Why do YOU play a Hunter?

I created Thorland back in vanilla in order to play something while my friends weren’t on. Something kinda easy since I was brand new to the game. Shortly after he became my main and I focused on him out of habit. I tend to pick one thing and that’s it. From then it became an RP thing. I loved the idea of playing a dwarven rifleman going around and protecting Azeroth. I also have a love of bears, so being able to tame and fight alongside them is a lot of fun for me.

I love kiting folks in pvp. It never gets old for me lol. It’s more difficult to do these days with all the gap closers but sometimes, you get that perfect kite, where they don’t lay a hand on you and you utterly destroy them from range. That, my fellow hunters, is what makes it all worthwhile.

3 Likes

Because I’m not all that experienced with hunters, how do you kite well when, to my understanding, Aimed Shot (which requires a lot of standstill) seems to be an important part of your rotation?

Good use of Concussive the tools at hand. Concussive Shot and Tar Trap to slow them down and start from there. If there is great enough distance, LnL Procs, or CC used, Aimed can be hit. Note that this is just for learning to kite, it gets better from there.

1 Like

Reason I play hunter is because I like to tame exotic beasts and run amok all around Azeroth killing things.

Lol I feel like a lot of people’s Vanilla stories are like my parents telling me how they had to get to school in the snow, backwards, up a hill, carrying their boots. Vanilla for hunters was a lot of stuff. You had to buy all your ammo, and food for your pet. In fact, pets could run away if you just left the game on and they got hungry and their happiness got too low.

Autoshot did not cast while moving, so pvp was a totally different game, and the specs weren’t balanced. I LOVED old world pet stalking though. I would stay up way late to try and get a spawn on certain pets, and I do remember hearing stories of people kiting monsters to cities.

1 Like

I used to play Mage almost exclusively. Started as Mage in Vanilla. Then in WoD I tried Hunter on a whim. Now I will only play full pet classes as my main DPS (so Lock or Hunter). There are just too many obvious advantages in gameplay QoL. Having your own personnel tank who follows you around is just awesome.

1 Like

I feel like a pokemon master.

I play solo and hunter is the whole package.

3 Likes

Camouflage. The best stealth ability in the game(hardest to detect). Feign Death, which is the best way to snap out of combat to commit to emergency out-of-combat things like mounting or getting on a skimmer.

If Hunters couldn’t stealth I wouldn’t have bothered at all.

As BM I can use every ability while moving. I hate being still. Also, I can solo pretty much anything in the open world with my pet. It’s just fun compared to classes that have anchor feet or struggle to solo fairly weak mobs.

2 Likes

I created my first Hunter long time ago. I was a hardcore Warrior in Vanilla. In TBC, DPS Warriors became obsolete. TBC 5-man dungeons require CC and Warriors has NONE. DPS Warriors cant tank anymore on DPS specs. So I have to let go of my warrior.

I created a Hunter who was OP back then. On 5-man dungeons, she can freeze trap one target, kite and second target while nuking the 3rd (main) target and still top the damage meters. On PvP, Scatter Shot plus Aimed Shot is so OP. My target has to cancel my Scatter Shot or he’s dead when my Aimed Shot hits him. It usually take out 50 to 70% of his HP. I am very sorry to tons of targets that received KillBlows from me just from this simple strat.

On WoTLK, I switched my Main to DK. They were FoTM and was the highest DPS back then. But I geared up too my Alt Hunter. It so happened that my DK failed to get her Trinket while my alt Hunter got 3x of that trinket. My alt Hunter hits harder than my Main FoTM DK on any fights in ICC including the Lich King. But I switch specs depending on fights. I was Survival on Lich King fight who was OP on AoE… Volley + Explosive Trap + Multi Dots can match any dual DoTs of DK on AoE. BTW, laying traps is part of AoE rotation of Survival Hunter back then. But I switched to MM when on Single Targets.

I never played BM coz I dont know how to play it until Pandaria. I played all of the expansions but I was no longer a Hardcore player.

