Why can't I bind alt+shift+q?

I need help. I use shift+q for my Gpy bind and I am trying to bind alt+shift+q to focus Gpy.

No matter what I try it does not work. I’ve tried the following macro on a bind for shift+q:

#showtooltip Greater Pyroblast
/cast [mod:alt, @focus] Greater Pyroblast;
/cast [nomod] Greater Pyroblast;

which works if I set mod to ctrl and press ctrl+shift+q, but not with alt.

I’ve tried binding alt+shift+q to a button on my bars directly, both via blizzard ui and using button forge… yet I can’t bind it. At all. I press the buttons but nothing happens. I am however able to bind ANY other key with these two modifiers – alt+shift+w, e, etc – it works for all my other binds but q.

Even more confusing… when I force a binding by editing bindings in the WTF folder, I can see a-S-Q show up, but pressing the button combination does nothing in game.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

So, I was able to use alt-shift-q as a binding when I tested, so it’s not a WoW limitation. The first thing to check is for keybinding conflicts. As you’ve already tried to directly bind it, if it’s a conflict, it’s probably not something obvious. (Something along the lines of your operating system hijacking the keybind.)

The fact that it won’t let you direct bind it makes me wonder if it’s a keyboard ghosting problem. (Although usually keyboards would be set up to allow for multiple modifier key presses, so your specific case feels a bit odd.) Basically, the problem occurs because most keyboards don’t have individual sensors for keys, and decide if a key is pressed based on a sensor combo. So, with more simultaneous key presses, the odds of a combo that the sensors can’t properly distinguish increases.

You can use a tool like this one to see if that’s your problem. If you hold down all they keys in question and they aren’t showing up, that’s the problem.

https://drakeirving.github.io/MultiKeyDisplay/

Unfortunately, if that is the case, the only solution is a different keyboard or to not use bindings that “ghost.”

2 Likes

@veldrenas It was Razer Synapse for me. After exiting it I was able to use alt-shift-q again.

Optimized macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt,@focus] [] Greater Pyroblast