Why do classic players say, “retail failed.”

Nope Retail is as dead as it gets right now. SL killed the franchise. It’s a very bad game that I wouldn’t even call World of Warcraft. It’s a bad product and the only thing is sure it that the current Dev team won’t save it. Maybe Microsoft can add new Devs and save WoW? We shall see.

It was not and wasn’t received well at all by the public. I remember seeing the MoP trailer and cringing. MoP was the ONLY expansion I didn’t buy at launch and the first time I quit WoW. I eventually tried MoP to see how bad it was.

They made many disastrous choices in MoP.

Wrong. Retail has the lowest viewer rate of any content. No one wants to watch Retail. It’s not interesting nor fun. Twitch streamers want to stream content that is entertaining so they can (grow their audience and money) so they stream Classic or another game.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but content creators have complained about how there is no reason to stream or play Retail. Metrics are down horribly.

1 Like

This dude thinks “content” creators and their complaints are indicative of a small retail playerbase.

rofl

1 Like

It really comes off as people trying to justify their dislike of the game. It’s not enough that they can just…not play it. No, they have to shout to the heavens about how retail ended their marriage, stole their dog, and murdered their parents

3 Likes

Who says, “Retail failed?”

Do you have any references you can link to? I know a lot of people refer to Retail negatively, but I’m not familiar with people claiming that it has failed. Maybe I don’t spend as much time on the forums as I think I do :woman_shrugging:

They have the exact same number of subs. Just sayin.

7 Likes

Retail and classic share the same subscription

2 Likes

I never said it failed.
I said it was over bloated with garbage things like mission tables and 25 different currencies and M+ and streamers and snowflakes, etc. The entire thing is a dumpster fire, but is it a fail? Seems some folks like it so that is a success.

if you like it then great if you don’t then great.

You get it.

11 results for “retail failed”. 7 of which are this poster.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/search?q=%22retail%20failed%22%20%23wow-classic%3Awrath-of-the-lich-king-classic-discussion

It’s really nice to have the Google Chrome Extension that shows whos characters are from the same battle.net account.

4 Likes

Didn’t know that was a thing. xd

1 Like

Could you explain to me why there are more ToGC parses then Aberrus?

Basic elitism that was born from “I played since vanilla”. I didn’t check latest xpac by everything after legion was boring grind as hell for me. I tried BFA and next xpac. Classic was my comeback to the game.

can you actually prove it doesn’t?

literally not true considering every expansion after is still called “World of Warcraft: expansion name

1 Like
3 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense without the context of saying retail is thriving and classic is dead. Also they are talking about naxx vs FFXIV not ToGC vs Retail wow.

He’s saying that during Naxxramas, Retail had more players. Retail gets more addon downloads. Retail has more things to do outside of raids, more ways to progress your character.

There’s no evidence to suggest WoTLK has more active players.

1 Like

Oh, I was looking at the wrong tweet. You’re right.

1 Like

I actually tried to give it a shot, but…Retail just isn’t for me. And it’s not even necessarily the ‘content’ of Dragonflight, since I didn’t even get to it.

Retail is just OBNOXIOUS. It doesn’t leave you alone. It’s constantly shoving things in your face. You get auto-accepted quests all over the place. It’s just a mess. There’s so much crap on the mini-map…I don’t even know what I’m looking at. I hate the graphics and the animations (running ones mainly), so the look of the game is a huge turnoff. Then there’s the whole scaling thing. Everything scales to you. There’s no sense of progression. I was questing in a Shadowlands zone and saw a level 15 next to me killing mobs faster than I was. It was like…‘what the Hell?’ Stuff like that is so bizarre in a supposed rpg.

But it’s really just the fact there’s an unending feeling that the devs are hovering over you, dictating everything you do and experience. You must play the game one, certain way. They grab you by the wrist the second you log in and just pull you where they want you to go. It’s just…obnoxious. That’s really the best word. I can’t imagine how a new player would react. It’s SOOO anti-new player.

Contrast to Classic. You make a character, they drop you in this world and say ‘have fun’. Simple, straightforward, and effective. Players aren’t idiots; they don’t need their hand held every second.

5 Likes

I’m going to quote what I linked:

The comparative load from retail, despite retail having more individual players, is much smaller due to people actually wiping and taking time to kill things. :slight_smile:

This is the WCL creator telling us that Retail has more players. He explained that WoTLK Naxxramas was creating more load but Retail has more individual players. Why do you think ToGC is different?

Why does DBM have more downloads for Retail than WoTLK every single time they update on the same day?

I was making this post didn’t catch this.

:+1:

4 Likes

All good, edited when I realized. If I had to guess it’s probably like 60/40ish with a lot of overlap. I still think OP’s post is mostly hyperbole though it’s a response to hyperbole so.

2 Likes

Well, no. Classic Era had about 92 realms worldwide whereas Retail has 241 realms in North America alone, with many more across the world. Though each realm is not as populated as one would be in Classic, it still has far more players all together.

Also, to consider both MoP and Legion below decent is a sin.