Why do people hate group loot?

Maybe its because I exclusively do pugs and never do LFR, but I have gotten more loot from the current system instead of personal loot. I did not raid that much prior to this expac, but I do remember doing an entire Nzoth raid run and getting I think a single pair of legs from like the third boss and that was it, and I also remember doing an entire Castle run in shadowlands and getting only like 2 pieces of gear.

I raid usually with half of my guild and half randoms because we are group of about 10 people and arent really good enough to do a 2-2-6. So we raid a 20 man every week and I have absolutely no issues getting loot and I keep seeing people post about how they havent gotten any loot in weeks, and that personal loot NEEDS to come back, when Im having a lot more fun discussing with people in the raid where the loot should go and only letting people who can equip the gear roll on it.

1 Like

Most of the hate comes from the fact people who already have greater gear can Need just as much as someone desperate for an upgrade.

By it’s very nature you can, but that doesn’t mean it’s at least a bit rude.

3 Likes

…yeah, and?

I’ve cleared LFR, Normal and am 5/8 heroic and the only piece of tier I’ve won with the current system is LFR gloves. It’s absolute horse$#!t.

2 Likes

I have gotten less gear with Group Loot so far.

4 Likes

Exhibit A, ladies and gentlemen.

When you have a group of people willing to roll for you and pass the loot in your direction im sure raid loot is indeed e z p z

Words cannot convey my disdain

When personal loot was 1st added people hate it too until they got comfortable with it. Now things are back to the old way people act like it’s new and once again are losing their minds(well what’s left of it).

They pug or run with bad guilds.

One because emotionally watching somebody that already has the item you want equipped roll need on it and then disenchant it feels much worse than just losing it to an algorithm.

also this system has no bad luck protection like the old system did.

but don’t expect to fix anytime soon they want you to use your real life money to buy gold so that you can fill in those gear gaps at the auction house.

2 Likes

Because it’s more visible when you lose the roll to other people and it’s more personal, and you can judge them for rolling against you.

Whereas personal loot is losing to a lifeless slot machine. Other people are not directly your competitors.

In my group we haven’t seen a DH/DK/Lock tier in the last 2 weeks

Varies by experience and what the context is.

Right now if you are in a guild that does prog, plus an catch-up normal run you’ll be geared to the teeth because assuming the core group helps 2-4 alts that’s a ton of gear in the pool being split between a few characters.

If you’re just doing progression then gearing is ok maybe 0-1 on average plus vault item. You’d likely be doing a fair bit of Rated PvP/M+ to fill in the rest of the slots.

First example group loot excels.
Second example it doesn’t.

and even if the pros did LFR raid for mobs even if they won a look in PL they might not loot the boss and the item gets mail to them. I do this all the time to avoid people asking me for loot. Since no one can see who got loot if people do the same trick I did then there is no one to complain or nag about since you aren’t sure who won loot.

Not with GL everyone can see who roll need and won so you have people complaining OMG this guy is wearing a higher ilvl gloves but roll need on it! WTF OMFG QQ!. Or you have people constantly asking you to give them the loot you won.

24 random strangers each week vs 5 random strangers a day.

Do the math and then rethink your question.

Can anyone provide a source that indicates that PL had bad luck protection? People keep bringing this up but there’s never a source and the examples most people use either can exist under pure RNG or are mathematically impossible.

The only forms of BLP I’m aware of were bonus rolls and the legion legendary acquisition. Both systems were truly individualistic. Getting an item via these BLP mechanics didn’t impact the chances of anyone else to get loot. Neither system influenced the systems that distribute loot tied to the death of a boss (raid and any dungeon difficulty below M+) or in the chest at the completion of an M+ run.

Did you never loot anything worthwhile in Sepulcher under PL? Oh you got tier for Lords? Here come 10 whispers “ummmmm can I get that?”

Well, getting three bow drops with only two Hunters in the group multiple times now is awful feeling. There’s also the issue of getting three of the same tank trinket, and of course the three warglaives for our single Demon Hunter. Not to mention it makes loot distribution take longer since my group is running with a makeshift Master Loot situation of having everything go to one person to distribute, though that’s more personal issues.

Group loot is easily the worst version of the loot system we’ve had in the past three expansions, and I sincerely hope they at least give us a choice to not use it because I’m getting sick and tired of not getting gear because we’re getting repeats of items and too many of one item for number of people in the group, or because nothing drops that I can use.

Edit to add: it removes any and all incentive to run LFR for transmog, especially with the roll restrictions, that it takes away a difficulty of the raid I sometimes enjoyed doing.

Right. The same amount of loot drops, and it’s determined by how many people are in the raid. So it’s not possible that everyone is getting less loot. Every season either with PL or with NGP loot - there were some people who got a lot, and some people who didn’t get a lot based on luck.

But the lizardy parts of our brains responsible for rewards and pattern recognition make us feel like that if something changed AND I’m getting less rewards – then the change made me get less (instead of just luck).

2 Likes

This

Feels like it works the same you just have to hit a roll button now.

However, I do feel all auto group related content should be personal loot. I just think it’s less drama.

1 Like

I have killed 45 bosses in raid since its release now and have not won a single roll on an item from raid. This is why I hate group loot.

You’re wearing more raid gear than you could have gotten from M+, but keep on with the lying to prove your point.

2 Likes