Why do new players need to be handheld so much?

GD is fully convinced new players are hapless ninnies who can’t find their way out of a paper bag.

That’s not the case. Don’t listen to GD.

1 Like

Why do you have such terrible behavior? You don’t have to make it your personality. You didnt explain anything, just complained about your education system.

Other countries are having the same problems, bit insane youd think they dont.

Like you haven’t even stopped to consider a good amount of the people you complain about are probably from another country.

It is rage bait plain and simple. People have realized that you get more views or can blow up if you put out that kind of clueless content. The people on those channels are not stupid just trying to pay their bills.

Now if we are going boomer yelling at clouds the downfall happen when continues and save game became a thing. Before those you had to finish the game with your abilities and before the game overheated and froze. Now if you were lucky you could pull the cartridge out, blow on it to cool it down, then put it back and hope it unfroze. Sometimes just having a fan on the console would slow down the overheating.

2 Likes

So you say this, but the honest truth is that no, most players never figured it out. How many times have you heard stories of people saying “I didn’t know I had to buy my spells until level 20” or “I didn’t know about talents until my first BRD run.”

The fact of the matter is, that in aggregate, most people never learned how to play WoW at all, and were completely lost.

Heck, look at Classic WoW. Your average Classic player is barely processing anything they see on their screen. A guy on reddit literally said that all his deaths in Hardcore have happened because he overpulls, panics, doesn’t press anything or try to run and just dies.

I think it’s easy for us veteran players to forget the sheer quantity of information an MMO throws at a new player and how much a learning curve we each fumbled through before everything started clicking.

I know for myself; I use very minimal number of Add-ons.

• Deadly Boss Mobs, for the few dungeons and raids I do.
  • Bartender4, because my UI requires me to.
  • HandyNotes, not sure why, guess like the information it displays.
  • IceHUD, presents the information I need to me better.
  • RareScanner, got to know when one is up for some reason.
  • SpartanUI, best UI I like and glad it still around even after I came back to the game.

Other than those don’t really use anything else. I know when I last played in order to raid, you had to have a lot of add-ons to play or not be allowed on raids. When I first found out about add-ons, I said to myself, an entire generation of gamer / raiders will never have the situational awareness without assistance. And I still feel some encounters have had to be adjusted because of developers expecting players to have add-ons to do content.

1 Like

You’re saying WoW became the most popular MMO ever and is about to celebrate 20 years when “most” of its players have never been able to figure out anything in the game?

Do you feel this way about the thousands of other video games that exist?

None of those are difficulties, they’re inconveniences.

There’s a difference.

1 Like

It’s a societal issue.

Hunters coming out the woodworks going “Running out of arrows mid fight is fun”

That’s your problem right there. Those are not new players, they aren’t someone interested in playing the game. They are people playing up being stupid, or cute or funny to get views and audience engagement. Never take that kind of clickbait YT swill as anything close to reality.

1 Like

Video games started booming when most millennials were in grade school and had way more time than money. Video games were a child’s hobby, very few adults involved, relatively speaking.

Now, all those millennials are grown up, still playing video games, but with more money than time, and games reflect that now. Video games are very much a hobby dominated by working adults. The big empty spaces in the middle of game design have been reduced to reflect the lack of time most gamers have, and services like battle passes and character boosts have been added to reflect the shift.

During the era of mankirks wife, everybody was on the same level.

Today, there are so many nuances thats hard to keep track of. Something as simple as farming old raids can be complicated because they changed how difficulty and sizing works (as remix players rediscovered recently).

Players who know the nuances of things have little patience for those that don’t. Such things may have been forgiveable in the past, not so much now.
I’m a guide, so I work with newbies to teach them the ropes. The amount of times I’ve seen old timers crap on newbies in normals and heroics is astounding. I’ve seen comments like “go learn somewhere else” so often it made me lose faith in players. I was a middle schooler back in bc era and I don’t recall such level of vitriol towards new players, chiefly because everyone was new at the time.

This game is rough to get into if it is your first mmo.

exactly. why should a random new player spend their first 100 hours feeling like an idiot in game A, when they could jump right into game B and feel like they’re getting somewhere after an hour? it’s a marketing decision, not a case of “everyone younger than X is dumb and has a short attention span”.

Which is why I said

It wasn’t more complicated either.

Still just inconvenient.

Try fighting a raid boss in MC and then try fighting one in any raid for the last six years and tell me it’s less complicated now lol

What WoW is competing against:

Wait, I thought this was Fortnite.

Where are all the cute axolotls? uwu

WoW was originally created and designed by MMO players for MMO players. Now, they try to use this “well rounded” ideology that sucks in comparison.

This thread is about basic game knowledge, correct? Why throw raid encounters in, everyone knows modern fights are more difficult.

My point, aren’t most inconveniences due to complications?

Take the simple cooking fire. Yes it was an inconvenience to carry around flint and steel with simple wood, complicating the simple task of making a fire.

1 Like

No. Having to carry more items to do the same thing isn’t necessarily harder. It’s just a pointless resource you have to manage, ie arrows or soul shards, or flint and steel… It didn’t make the game better, it simply became something to top up.