classes and stayed with it.

It can be for its lore, mechanics, aesthetics, fantasy of being a necromancer or simply because that one friend asked you long time ago.

I’d like to know what is the motivational ground for other people.

Suffer well, knights.

2 Likes

I like bursty playstyles. MM hunter is another favourite spec of mine.

But the class fantasy of DK appeals to me the most. Lich King was big part of my childhood and I love the aesthetic, spells, and abilities.

9 Likes

I pretty much grew up with Arthas and the Lich King’s arc. I played the class since its release.

I also remember Death and Decay innately had a chance to fear someone in WotLK beta and I abused the heck out of it in Hellfire Peninsula.

Good times.

5 Likes

11 other classes.

DK makes 12.

Just saying.

1v10ing alliance and pissing them off to the point they send 3 guilds after me

1 Like

I’ve always liked the fantasy as the anti-paladin/dark knight/Shadowknight trope. Until now I could never really get into it though.

It actually really makes me wish warlock was more like a necromancer. Even if it was just a glyph to cosmetically change your demon’s appearance.

Also more cosmetic undead glyphs plz

3 Likes

Love this topic, as I just recently started playing my Frost DK as my main and now she’s likely to be my main for a looong time because I can’t stop having fun.

The lore/fantasy is awesome. I even have a crazy backstory for this toon in my head - turns out Yennefer from The Witcher 3 was sick and tired of (obviously) being the best hero, only to have Geralt get all the credit because he could swing stupid swords, so she tried to create a portal to find some insanely powerful magical artifact, but it backfired and a copy of her was somehow sent to Azeroth. When Yenneferr arrived here, she decided she’s be the most badass magical sword fighter ever, so she became a Death Knight, and now crushes everything in her path with death magic and her sword. I probably should never get picked to be the writer of anything, but my crazy backstory for her just adds to the fun :grinning:.

Also, the mechanics are fantastic. Easy to learn, more challenging to master, but rewarding when you get it right. The DK is waaaaay tankier then a Ret Pally IMO and just seems to have a nice set of complementary tools for doing damage and staying alive.

Overall it’s just been a blast playing a DK - it’s been by far the most fun I’ve had the entire expansion, and I just don’t ever see myself going back to another toon (Pally, Hunter, Warlock) as my main.

6 Likes

Blood is just fun. It’s nice to see healing numbers go really big.

I play since vanilla but never had a real Main , i use to jump from one class to another until WotLK , i tried DK and i fell in love with the class , i remember playing Blood DPS ( Yes blood was a DPS spec) and just having so much fun , i have all classes but my DK is my main and no class bring me more joy and fun playing.

2 Likes

My guildmates couldn’t handle the traps in the Xy’mox fight in Castle Nathria on heroic(we’re not that great at raiding, it’s more for fun). I decided to switch from Warrior to UH DK for Death’s Advance to clear out the traps. Second try with the DK doing traps and we downed him.

Why UH? I had a different DK that’s Frost so I wanted to try something different. The challenge of learning the 500 buttons was fun.

“Links a picture of Darth Vader and Scorpion doing a fusion dance”

^That all that^

3 Likes

pvp i love freezing people with absolute zero and dunking on them with chill streak then popping the one button burst macro and going ham and being able to take any class but the dk has some glaring issues in pvp i find death strike not enough and stunned/cc’d alot.

this is the first time i mained a frost dk in pvp but im having a blast.

1 Like

Personally, always enjoyed fantasy images of Necromancers and Warriors in games. Depending on setting, I choose between these two classes - and DK is a perfect combination.

I started playing end of WOTLK.
My main was a blood elf Paladin but when my brother started playing at the start of cata and chose alliance cuz he wanted to play human I googled “best dps wow” and frost DK showed up.

I’ve always enjoyed battle mages or melee with range magic spells. I’ve never changed for a single raid tier since.

1 Like

Gnome blood dk. Soloabilities
Death grip
Suffocate
Mind freeze

The mega pull - a mass grip on a dnd with dancing and bonestorm rolling! One of the best combos in the game for tanks.

Slappy hands. Hands down the best ability in the game.

1 Like

I have had interesting discussions and wagers in my guild on which cov abilities will be reimplemented at the end of SL. Current favourites are slappies, the hunt and convoke.

On topic I wanted to dk in vanilla so when the opportunity arose I took it and haven’t looked back. Loved rocking shadowmourne as frost in ICC and was fairly miffed at what they did in legion. Removing our chance to wield a reforged frostmourne was an egregious misstep by blizzard imo and never should have happened.

Because I’m too lazy to start over with another class.

2 Likes

I think for all three specs their should be a grip row.

1. Slappy Hands
  2. Gorfiend’s Grasp
  3. 2 charges of Death grip w/ extended range

This would mean slappy hands wouldn’t do damage anymore but I’d be fine with that. For me the main thing is the utility. All three would be situationally good.

1 Like

Interesting idea a row to empower your grip, I could foresee everyone taking slappers though. RIP anything else on the row with gathering storm…

1 Like