Why are they ending the beta with level cap at 40

anyone have any idea why blizzard is ending the beta before folks have hit 60? Perhaps I’m misinformed, and they have identified all bugs, but I would have imagined there could be issues with instances and raids at 60.

4 Likes

Posts like this?

1 Like

Realistically, L40 allows you to access all talents, once you get your 31 point talent, and they seem to have been more focused on testing class and mob mechanics, than actually worry about the world’s map etc.

3 Likes

Because it never really was a beta to begin with. It was to cross-reference numbers and make sure the game’s architecture wasn’t fatally flawed.

And, y’know, hype for 8.2. Which is now out. So Blizz has no need to create artificial hype with a new world first race starting next week.

1 Like

It literally says in the blue post that they’re going to test raids and high lvl zones internally

2 Likes

Lol. What do you think betas do?

1 Like

Test balance and encounter numbers. That’s why most of a PTR is taken up by Raid Testing.

None of which is needed here. Blizz has those numbers, they’ve had them for 15 years.

This was a hype beta, that’s all it was.

1 Like

Uh. They actually stressed the servers and layering live, not internally. Maybe you are talking about another game.

Ok but clearly beta identified a number of issues that internal testers didn’t discover previously. Maybe they weren’t expecting this. But the fact that it was primarily a streamer beta suggests you’re right about it not really being a beta.

What happens with classic should not have anything to do with what is happening with retail, I hope that classic isn’t under retail’s shadow.

Probably has something to do with nobody wants to do that 40 to 60 grind on a character that’s just going to be deleted on a server with not enough people to organize a raid in.

Lol yeah ok buddy, you’ve been paying attention to nothing.

When you log into the beta you have an interface that asks you about issues and bugs. When you talk to a quest giver to turn in a quest they ask you about how it operated.

They where INDEED expecting bugs to be reported.

There were far more “non” streamers than streamers. This argument has grown stale.

I am afraid to tell you that Classic IS under the shadow of live. And will remain that way unless it becomes the hit we all hope it to be. But we have to be willing to accept that even if we love it someone else might not.

2 Likes

That makes sense actually. Testing dungeons and raids in house is easy enough by simply creating characters for themselves at whatever level they want and doing them.

Testing stuff like general mob ai and 8,000 different talent combos and each skill/ability is much easier with a larger pool of people.

I expected it to go quite a bit longer, but I aint even mad. Beta is/was dead.

It was just to keep subs until 8.2 came out.

2 Likes

While all streamers getting in certainly points to this being part of it, there was a good amount of actual testing going on as well with class specs/tuning/tweaking, layering, leveling, mechanics, etc, etc, etc. They can test the rest internally, as they said.

I am so depressed. I kept hoping against hope I would get an invite. All hope is now lost. See you in august.

Most of which were bugs that didn’t need anyone to be a high level to discover.
The only real thing they need to test now is damage values that they can do just do in house by comparing their reference client to their internal beta.

Their announcement was careful to specify ending closed beta everywhere they mentioned the beta.
What that indicates, I don’t know.

I think you’ll get an invite to the Gamma Testing Wave. You do need an active game account though :rofl:

1 Like