Why do so many more people have epic mounts than I remember in vanilla?

Is gold really just that much easier to farm due to increased game knowledge? I didn’t even farm any gold and never used the AH and somehow still had enough almost right after hitting 60 and it seems like pretty much every 60 has a 100% mount to the point where you immediately get singled out and made fun of if you don’t. Strange.

1 Like

More gold in the economy due to higher server populations, which results in more quests being done, mobs being looted, etc. Plus people are more savvy at making gold anyway now.

8 Likes

It is almost like people have had 15 years to learn about the game and figure out the best ways to make money and/or not waste their money.

You are correct though, way more people have an epic mount than did back then. I had 4 60’s in vanilla and only had 1 epic mount. Oh wait I take that back I did get a 2nd one later on.

21 Likes

So you didn’t farm or play the ah but had enough gold when you hit 60 and are curious how people have epic mounts? Uh, what? You answered your own question.

2 Likes

15 years of knowledge gained and layer farming.

5 Likes

I just learned my lesson this time about not spending on dumb stuff like slight upgrades on the AH and re-spec ing for fun all the time. Still hit 60 without quite enough gold, but i’m only 100g shy and have an Eye of Shadow up for sale on the AH that hopefully takes me the rest of the way.

2 Likes

Players keep trying to convince themselves that this modern Classic is actually like the real Classic was. This new iteration has so many differences it’s not even funny. The whole #nochanges thing is hilarious. It won’t be long and nearly everyone will have an epic mount.

16 Likes

I’m wondering why this is different from both my vanilla and pserver experiences. People knew about only buying useful skills and other gold saving tricks in vanilla as well. Money management is universal.

I’ve personally noticed that blue and epic BoE world drops are dramatically buffed from vanilla.

1 Like

Higher server pop means that, in absolute numbers, you will see more people who got lucky with drops and had tons of money made for free.

Personally, I hit 60 with about 390g, having done nothing out of the ordinary and with appropriate cost-saving measures. Somewhere in the 500’s now with about 14 hours played at 60, so I don’t expect it to take too much longer.

1 Like

Everyone I knew in vanilla had epic mounts. I don’t understand the confusion. Add to that everyone that played in vanilla learned the smartest approach to playing if they want gold.

5 Likes

The layer farming exploit gave many a first advantage until it got sorta nerfed. Then farming dungeons at the advanced levels well ahead of everyone else. Don’t worry, these guys are bored now and complaining lol.

7 Likes

For most of vanilla quests at max level didn’t automatically convert XP to gold, that was a change they made to get ready for BC, whereas in classic that’s all there from the start.

1 Like

Well… well I don’t have one. Actually I only have like 300g. Where are you people getting your gold from anyway? China?

1 Like

Because they cheated and didn’t get banned.

6 Likes

If it makes you feel better, i played classic-Cata, kind of played a tbc pserver between them, and i only have 400g right now. Working my way to 1k but i dont have my epic yet despite being 60 for almost a week and a half

it’s not hard to get. I’ve farmed 3k gold at this point. Got my epic mount, double freezing bands, archmage robe, and just spent 300g on the +30 sp enchant. Gonna test out lasher farming soon since maraudon ghost mushroom farming isn’t great anymore.

hell frost the streamer has 11k on his character.

if you want your epic mount just follow 2 simple rules.

#1. don’t spend any gold until you buy your target item

#2. research your classes most efficient gold farm per hour. Find out which one is enjoyable to you and put in the hours.

most of my friends that play don’t have their epic mounts because they keep impulse buying blues or other random stuff. DON’T SPEND ANYTHING.

Could have just been your sever?!?

Made 100G just today selling a white-tier recipe cross-faction (Horde to Alliance). Made another 20G today selling a different white-tier recipe cross-faction (Alliance to Horde).

Didnt know to do that back in 2004-06.

Partially yes. More people are stingy about what to spend gold on because we know what’s going to go down. We also know what BoEs are crazy good and sell at a good price.

Also some people set aside time to grind mobs for gold more than they probably did in the past. Really though I haven’t grinded mobs at all, I am 100% quester/dungeoner and I have 160G ATM, and I fully expect to be at around 200G when I ding which is far more than I expected to have. Not sure what I’ll do for gold after the fact, but since I don’t think I’ll be looking to spend any and will just grind stuff like BRD and UBRS/LBRS I just expect it to naturally accumulate.

People are better, more efficient players than in 2004. Classic has been theory crafted to death, so there is much better info and tools for understanding currency farming (remember thottbot?). People came into classic with guilds already intact and specific plans for farming etc.

The players have evolved, simple as that.

3 Likes