Why are people so mad with Shadowlands story?

:point_down:

:pancakes:

13 Likes

In WoD

As I’ve said

Now six times :upside_down_face:

We haven’t had this conversation before actually. Maybe you had it with someone else, but not me.

I also don’t see the point in conflating the Blood Fury racial with the abstract concept of Bloodlust that was being referred to. I’m not honestly sure what would lead you down this path unless you’re making connections between the spell and the Orcish way of life that aren’t established in the lore.

3 Likes

Kyalin we literally have, just read what Gantrithor wrote.

It’s okay to be wrong about a race and faction you don’t play.

Scroll down to the “Rise of the Horde” section, Gantrithor, and note the timeline.

@ Baalsamael, you too. Note when Mannoroth’s blood enters the equation.

Kyalin

Orcs have always been a warrior culture

The original lore stated that orc Bloodlust (the state) was caused by Manoroth’s blood.

Warrior culture is not the same as that magical bloodlust frenzy.

WoD changed it so that this uncontrollable frenzy was genetic and inherent to the race without the demon blood.

2 Likes

Thank you for validating Smalloiz’s point and mine. This is all that was being said. It is not a surprise then or a retcon, that WoD would feature that warrior culture acting in the way that warrior cultures do.

2 Likes

Except you’re wrong.

The magical bloodlust frenzy was retcon’d

Which is my original point

So here we are

1 Like

Erm… yeah?

Kil’jaeden shows up. Manipulates/corrupts the orcs into a bloodthirsty rabble. Demon blood comes later.

How does that change what I posted?

:pancakes:

4 Likes

Everybody is talking in circles. One of the reasons is that the people saying the Blood Fury is now an inherent racial trait rather than a corruption are just saying it over and over instead of substantiating it.

Here is the substantiation.

Note though that this did not actually begin with Warlords of Draenor. The first implications of this came from Dranosh (then Saurfang the Younger), who activates a glowing-red-eye rage while recounting what happened to his war party in his very first appearance. As a Mag’har he would not have been touched by fel at all, much less demon blood, so this would have been either a retcon to Blood Fury into an inherently orcish trait or merely a representation of a class ability rather than a racial one.

7 Likes

You are conflating the ability with the ideology - the ideology was in full display. I don’t see that so much with the specific ability that your referenced.

As well as questlines demonstrating this is a struggle for all orcs.

We posted the wowpedia article that summarizes the lore, demonstrating originally the magical frenzy was a product of demonic corruption and also that WoD established it is a universal racial struggle.

It’s literally right there.

Kyalin just hates reading about the Horde and admitting she’s wrong.

I’m not.

Magical frenzy and ideology are separate

Ideology was present

Magical frenzy was retcon’d

I’ve said this now ten times. In the exact same way.

2 Likes

This, first of all.

Frosthawk’s explanation makes more sense, even if I would cast some doubt on Maraad’s retelling and question how much of it is literal and how much of it simply refers to rage in general. However again, I’m not sure that such gets to what Smalloiz and I were pointing out.

It’s literally not. Nothing on the wowpedia article talks about the bloodlust being an inherent racial struggle. It simply does not exist on that page. The information exists, but you haven’t produced it, you’ve just slapped down a giant wall of text that doesn’t actually contain the proof you’re saying it has.

1 Like

It wasn’t retconned.

The Bloodlust brought on by Mannoroth’s blood is NOTHING like the inherent rage in Orcs, though it is what the Blood took and corrupted. It took control of them and put them in a constant state of Bloodlust.

Afterall, it was the reason the Orcs drew Kil’jaeden’s attention. They had “potential” and it’s wasn’t just because they were gullible.

1 Like

Does anyone remember what I can only describe as absolute vitriol towards WoD the community had when it was current content? Or are we all gonna pretend like that wasn’t a thing too? Worst I have ever seen. Straight up belligerent at times. The SL hate is at least civil so far.

At this point, you can say this thread has substantiated my post. People just tend to look at past iterations of WoW with rose-tinted glasses.

Can you show me where that happened in Legion? Because otherwise, I’d take this as an indication that the story is just getting worse.

You mean a general attitude of positivity to the current content that took place during Legion?

Well, I’ll put it this way.

Legion, overall, seems to have garnered a better reception than BFA or Shadowlands, so, if you’re seeking to validate your claim that looking back on previous expansions is just nostalgia goggles, then you should have observed similar patterns during an expansion that most agree was already good, right?

If your point is to go through here, you should see the same behavior taking place during the legion era. So, was it?