Why do people have an issue with boosting?

First off, let me state clearly I do not hate boosters/carriers, I dislike boosting/carrying. It’s not people, it’s the action.

And these are my reasons:

A) It breaks the integrity of the game.
Titles, mount, achievement are framed in the game as items to be earned, not bought. When you buy them, you are breaking the frame, and therefore the integrity, of the game.

B) It is unethical.
It’s like me paying my grandson RL money to give me Boardwalk in Monopoly. It is corrupt behaviour based on a corrupt ideology that money should entitle people to anything they want. (Which is what led to the 2019 college admissions bribery scandal.)

C) It is dishonest.
Since the in-game framing is that those items are earned, it makes it look like the buyer earned them when they did not.

D) It casts doubt on, tarnishing, rewards earned legitimately.

Now I am casual solo so none of it effects me in the least but that doesn’t mean I can’t look at this behaviour and see it is a corruption of the game.

And sad, because if folks are willing to sell out their integrity for a title in a game, they must be easily corrupted for real rewards in RL and last thing the world needs right now is more ethically-challenged people.

22 Likes

Can’t see why you would get roasted, that’s just straight facts in regards to how PvP gearing is designed at the moment.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Your definitely new around here aren’t cha’.

1 Like

Half the hate I do see for sure lol.

There is them and their crew. all 25 hand picked. Even the last spot 25 was picked because raiderio said they were a mere 2 points better than the other person.

And they are still working on that goal.

and their is the carry crew. Hey guys…We need gold. How many spots can we have dead weight carries and still bang this out like clockwork.

3, we know you we can do this 22 peeps.

and up goes 3 slots for sale. Sit there and look pretty…as you’d probably mess up our mojo.

well most people don’t have much money and not only that but because of booster there isn’t much people willing to have have fun in the starting zones and enjoy the experience in game you get lvling up your character.

at least that is i think people see it, personally i am with you i don’t see nothing wrong with boosters because i still see people playing starting zones and i still see people enjoying the lvling experience along the road.

thing is it is more fun if you have friends to join you and well?..

(here is a sad truth a lot of people in wow don’t have friends)

gamers take alot of pride in achievement and boosting just destroys that completely

3 Likes

1 Like

Why I avoid normal bgs alot lol. Eye of the storm gravity brawl I faired better. If only because when fit hit the shan…I could if lucky pull a disengage, gravity leap and get the hell out of that mess not via graveyard express.

Its normal arathi. Not comp stomp. Watch the lumber mill.

Sure…180 ilevel since I woke up the alt recently. This will end well.

In comes the warrior and he does horrible things to me.

Why’d you lose the point, dude?

Umm…he killed me before I could even say “BS has incoming” in chat.

Nope. Somewhat for some players. For others it will be far worse. Gratz on completion of your successful project to make sure that no new player will be doing PvP for the rest of the expansion. You won! What did you win? A smaller game with less participation and a dying blayerbase. But you won, and that’s all that matters, right?

That’s why I like to play stealthies. They have a 3 second longer window to call for help.

3 Likes

Well because… people use to be awe-inspired by tier gear and hard to obtain mounts & and titles. You’d know (or at least were 99% sure) that this player put in time and effort to get what they got.

Now nobody knows anymore, now nobody cares.

2 Likes

I don’t hate booster. I highly dislike the game environment that Blizzard has created.

Blizzard has turned a large portion of their players into Chinese gold farmers to feed the WoW token system.

Meanwhile another portion of their player are throwing money at monitors to satisfy their need for instant gratification by buying WoW tokens to pay for their boosting.

The WoW token system and boosting devalues the efforts of those players that don’t take part in them.

WoW was once built around a players efforts and skills. Now it’s built around paying to avoid actually engaging in and playing WoW. This is all Blizzard’s doing. They knowingly created it.

So once again I have nothing against boosters. The players taking part in boosting isn’t the reason that more and more players are speaking out against boosting. It’s the type of game that Blizzard has turned WoW into that they have an issue with.

9 Likes

Boosting in general is an extremely controversial topic in the WoW community, and you’re not likely to find many fans of it, despite gold boosting being entirely WoW-legal (as opposed to the real money version). While the practice itself is contentious, and there are many arguments on why it hurts the game.

First off it the easy way out. The part of an MMO or any RPG really is progressing your character. Yet, with boosting you do not need to learn your class and when you decide that you are all geared out you might think “hey I will start my own raid”, and boy are you going to suck. You going to have other players angry cause you just stand there doing nothing.