On Legion, I posted on forums on WHAT THE F they did to Hunters. I remember I posted WHO THE HELL TOLD BLIZZARD THAT I NEED A MELEE HUNTER? I rather play my Warrior and DK than to play a MELEE Hunter. And why did MM Hunter lose her pet becoz of Lonewolf? I want the same Hunter as before… A Range DPS’er with PET. I have no choice but to play a BM Hunter.

Lots of BM Noobs in Legion. They said BM Hunter sucks on AoE. This is so becoz they never put points for it on their Artifact Weapon. They said BM Hunters wont scale at high ilevel. This is so becoz they set their gear, talents and Artifact points to support their Range Weapon and their main Weapon is not the Range Weapon… it’s the PET.

Up to now, lots of noobs on BFA playing BM Hunter whining of DPS. I am just Casual but I understand why my DPS is so low on the new raid. It’s becoz the freaking Raid Leader asked me to do something else instead of me padding the Damage Meters like the other DPS’ers who cant soak, who cant do Raid mechanics, etc. Becoz on my Mythic + run, I rarely get outdps’d by other classes of the same ilevel.

But I still love my Hunter. I will play it my way and I wont be discouraged by whining Hunters in the forums.

1 Like

I feel exactly the same way.

With reaping there are quite a few classes who will outdps you, but overall BM performs well and is quite competitive in M+. In M+ overall dps is, IMO, the most important metric due to it being timed and as BM I am either on top there or not far behind even if I can’t hit the big numbers on reaping that others can. Also, I can stun, slow, and even tank reaping when the tank dies. All great things.

Hunter + ranged weapon + big crits + “Headshot” sound addon = happiness.

1 Like

This is curious though! I forgot to mention, but basically the ONLY melee class I’d ever enjoyed beyond ranged classes was the Warrior, but the reason for it was that I don’t like chasing my targets all the time. Since the warrior had such high mobility, not to mention that charge was instantaneous, I never felt like I had to run around all the time, so I really enjoyed it.

The things that bothered me about the class though were that warriors don’t have anything magical going on at all. It’s pure weapons combat. And back in the day they didn’t have cc that let you control where targets stand, so when Blizzard made Survival a melee spec, I was super happy to once again have a use for all the cool melee weapons I had previously collected (Hunters have my favorite weapon assortment, because I don’t care for maces) and I was happy that Harpoon shared the same functionality as charge. It was like my best chance at playing a melee class.

The issue for me was how the remaining ranged specs changed afterwards and how I no longer had both uninterrupted shot rotations AND movement at the same time. BM is really close to that, but…

I liked the idea of a hunter using what he found in nature.

Poison and fire covered arrows with a little of my black heart mixed in for shadow.

Loved the cata/dragon soul survival hunter. Was beautiful.

Then having some rare pets. Always fun. This guy is a…was lol, a leather worker. Made a couple pieces of gear and raided.

Was more fun a few years ago.

Now I play hoping that blizzard will fix their mistakes. do consider melee survival just that lol. I have a pally, warrior, mage, lock all maxed too. But this guy was always my favorite

1 Like

The tracking and utility mostly. Drop all aggro for both me and my pet, camouflage, consistent 30% run speed increase out of combat, fall from any height without dying (Disengage), flare, traps, pet works like a physical DOT that you actually have some control over, and more reliable soloing with a pet that can share aggro, or take all the aggro. The survivability is fantastic. Also, highest consistent damage with full range of motion (not highest damage, just highest consistent while running around, meaning we have the lowest DPS loss while moving, or we did last time I checked. I just came back after being gone for several years).

1 Like

I have played a lot of MMO’s my preferred genre. I have played a Hunter off and on since launch of WoW because it resembled my favorite class out of any MMO I have ever played… SWG Creature Handler / Rifleman or Doctor.

I like pet classes, very few games have placed them in correctly. The only other game that I think did a good job with a pet class in EQ.

i like bow and arrows.

I wanted to play an archer. I really enjoyed it in WOD. Legion MM made me quit for a while, but i made myself learn it and get used to it. Still preferred WOD MM. Sadly, BFA MM i just can’t stomach. it’s SO slow… so susceptible to ground effects… i just seriously get drowsy playing it. i hope the next expac MM is a little more exciting.