Why are so many people disturbed by group content?

That’s pretty much a part of normal human interactions though

2 Likes

Proximity chat in MW Warzone is the best thing to happen to gaming. The amount of screaming and racist/derogatory trash talk in that brief 2 seconds makes my heart glee with joy.

2 Likes

Wrong decade.

14 Likes

People have all sorts of different reasons for playing online games. The issue is when people who play because they want to know they are better than others run into people who play to have fun or to hang out with their friends, rather than some workgroup that they have to slave over like an unpaid job.

7 Likes

The problem with group content for me is that I don’t like pugs. I never know if I can rely on random people to be good and do their jobs right. But it’s always a blast of fresh air when I find the odd player who is actually a good player mechanically and strategically, and not just some dps that’s top of the meters (looking at you demon hunters)

3 Likes

For me, it’s a lack of confidence, introversion, and not having the thickest of skins. Along with hearing all of the horror stories of group content on these forums. Because of that I have a hard time using the group finder for anything tougher than a group quest. I only raid, and run M+ keys, with my guild and other friends I know and trust not to rip me apart.

11 Likes

That’s… not it, at least not for most.

It’s often one or more types or aspects of social anxiety.

2 Likes

I just solo’d 5 mask Ogrimmar. I don’t want to think about 4 other goofballs with me.

4 Likes

Good lord, dude. If you listen to these forums, everyone has social anxiety.

6 Likes

Is it that surprising? These types of games tend to attract us more introverted folks.

8 Likes

How? It’s an mmo which in of itself denotes a game involving a social aspect.

3 Likes

A less harsh version of a social aspect.

1 Like

I mean I guess but that still doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me, especially when the meat of the content in this game requires said social aspect.

2 Likes

As silly as it sounds, it is easier to socialize in WoW than it is in real life.

9 Likes

That’s perfectly fine, just the entire thing about attracting those with social anxiety to this particular genre doesn’t make much sense to me considering this particular genre just so happens to probably be one of the most social types of game genres that exist.

2 Likes

The game itself also does offer a lot to the solo player. As someone who came from EQ back in the day it was definitely a breath of fresh air. I can keep to myself most of the time and reach out to people in small doses.

13 Likes

I’ll do my best. What mainly draws me to WoW is the real time economy and light interaction between other players (like random groups of all types), that’s there whether you primarily solo or not. The game is super non-linear too compared to 99% of single player games. Honestly even when I’m totally silent and not getting any help I appreciate the MMO atmosphere. It’s fun to meet others out in the world, I usually /wave and /dance with them.

I do LFRs because they’re usually quiet. Lots of explanation on N’Zoth, which you probably need, so I’m not afraid to ask questions on that, I’m normally mute, but when I downed N’Zoth I survived but was MC’d in a puddle when the boss was like at 15%. I freaked out and though I’d already lost control.

For future reference, I could’ve bailed over the side within 20 seconds and saved the raid a minor hassle as well as a repair bill. Had that not happened I’d have survived the fight, it appears to be getting easier, coordination was good on my completed run and we even did it just at 9 stacks, not 10 five times then everyone quits.

I just like being in a living world. It’s kind of like, despite my social anxiety, a world of literally no real people is kind of boring. It’s worth it just for the random joking in trade, sometimes. Can’t get that kind of stuff from scripted NPC dialogue.

5 Likes

Dealing with people can be tricky, that’s why I sometimes avoid it.

1 Like

From a quest perspective, I think it’s because the game forces you in there when it should be that the player chooses to be there instead.

You should want to do group activity not because the game wants you to do it, but because you want to do it.

4 Likes

Literally every term you just used falls under the blanket of a-holes.

3 Likes