Why are people so mad with Shadowlands story?

https://i.imgur.com/ir61jWx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xXUImkk.jpg

10 Likes

Also talking in terms of mortals makes no sense as Shadowlands beings are simply ageless. They are less immortal than demons outside the nether. Normal living things simply have their OG living flesh instead of whatever body a particular part of the Shadowlands makes for them, or sort of become (like how those souls hanging out in Bastion can one day become and gain the body of an aspirant).

2 Likes

The Covenants were great. Bastion was the weakest link for me but I do chalk that up to not having any characters that fit in. And to the best of my memory I don’t remember people being upset about the Covenants. Some were of course but that was a minority opinion.

Where it fell flat was the Maw, the Jailor and Torghast.

The place really does feel designed to be forgettable. Particularly with Torghast it actually took me awhile to realize things were randomly generated. It was all so samey and gray that switching it around meant nothing as my brain cells refused to absorb any specific details outside like a boss fight mechanic.

The Maw is probably the worst designed piece of WoW content I’ve seen in ages. I can appreciate taking our mounts away to force us to more carefully navigate an area, and I did like how you could GTA a mount from the Jailor’s minions.

But the trade off there is you’ve to give us an interesting world to navigate. And the Maw is aggressively boring. Dark gray, blue gray, charcoal gray, it’s like the designer challenged themselves to make a zone dogs could enjoy just as much as human players.

I get it’s supposed to be the last place in creation you’d ever want to be but it does it’s job too well.

Argus I feel was supposed to illicit similar feelings but that place was non stop chaos. Even the landing zones were embattled and it was nigh impossible to get anywhere without attracting a conga line of demons who were one daze dismount away from overwhelming you. It was exciting.

And the Maws anything but. Even the big lumbering baddies feel more like waiting for a freight train to pass then some threat. And the biggest insult is the Jailor glaring at you like he asked you to leave by 9pm and it’s 11:30pm. Buddy I don’t want to be here either, stop road blocking my progress and I’ll be out of your lack of hair sooner.

9 Likes

Not mad with the Shadowlands story so much as disappointed.

I looked forward to exploring the afterlife of WoW as implied by the various religions, philosophies, spirits, and other glimpses I’ve gotten from it.

But instead of exploring that, we got a kind of generic afterlife that doesn’t really have any connection with previous religions, philosophies, spirits, and other glimpses outside of general aesthetics.

But seriously, the cosmology and afterlives presented in the Shadowlands could be plopped down into any generic fantasy/D&D clone setting and work with minimal changes. I don’t want that. I can go to any fantasy/D&D clone and get that. I enjoy WoW most when it’s doing new things with genre tropes, not just playing ‘the classics’ straight.

15 Likes

To be fair Ardenweald and Maldraxxus do sort of broaden our cosmic perspective on the domains of life and undeath at least. I at least found it interesting how not only are they not diametrically opposed foes, but the Winter Queen refers to the Primus like he’s an old, trusted friend.

Seems like something that the Forsaken at least would be fascinated to learn but none are present outside your PC, and they’re mute most of the time so good luck spreading that news.

And that’s sort of the problem. If we had more characters reacting to this shocking revelation that their understanding of the afterlife is at least wildly incomplete then this could be interesting. But thus far we’ve seen none of that.

And Blizz gave us a outright cowardly answer that actually there’s a million billion SL afterlife apartment complexes so nobody’s religion is explicitly wrong. But these realms can’t be seen or accessed from the central hub to which all souls flow, and nobody ever makes reference to them.

And I’m all for loose canon so RPers can be inventive but thats a little silly. I could claim there’s actually a raspberry jam themed paradise only accessible to devoted berry farmers and no one could argue with me.

2 Likes

Objection.

I mean the real question here is. How is anyone fine with the SL story in any way?
How is not everyone mad and disillusioned with this mess of a “story”?

4 Likes

I’m an easy lay for gothic vampires, and Maldraxxus’s wholesome death metal vibe is just chefs kiss. So I was having fun at least.

1 Like

There is a shadowlands story?

OT: the only thing current WoW is good for in terms of story is taking the good stuff about its stories by cherry picking and developing AUs.

I am Thankful for Epsilon existing.

When it comes to Maldraxxus, I always thought the point of undeath was that your body and/or soul hadn’t passed on the afterlife. Undead are undead because they’re stuck back on the mortal plane. So the idea that there’s actually a whole afterlife full of zombies and ghosts and Frankensteins kind of mucks up the whole point of being undead.

Maldraxxus basicalyy exists to be a spooky scary land and it’s only ties to Azeroth are by retroactively making it the source of where all the Legion/Scourge/Forsaken aesthetic come from.

Similar with Ardenweald. It completely scraps the original idea of the Emerald Dream as a place of life/creation that exists opposite the realms of death. Instead, it makes the Emerald Dream partially eclipse it all in the name of having your standard dark/winter fae enchanted forest.

I think what we were given is competently done. None of it’s actually terrible. But it feels like it was created by someone who doesn’t know much about WoW’s existing history and then tied to it after the fact.

And yeah, the infinite afterlives that we never actually get to see and that never actually matter to the story is absolutely a cop out. Like they’re telling us they could have had something more imaginative and reflective of WoW’s brand, but decided not to.

I mean, what we got is competently enough done. That’s why I don’t hate them. I actually love Revendreth -despite it having absolutely NO previously established relationship with anything in Lore and the crazy idea that a timeless afterlife servicing all realities and possibly predating creation would resembling such a specific place/time as Victorian England- but I like the characters and their interactions and aesthetic and all that for what they are.

17 Likes

That’s the thing though. I find it interesting that necromancy is a divine power that wasn’t meant to be on the material plane.