Second selling boosts for real money is forbidden but selling boosts for golds is allowed. The token was implemented to give players an officially sanctioned method of gold-buying. WoW has long been plagued by gold farmers using bots as a way to collect and then sell gold to players via various third-party websites, an act which is against the game’s terms of service. Yet, you are still using real money to buy gold but this exchange goes to Blizzard and not gold sellers so it all okay.

Third when selling keys, most are top end players who are mainly just trying to gear alts asap. They then in turn also boost other people in either top end pvp/raids/M+ for pretty much the exact same reason… The economy is so weird in this game, it’s just boosters paying boosters who pay other boosters. It just becomes a cycle of get gold enough gold to avoid the hassle of playing.

Fourth you are not safe from being scammed by a seller, Game Masters cannot restore any of your losses, but will take action against confirmed scammers whenever possible so they won’t scam other players. You take a gamble sometimes with these boosting groups it not common but it happens and you will get no sympathy for it.

Last tokens does give players with mountains of gold the ability to purchase power, albeit in a roundabout way. From expensive new ranks of powerful legendary items to “carry runs” from experienced players through rated Arenas, high-level Mythic + dungeons or higher difficulty raids, each which grant players some of the best items in the game, it’s all available in exchange for gold. However, this gold does not just show up in your bank that means you can go sell runs to make that money or just purchase more tokens with real money. This leads to a situation were you are paying out of pocket to boost your character.

Raid boosting, to be clear, is not against World of Warcraft rules, and in fact is a relatively common practice. The concept is simple: I, a new (or just bad) WoW player, want the swanky loot but have no realistic hope of ever getting it myself, and so I throw a pile of in-game gold at you, the veteran (and good) WoW player, to guide me through the game’s toughest raids. Even if I die along the way, and I almost certainly will, I’ll still get my share of the reward when it’s over. What boosting gives you is it lets you bypass the gear grind. This gives you better access to lower end guilds that may possibly be recruiting anybody with gear. Once you get into this guild, you hunt for those nice parses and repeat this process until your parses are good enough to join a better guild. Now repeat this again and hopefully you get into a guild that meets your goals.

Gold cannot be purchased directly in World of Warcraft, but it can be had indirectly with WoW Tokens. Tokens sell for $20 in the game and can be redeemed for 30 days of game time or $15 of Blizzard Balance—or they can then be sold in the Auction House for gold. Prices fluctuate, but online listings indicate that one token typically sells for a little north of 200,000 gold. If you’re coming into it without any real bank of your own, in other words, you’d have to spend $40 for a full ride through Sanctum of Domination.
Yet, Blizzards’ Denial of Service’s listing states very clearly that “we do not sell for real money,” and that if it catches players breaking Blizzard’s terms of service, it will cancel the run and provide a full refund. But selling tokens for gold is not a violation: In fact, Blizzard’s support page says very specifically that players “can purchase a WoW Token from the Shop for real money and sell it on the Auction House for gold.”

This is apparently contradicts Blizzards’ terms cause if you take out the tokens you are just using money to buy gold.

4 Likes

It has nothing to do with envy. It has nothing to do with what others have or can do.

It’s a very simple principle. I view boosting as cheating.

7 Likes

Because they are poor and just jealous.

You you ain’t cheating then you ain’t trying!!!

Apparently Blizzard use to feel the same way. That’s why they would ban players that bought gold from farmers. Then Blizzard sold out that belief. They sold out the spirit of the game for making making!

4 Likes

1 Person is very good at PVE/PVP ,he is commited he take all the annoyingness and frustration that comes with (if failed)
2 Person like to play the game very casually ,doesnt matter if he is good or not he just fed up of progressing so he does gold farming and get what he wants .

So moral of the story is that everyone isnt same some like 1 factor some like 2 :slight_smile:

Anyone can achieve any level whether boosted or not so opposition against boosters is just from people who resent that they aren’t able to buy them.

A well known Tyrant in history once said “If I can’t have it then no one can!”. Sound familiar?

1 Like

Wait till we get last raid. If the Jailor mount is nice…many will carry that. and the rants. Popcorn I will bring…their tears will provide the salt.

Not even going to lie…I will. No tokens. I make game money. For this reason. Build up to raid items worth it. barring 1 million carry I will be there.

I am thinking 200K. Carries think 500K we haggle to 350…that be nice.

I think it’s pretty humorous how people pay for the game, pay for the subscription, then pay someone else to play the game for them as well with a boost.

7 Likes