Why didn't Warcraft win an Oscar?

I thought the special effects where great.

I don’t think there’s a category for game cinematic. It would be nice if ‘they’ could take their cinematic team, find themselves a good story, and make a movie out of it, maybe along the same lines as the movie, Forward Unto Dawn.

2 Likes

Didn’t you see Will Smith smack Anduin for making fun of his wife? Prizes revoked for being big rude.

1 Like

:clap: :dizzy_face: Keep my game’s name out ya mouth!

6 Likes

I’ve never seen a better Orc on screen.

The real question is why didn’t they win a Raspberry award yet.

1 Like

Because the movie was bad?

4 Likes

There was an actual Warcraft movie that came out a few years ago.

It just wasn’t very good.

Even critical flops can earn Oscars. But it is rare.

One example is the Mario Brothers movie, it won (or was nominated for?) an award for its costume design. Yeah, I’m not lyin’.

1 Like

Ha! I didn’t know that. Fun fact :slight_smile:

OP, sorry, but none of the Shadowland cinamatics are award worthy.

The Murloc at the bridge should of won an Oscar…

The year Warcraft would’ve been nominated (2017, because it released after the 2016 Oscars) The Jungle Book won for special effects. Its competition was steep: Rogue One and Dr Strange (I forget the others). Personally, I don’t think the Warcraft movie’s special effects were all that great to begin with.

1 Like

Winning an Oscar isn’t really about the qualities of the movie or actor. It comes down to school yard politics, how many screener copies you send out, and how much your promises are believable. Better promises gains more votes. This is a series of rewards voted on by the very people who will win them.

2 Likes

Lakers winning a Mickey Mouse ring and Will Smith winning an Oscar proves that covid awards don’t count. I said what I said.

warcraft movie felt like a bad explained youtube resume of a saga, jumping between scenes and timelines without a smooth transition, they just rushed the story like GoT’s last season.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I forgot the oscars were a thing.

What amuses me about the Warcraft movie is there’s zero sense of distance in that film. Characters are just hopping on griffons and teleporting, arriving at their destination the very next shot. Large armies pop out of nowhere.

The abridged story they told completely forgot to make the landscape a character. The Wheel of Time has this issue too (and Game of Thrones after season 6).

1 Like

Apart from the body cgi for the orcs, the special effects were not all that great. There were a number of weird camera effects and camera view swivels that were janky and blurred, and the majority of the film being made on a set with fake plants gave it a very cheap look. Its fine to do that for smaller interior sets but why they did it outside I will never know. LotR or Game of Thrones used exterior locations and real buildings to give it that sense of depth but Warcraft came across as tacky in many ways.

Once I found out most of them don’t even watch the movies they vote for I stopped thinking of it as an objective event.