Why do you not provide active data on realm populations

could you link it i cant seem to find one from you

I can.

/10char

oh sorry, will you pretty please link me to your valid explanation on why blizzard is hiding census numbers

I have no reason to do so, and thus won’t.

ya thats what i thought, see ya

Oh I’m sure you’ll definitely leave and not come back. :roll_eyes:

Because the greed of corporations don’t care. They will take your money and keep taking it until you unsub.

Your just a number in a spreadsheet.

Is Blizzard hiding census numbers?

Kind of. They don’t release the data, and have recently broken addons that have existed for a long time to collect such data by tracking characters.

AFAIK, they removed the being able to use automated /who() API calls, which isn’t exactly the same as breaking addons.

WowClassicPopulation uses the CensusPlusClassic addon, which works and is still in active development, with the developers being accessible through their discord.

Which is different from hiding it. I would not accuse you of avoiding mowing my lawn, simply because you do not do it.

The function was SendWho(), and that’s what “breaking addons” actually means.

Blizz can’t change the code of the addon. All they can do is disable whatever feature the addon is using.

It’s not the same anymore, with the addon having to piggyback off of the UI calling /who, it now requires the user to click.

It’s a requirement of hiding the thing, which is why I brought this up. In order to interpret this argument as “simply because they did not do it”, you have to ignore the context I provided in the rest of the comment. Please don’t start that nonsense.

And you probably would accuse me of avoiding mowing your lawn if I didn’t do it AND I threw out the wheels of the lawnmower. Sure, you could replace the wheels with sled runners, but I’ve made it more difficult and annoying to actually get the job done.

I certainly wasn’t trying to start any nonsense. I did not know there was any reason to believe that disabling SendWho() was related to intentionally breaking census data addons.

I had assumed it was related to the LFG addon, but I suppose I don’t have any particular reason for that assumption either.

That’s basically all that uses it.

A lot of people were claiming it was supposed to break ClassicLFG… but it didn’t break anything related to that addon as far as I can tell.

Even at 40 60 thats a huge number difference when talking about 1000s. Its not 3000 as we all know its what double that and more on some servers is it not? Anyways pretty lame for pvpers no matter the factions

I totally agree. Its density. But people want to turn it into “ltp” or “pvp happened”

They do Blizz a favor being so…dense about it.

1 Like

From some CensusPlusClassic dev issue comments for the source code:

it seems Blizzard disabled the sendWho() API call in a hotfix yesterday. Addons can no longer use this function. This breaks all Census addons. There’s speculation that this was done to limit LFG addons, Census is just collateral damage. Damn shame. I’m not aware of a workaround atm.

reference: https://github.com/christophrus/CensusPlusClassic/issues/17

That doesn’t clearly show a direct connection between breaking SendWho() and the ClassicLFG addon, and I could not find any mention of SendWho() in the ClassicLFG source, except for here: https://github.com/DomenikIrrgang/ClassicLFG/blob/10fad93d5c33d05edb577373cd5f674d0e3420ad/src/util/util.lua#L89

I’d be curious as to whether there is any compelling information that would point to reasons for disabling SendWho() as a public API call that are related specifically to preventing consensus or population data collection.

I found one spot in the util.lua… but it’s still there (line 89 of the current source), and it doesn’t appear to be part of the core functionality.

It’s like someone did a search for that function call in classicLFG and went “oh I guess ClassicLFG is broken now!”. IDK

Oh FYI: you can just download the mod and look at the lua files. They’re not compiled or obfuscate in any way.

That wowhead info is 3 months old dude.

I saw that, hence the link directly to line 89 in the util.lua :wink:

Ha! Yeah, there’s some mention about it in the blue post, but no mention there about SendWho(). It doesn’t seem immediately obvious (to me at least) what functionality they changed (other than SendWho()) in response to the LFGAddon, nor particularly how (other than as linked) that change would affect the addon - I imagine, just as with consensus addons, it would be trivial to have people trigger them manually, and maybe even expected.

Oh, right! I hadn’t even thought of that… I suppose since lua is interpreted, that would be the case with all addons! Good suggestion. Thank you :slight_smile:

The Classic population was warned prior to begging for more realms that many would feel dead within a couple months. They ignored the warning.

This is just another example that the players should be mostly ignored.