Why can't Blizzard increase the layers now? The queues might not come later

I can see that being a thing, but again it is just a bandaid fix.

People need to see how bad it will potentially be when layering is removed.

TBQH on day one if you get a queue odds are you arent playing, unless you are like sub 500ish in the queue. Not enough people will log off. Remember this is 2019, people will be using autoclickers and autokeyboards to keep their characters from being kicked for inactivity when they take a break.

Only the first few lines and I regret reading that much. Layering is going to be awesome at launch. Can’t wait.

You’re missing the fact that there IS a physical capacity limit on each server. Blizzard is only adding the queues once that limit has been met.

Not to mention, the more layers you add the more stress is put on the server.

Then things like lag, crashes, etc start becoming a thing.

I know they said they have the ability to raise layering, but would it really be enough to ensure EVERYONE got in?

Screw the guild. I would move with 3 or 4 friends and start over. Remember all the anxiety in here a couple months ago about the devilsaur mafias that were supposedly going to dominate the Classic servers? Nonsense from private server teams that intended to stake out a home and control the economy? Some people were crying for Blizzard to do something about it. Well . . . maybe Blizzard is doing something about it right now.

I literally linked to a post by Blizzard stating that they can increase the limit.

By raising the number of layers, they’re raising the number of people they can let online at a time. But when they start removing layers, they have to lower that limit so that the world doesn’t still get insanely overrun. Don’t forget, level 60 was designed around only about a 3,000 person population between both faction.

So the more layers they add, the more people can be on without a queue. That means that there’s going to be more permanent players on the realm. That means that once layering is gone, there’s a bigger pool of players, and then you’re stuck with queues just being a regular thing because you can’t have too many people running around at the same time. Level 60 is another bottle-neck.

It would certainly be more than will be getting in now.

It is, as you said, a band-aid fix to ensure a smooth launch. But the wound could heal under the band-aid, with no further action needed in the end.

What makes you think it’s okay for Blizz to offer free services in the form of server transfers. Especially when people have the choice to create a character now. Lastly what happens when u want to transfer and your toons name is gone when ur lvl 60 vs lvl 1 now.

Also, just play on the servers they’re recommending people go to. Seriously, what is this obsession with having to play with that exact group of people that you don’t know?

Change stuff so I can get in and feel happy now so later I have to cry about queues once layering is removed.

Awesome plan bro!

I’m sorry, but doing everything they can to spread out the population on release is infinitely better than offering transfers down the road. Server transfers are inherently destructive to the community, not to mention the communities on lower pop servers that have been left suffering through phase one.

Your solution… is not a solution.

As I stated in my OP, people are afraid of player drop-off leaving servers underpopulated. In light of this, it makes sense to roll on the highest pop realm available as it will likely still be the highest pop after drop-off has occurred. Even if it means sitting in queues now.

The point of my post is A) we don’t have to have massive queues right now if Blizzard increases the player caps, B) it’s better to have queues at the end of P1 than at launch, and C) we might not have queues at the end of P1 at all if there is significant drop-off.

ITs more like, put a bandaid over the wound and dont check on it so it festers, then in 3 months when you take the bandaid off you have an infected, pus filled lesion that now takes even more work to heal.

People NEED to know how bad it will be. If you are never getting a queue, and then in 3 months when layers are removed you get a 10k queue you will 100% be like WHY DIDNT YOU TELL US BLIZZ.

As opposed to, 10k queue now, so you can plan accordingly, whether its moving servers, or just sucking it up.

1 Like

And Blizzard has repeatedly pointed out that Low on todays realms is still higher than full during vanilla. It’s going to be extremely unlikely that any server falls below the original 3,000 person poulation for the foreseeable future of classic. No matter what, you’re always going to have enough people.

If they increase server caps, they will have a more difficult problem to deal with in a few months once overloaded server players are really invested in the community, but layering can’t be removed because the sever is still many times too large.

Or, people can gravitate towards where all the people are. No one wants a dead realm.

1 Like

/Agree

Leave it the way it is now. People have been warned about the possibility of massive queues on certain realms. They get to choose based on the information provided if they are going to stay or roll on another server.

Changing to another realm now or just after launch is a far better option than hoping Blizzard allows server transfers or creating another toon on another server later.

I’m not honestly not sure what Blizzard is actually gaining other than praise from the community by removing layering by phase 2. They seem to be banking on the game unable to retain players.

We may be playing with layering for months and months, which could also mean we will always be dealing with queues.

It’s a pick your poison scenario. Would you rather wait in line for hours with or without layering?

We got stuck with layering, and a lot of players came to grudgingly accept that, but I think it’s safe to ask that if your are going to force this on to us, fine, but don’t subject people to long queues (with layering) who were okay with queues when layering/sharding wasn’t a thing yet.

We know way more now than we did back when everyone was arguing for an authentic non-layering experience.

There is actually a very easy solution to their problem. It’ll take 2 seconds since they’re on the cloud. Problem is they don’t want to spend the $$$.