Why do people fear level squish? [Discussion]

I mean… what is even the difference?

Instead of having 130 empty levels that give nearly nothing, we could have 60 levels that would take as long as 130 levels (assuming there would be 10 increase from now). And they would be probably more rewarding than now?

I would rather get 1 SLOW level and get some nice reward than do 20 levels and not getting anything.

Personally, I like the idea, and I hope there will be “rewards” after each level after 10, like old tallent points…

On the other hand, I hope it is not just a way to take current couple of talents and squish them into fewel levels to feel it more rewarding.

What is your opinion?
Why YES and why NOT.

27 Likes

It’s a pointless waste of time that doesn’t solve any problems on it’s own. The speed at which you gain new abilities and talents would remain the same.

And anything they do in addition to the squish could be done more easily without having to deal with problems caused by the squish.

50 Likes

Lack of faith in Blizzard to not screw it up.

68 Likes

Lack of faith. I think wow would be great at 60 levels again. It would be cool with the new level stuff, as certain races can keep consistency with the lore too. (IE Draenei start in BC but then go to Cata, back to BC, to WOTLK, back to Cata) etc.

DK’s/DH’s could interact more with lower level people too.

it wouldn’t really be a problem if blizzard didn’t mass produce expansions, and instead spent 2-3 years really fleshing out expansions. we could still be in MOP right now if they did things properly.

5 Likes

It’ll jack up old raids making some that were previously soloable no longer soloable and the end result is that you did not actually change the game except for weak minded people that don’t understand that you’re still playing the same amount of time for that talent point or new skill.

32 Likes

I heard people do party sync with DH and then do low level 15-19 BG. :smiley:

So I think your low level friend can still level with your higher DK or DH, but Iam not sure about the skill limitation.

this could be cool as you could reintroduce the 5 level brackets in pvp, which could allow for gear to matter again, and twinks to be pushed back into the brackets

2 Likes

Oh is that what’s been going on? It’s allowing max level characters to go into low level bgs?

I don’t agree with that at all. I thought this system was meant for dungeons and questing.

1 Like

Truth is people against the level squish simply lack any sense of basic game design

Right now you level to 70 and then have pretty much 50 levels off no new abilities and maybe a few talents… HELL getting max level to 120 literally gives you nothing… not a new talent or ability.

Squishing this down to 50-55 *9.0 we level to 60

Sure the leveling speed will remain the same but you will get an ability every level and get a talent more frequently through the bench marks.

Not only this but this could change to fit the allied race system as well…if allied races start at 20, new DK starting could be 20 as well.

I think for one this level squish should come with an old world reboot.

after level 10 you can level through the new old world to 60. The separate Xpac zones would just be places you access via portal room and be explained as “time walking” These zones will scale from 10-50 so you could completely finish lets say 2 expansion zones to hit the level cap pre 9.0 new world content.

6 Likes

And you think blizzard will be able to adequetely reward you for your levels? Nope, we went from 110 to 120 and got literally nothing except stat boosts. The reason classic leveling being slow is fine is because when you level up or get gear you FEEL the difference, but in retail wow every button is just… boring. I do support it though because it will make it seem less daunting to new players.

5 Likes

Nothing good would come of it. The time would remain the same if they cut in in half thus making it pointless. There’s only room for things to go wrong.

19 Likes

I don’t see what all the uproar is about it. Who cares. I think some people just want to fight everything.

2 Likes

Leveling 1-60 on retail feels a lot more rewarding than leveling 70 to 120… because as your leveling up 1-60 you are literally constantly getting key abilities.

Your counter argument is nothing but plain ignorance. stop trying to push it because anyone with literally a fragment of a brain could see the difference night and day.

Getting 10 in WOW currently takes like 20 minutes… it is a rush of levels.

getting 10 in another MMO ESO will be our example takes roughly 4 hours.

ESO leveling feels incredibly more rewarding than WoW’s levels since there isn’t a span OF HOURS *50 LEVELS WHERE YOU GET NOTHING!

3 Likes

A level squish to bring back “meaningful levels” is like trying to carry water in a sieve.

Level scaling will continue to make levels feel meaningless because that wolf that gave you trouble at level 40 will still give you trouble at level 50, there’s an entire system underneath it that just decreasing your number below your character portrait from 120 to 60 wouldn’t fix it, it would need an entire rework and I’m not sure if the developers feel like doing Legion 2.0 any time soon.

17 Likes

Frankly? Because it isn’t a solution, it is just punting the problem down the road. You can’t take boring classes and just squish them into half as many levels and think that will somehow make it better, because you leveled to max faster. Especially when things bloat up right away (see: stat squish, item squish).

They need a complete class redesign, preferably scrapping much of what they have and going to a system more akin to Wrath’s class design. Talent trees with dual spec, letting you pick what you wanted to be, instead of shoehorning people into what Blizzard wants them to be. Glyphs for added customization and some cool effects. And so on. Hell, stop adding things to the bars automatically! Make everyone go back to the trainers again!

1 Like

I’d like everyone to note that all the human players in this thread have terrible ideas.

Glad y’all are sticking to the stereotype with your missionary characters.

Yes even this dead human above me.

They lack the skill to make a level squish work on top of the failed scaling system that still has issues.

If they removed scaling perhaps they could pull a bfa and release the beta live and we’d still be seeing things like a blanket percentage increase to arcane mages.

It really comes down to the time it takes to do the math, they no longer employ folks with the kind of skills it would take to do it properly.

8 Likes

You’re just posting that so you can preemptively disregard anyone who disagrees with you. After all, I could just as easily say the same thing about people who are for the level squish.

If the /played time between gaining new abilities and talents remains the same, then nothing has really changed.

What they actually need to do is focus on unpruning classes and making leveling more engaging.

22 Likes

What do you not understand about the fact that leveling 50 levels and getting absolutely nothing is horrible game design.

Previous expansions showed us that adding a new spell at the cap was good, it felt good.

Cata and MoP showed us that having a talent at max level felt good.

BFA has no talent or ability at max level… it is bad… 50 levels of nothing IS BAD!!!

2 Likes

Deep down you know I’m right.

Enjoy wasting time killing overtuned wolves at level 60 in Vanilla areas bro

2 Likes