The Maldraxxi also have imperfect connections between soul and body but to them that’s a feature, not a bug. Bodies get destroyed all the time in Maldraxxus, it’s actively encouraged. But it’s not a big deal because you just go and get a new one. The place is literally made of flesh and sinew.

This obviously doesn’t work as smoothly on the material plane. Because while there’s an abundance of body parts to play with their current owners tend to get awfully offended when you declare them an early access organ donor.

Additionally the Lich King deliberately gave his undead weird glitches just to be a dick. Hence the Forsaken craving humanoids and the DKs needing to cause suffering.

And Revendreth fits in curiously. We know Sire Denathrius worked with Kel’Thuzad so that explains gargoyles, dark hounds, the San’Layn and I’d say giant vampire bats but I think those just sort of exist.

1 Like

I don’t hate Shadowlands, I just want to go back home.

Whenever the expansion pack or patch takes place off-world, I never truly shake the desire to get back to Azeroth. I didn’t like TBC, I didn’t like WoD, I didn’t like Argus. I want to be on Azeroth, I want to see more of those lands. Shadowlands just feels like a lengthy detour and from the moment it was announced I was already beginning to fantasize about what comes next.

4 Likes

That’s probably more a practical thing than just being evil. Having those sorts of behavioral modifiers imposed upon his undead would make it so the rank-and-file Scourge keep doing their jobs once unleashed without needing the Lich King himself to hands-on pilot every corpse all the time.

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if that was specifically an Arthas thing, too. Ner’zhul’s portrayal as a semi-ethereal (albeit anchored to the Frozen Throne) entity with enormous psychic power always came across more like he was actively “inside” the heads of the Scourge all the time, seeing what they all saw, ever-present to assume direct control or strip the agency of any subordinates who might think to step out of line (such as when Arthas’ initial hesitance to leave Lordaeron in TFT was met by Ner’zhul inflicting pain on him through their mental link), and also possessing the ability to exert mental domination over mortal creatures in relatively close proximity.

Conversely, once Lich King Arthas was up and walking around, he never really came across as retaining that sense of his awareness perpetually being “broadcast” throughout the Scourge to the same degree. He just didn’t seem to have the same psychic reach as Ner’zhul did. As if much of that was particular to Ner’zhul’s specific nature as Kil’jaeden had remade him, perhaps compelling Arthas to implement more “automated” measures to keep the Scourge on task without needing an omnipresent puppet master in their heads manipulating every little thing at all times.

It’s also why Arthas scourge was also filled with plenty of Liches and other high level scourge who could command the army for him, without him, like you said, being in their head 24/7. It’s damn efficient and allows Arthas to carry out his more personal plans. :wolf:

And I don’t hate the Shadowland story, I really do enjoy it. I’m just mad at the massive and haphazard retcons blizz is throwing around to fit Zooval/Jailer into everything, without actually explaining about him.

Shadowlands story is amazing. Those who disagree are just a bunch of haters.

I had to foot the bill for BfA by having everything that I like about WoW be sacrificed so that Horde players could have their power fantasy and Human Players could go deus vult through Lordaeron again. I then was told to care about another subset of boring useless humans and their problems while Night Elves continued to get dumped on and receive nothing in the way of positive content meant to instill that #FactionPride. Now I’m supposed to care about the world being destroyed by some evil instagram model because he’s Sylvanas’ Glucose Guardian all of a sudden. Why should I care about Azeroth being destroyed? If the Night Elves are just gonna be destroyed anyway then good. You all can go down with us.

on the flip side the Jailer’s schemes are so grand and large scale that it immediately removes any sense of tension or believability. He essentially wants to undo the entire world and he’s never once displayed any semblance of being able to actually do so. The idea that they would even consider ending the expansion with the Jailer getting the W isn’t even remotely believable so why should I care?

(For comparison Sargeras wanted to slice Azeroth in half and destroy the planet to prevent Old God Corruption and that chance that might happen was believable because we were given examples of him successfully doing so to other worlds. His threat was believable.)

The realm of Death has iNfInAtE rEaLmS but it’s nothing more than a cop out to explain why we’re not exploring any of the afterlives that had already been established through the faiths of mortal races living on Azeroth. It doesn’t matter if those afterlives exist in the shadowlands when we’re never going to see them. Furthermore there’s only four afterlives that actually matter enough to have a figure head that’s part of the Death Pantheon working with the Arbiter so the cop out of there being infinite realms in the Shadowlands is at best the laziest form of lip service possible.

2 Likes

Lol when did this happen?

When Night elf civilians were able to stall a dedicated Horde invasion?

When the Horde wasn’t able to defend Loraedon?

When the Alliance invaded an allied capitol and got away scot free?

When the Alliance canonically won everything?

Please tell me what “power fantasy” I was apparently missing out on in BFA.

2 Likes

I mean pretending the horde didn’t win at Teldrassil in a big way, isn’t going to change anything. Can we just stop pretending the horde lost everything ever? :wolf:

And Lordaeron was a loss for the alliance. They failed to achieve their objective, but you do you

1 Like

Considering the Horde objective (not Sylvanas’ objective) was not to torch Teldrassil but instead to force the Alliance to the table to come to an actual tenable peace agreement and to actually punish their warcriminals like Genn instead of cheering them on, I’d say Teldrassil was a failure for the Horde if UC was one for the Alliance.

The phrasing is problematic because fantasy implies it’s something we always wanted.

Teldrassil was an “undesired show of power” rather than a “power fantasy”

6 Likes

I watched Horde players salivate over burning Teldrassil for years prior to it actually happening.

“We could pull up a couple of ships with flamethrowers and the thing would go up like a campfire!”
“We could bomb it with zeppelins!”
“Why doesn’t Gallywix just fire his cannon at that ugly stump?”

3 Likes