Why do you not provide active data on realm populations

How would players use this data? After reading this forum I conclude that 99% of players would use it to criticize Blizzard. No other purpose. No wonder Blizzard doesn’t provide it.

As you point out, it is different data for different play hours. It is also different for weekends. And for different factions. And for different levels of player. So it would take many numbers for each server. And it would change every month.

Was it unplayable for 2 months, and you didn’t notice? Or are you talking about the “unplayable” that every Alliance player is claiming happend on every PVP server when Honor went live? Bad news: ALL the other realms are the same. NO data from Blizzard predicted this 2 months ago, on any realm. So this data would have misled you.

A vague attempt at stopping players from reacting to changing populations. After 15 years of people on the forums claiming “WoW is dying” I can hardly blame them.

oh did we hurt their fee fees? or is it affecting $$$

I wonder just how much the accuracy of the data matters.

I mean, the OP’s server the seems to be relatively much smaller in population than say the high/full realms like Faerlina, Herod, Fairbanks…

And the faction balance appears to be a little better than 40:60. Would changing that to be closer to 50:50 make a substantial difference? Would that appease the wishes of the OP?

I’d say we could maybe look at Netherwind for some insight, but on top of having an almost 50:50 balance, it seems to have a considerably smaller population as well.

False dichotomy.

accurate data for what to see where players chose to play and what factions they chose that should be obvious shouldnt it?

re roll on apve server if you dont like wpvp or wait for server transfers to open then you can PAY to leave.

Probably not a whole lot, to be honest. As long as there are people on both sides collecting data, we should get a reasonably accurate picture in terms of faction balance (but not in terms of total population, obviously).

And by reasonably accurate, I mean something like ±2%. 58/42 is effectively the same as 62/38.

I don’t think making the factions 50:50 would solve the “WPvP” issues. Nor would it silence the complaints. It’s just an ideal to reach for to provide somewhat better gameplay. I say “somewhat”, because even if servers were exactly 50:50, one faction would probably still control BRM significantly more often.

On Herod, the alliance seem to be more active at PvP than the horde, despite the Horde outnumbering them. I’m told this is down to a few guilds organizing together to hold BRM and other locations. It’s likely that other servers would be the same.

I talk a lot about this topic because I find the demographics interesting, but I really don’t have a dog in this race.

1 Like

u can deflect if u want but im not satisfied with

people claiming wow is dying isnt exactly a misconception it has been in decline for years now. they spent development time to hide numbers

In theory though, more balanced populations would provide more back and forth control; giving windows of opportunity for each faction.

As it stands now, on high skewed servers, 1 side always has opportunity, while the other side rarely has opportunity.

Balancing populations wouldn’t be a magic bullet making it perfectly fair, but would provide potential for each side to take control; and that is what I think most players asking for balance are wanting; the potential to fight back. Right now, on more than a few servers, that potential is just not there; even if the lesser side organized, they do not have the numbers to really fight back.

Just my understanding of the issue and my observation playing on a lopsided server.

How do you know the server is not 50/50 ?
It may be that for faction balance but 80/20 at max level.

Because they’re afraid of the inevitable alliance meltdown when it turns out the realm population numbers they keep crying about are actually nowhere near as extreme as what they claim

Agreed, I see your point.

The data we have, and observations of zone populations as we play, points to it not being balanced; but you are right, could be 50/50 faction split and a leveling difference, or a sitting in city difference.

So, like I said, would not be magic bullet to solve the issue; but better balance of factions would only be a good thing. It would remove one thing that could be causing one side to dominate the other so massively.

Yes facts are scary. and if there were facts then they couldn’t post a new ‘wahh the servers are imbalanced’ post every 30 seconds instead of crying in one of the myriad of other ones.

Don’t get mad at me for not thoroughly addressing bad faith arguments.

That’s the theory. I’m not convinced that it would play out that way.

It doesn’t mean Blizz shouldn’t take action. It just means that the issues can’t be solved by balancing the populations.

doesn’t help that the majority (shown by characters they make and results of free and paid transfers) does not want balanced PvP servers.

like i said earlier

pretending that u can hurt blizzards feelings to the point that they try to prevent criticism is just low level thinking, blizzard isnt a person its a company that is driven by profit. there has to be a profit motive behind the change

I’m not convinced it would either. Lol

If there was a non intrusive way to address it, that would be awesome; but not sure at this point there is.

Which is why I am looking at different options for myself, including rerolling. Because even though I chose horde and wanting pvp, I ended up on one of the few servers alliance dominated…lol…breaking my leveling.

So, now I’ll look at my options and solve the problem myself, but I can understand where others not happy with the situation are coming from; so I have a bit of empathy.

The fact that people react differently to the imbalance doesn’t mean they don’t want there to be a balance.

This is what I mean by “bad faith argument”.

Get back to me when you grow up enough to have a cogent discussion.