Why Are We Necroing Threads?

They really should just add both…

I honestly feel like we shouldn’t look at people necroing old threads as a bad thing… think about it… people complain to no end about people making “the umpteenth millionth thread on ____ topic”… so if someone necros a thread thats one less new thread on the same topic.

6 Likes

*Wonders if there are any ancient piggeh threads he can necro…

5 Likes

I think 30 days is unnecessarily short. Probably 6 months would be about right. Not forever.

4 Likes

It’s the strangest things. The EU WoW forums auto lock topics after 30 days except for the topics that got shoved over from the old forums. They have the tech, they know how to do it. It’s clearly a setting somewhere, and I’ve seen some threads set to close after 2 months.

There’s also (apparently) a setting used in usually bigger threads where if you have players on ignore it auto-hides their post and doesn’t even have the ‘show hidden message’ button they randomly apply.

I do wonder what other settings there is that they don’t regularly implement.

3 Likes

I mute them so they stop showing up.

2 Likes

It’s mostly one guy posting on three different characters who spams threads suggesting that Blizzard should add new races, add new mounts, partner with other companies, or add things from other IPs to WoW. He periodically bumps threads that haven’t been replied to in anywhere between two days and four weeks, always with some pointless one-sentence drivel as if he’s in a Discord conversation. He also has an unhealthy neurotic obsession with Smurfs being in WoW:

I’m genuinely convinced he has some kind of disorder.

4 Likes

Just to bother you? That’s good enough for me!

1 Like

For fun? Plus some necro threads bring up important points.

3 Likes

They have this on the US forums too, just not in GD. Tech Support forums have it, for example. They should really enable it across the whole forum, unsure why they never did that here.

4 Likes

Probably because the GD forum in the US has an alarmingly high number of users who complain endlessly when someone creates a new thread about any topic that already exists, no matter how old the last post in that topic is. But of course, many of the same users also complain endlessly if someone necros a topic that hasn’t been touched for as little as a week (I’ve even seen it happen with a mere 4 day gap once) too… you don’t see this behavior as much on the EU forums.

1 Like

No it’s Barbarian! :heart:

1 Like

I’m thinking time travel.

1 Like

Necrolyte.

1 Like

I disagree.

There’s nothing of value that can be offered to a two year old thread where half the players probably don’t play anymore.

More often than not, necroing is done as a form of trolling.

Threads closing automatically after a month of no posts is a very good idea. If a topic is really hot or popular, it will stay active on it’s own.

2 Likes

Not only this, but when I do try to create a thread using certain words, I get a list of threads with similar keyphrases, on the side. Almost as if instead of creating my own thread, to go to a thread saying something similar to what I’m saying.

It’s a very confusing system/rule. Can we “necro” threads or not? :thinking:

2 Likes

Well I’ll see you in six months, then
:wink:

1 Like

they do have recommended topics so someone might just respond you act like every one of them is done on purpose lol. so much paranoia around here. not like this place is worth a crap anyway just a bunch of the same people responding to each other mostly while blizz listens to nothing anyway. i really don’t see the problem with a necro’d thread especially if it’s actually about the game.

2 Likes

Maybe you’re just paranoid about people being paranoid.

1 Like

Define necro

One day? One week? One Month?

2 Likes

Anybody who necros old threads should be ganked for two hours even with warmode off and the timer stops when you log off so no cheesing :rage:

2 Likes