Why can't you block people on these forums, Blizzard?

One of many questions I have about this game and it’s forums.

Why don’t we have surnames yet?
Why can’t I block the trolls that make dozens of divisive threads an hour?
Why isn’t there a proper anonymous mode on these forums?

Seriously I can’t think of another forum I have been on in recent history where you couldn’t block annoying people. Can’t leave it up to the moderators, they are either overactive or inactive.

4 Likes

Are you talking about the ignore feature? They recently added a feature allowing users to ignore others indefinitely (previously, a character could only ignore another character for up to 6 months). You click the icon of the character you would like to ignore -> “View Activity” -> “Normal” -> ignore for various lengths of time.

Doing this doesn’t automatically mute new threads created by those you have ignored, unfotunately. I hope this helps!

1 Like

There literally is an ignore feature on these forums and has been for a while now.

3 Likes

You can block people
Character (yours) > down arrow>preferences>users
Put characters name in box you wish to mute

2 Likes

Ok. I can see some benefit.

What? I am not following.

This feature only suppresses notifications.

1 Like

You can block people.

Go to your profile, go to preferences, then go to users. I have a handful of people on there, but I still see them so it doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like

The cost to do that would be absurd.

:cookie:

Elaborate?

Yeah that only seems to suppress notifications about when people post. I can still see their posts. And while this thread was inspired by a certain tauren warrior troll, there is another certain undead rogue who makes 40 threads a day I wouldn’t mind completely blocking/ignoring (and not just turning off notifications when they post) I don’t wanna see anything they say because it’s basically spam at this point.

Well like Wild said, putting them on ignore hides all of their comments but not any new threads they make for some reason. It’s better than nothing, which is what we used to have.

1 Like

Yeah a block feature is needed , so many troll trying to stir up crap

Well depending on how they did it, it’s possible it might not but I doubt it. Past of it depends on how your “character sheet” is set up in the database. All of your quest history, achievements, gear, etc. is all on your character sheet. After so many years, it’s quite a bit of information.

Every time you see quest dialog with your name - the game is referencing a data base of which your name is one field. Adding a field and having quest dialog reference both fields would be involved.

A friend does backbone project management and oversaw the integration adding the +four to the zip code systems and making it a unified information source. Because the zip codes touch so many other systems, the project took over a year and cost a few million dollars.

Does that help?

2 Likes

Ok, to actually help the op, there’s two ways to put someone on ignore:

1. Through their post history.
    a. Left click on their name above a post.
    b. Click on “View Activity”.
    c. Click on “Normal”.
    d. Select “Muted” or “Ignored”.
  2. Through your profile.
    a. Left-click on your portrait in the forums.
    b. Click on your name.
    c. Click on “Preferences”.
    d. Click on “Users”.
    e. Click on “Add…” if needed.
    f. Start typing the offender’s name into the box. It should pull up a list of suggestions with their realm and forum icon to help you select the correct person.

Unfortunately, if someone has their profile hidden, then you have to use the second method. Either way, you’re given the option to choose how long to mute/ignore the person for. Unfortunately, neither option will automatically hide any threads that person creates, but it will automatically hide their posts in a thread.

Mute: Suppress all notifications and PMs from these users.
Ignore: Suppress all posts, notifications, and PMs from these users.

1 Like

Uh… is it just me or did a bunch of comments just get purged?

1 Like

It’s not you.

1 Like

It’s naptime now.

Yes, at least three comments got nuked out of existence – One of the OP’s posts, and two of the troll’s that’s going after her.

EDIT: Actually, all of the troll’s posts (and any posts quoting his) got removed. That was fast.

I mean quests could just call you by your first name and then you could have a tag above your head with your full surname?

There are RP mods that do this already

If you’re going to delete probably half the comments in the thread why not just 404 the whole thing? This place makes no sense.