Why are earnestly-written posts wrongfully marked as ToS violations?

If you are repeatedly posting - that can easily be seen as spam.

CMs may see a post - they RARELY respond on the forums.

This sounds more like a bug or an exploit. If a bug, we have a bug forum. If an exploit, you could send an email to hacks@blizzard.com.

Note: Hacks doesn’t usually respond to that email, but they are read.

8 Likes

I expect it is likely:

7 Likes

I make a single post relevant to World of Warcraft in the TWIW article. I don’t repeat it and each week’s post is unique. Why is asking for progress (once a week, uniquely each time) considered spam?

This isn’t a case of me flooding their articles, I am politely reminding them each week that nothing has been done since I last checked in and that they are failing their duty of being responsible groundskeepers for the realms.

I understand this isn’t the place for debating these things but I need to say this doesn’t look like the moderator is stopping spam, rather they are silencing players that are blowing the whistle on their negligence.

It’s not really in line with the articles in question which might be why it’s being reported.

Possibly start your own thread for discussion, but it could bring even more attention to the problem so I’d error on the side of just emailing the hacks team.

Even if nothing is ever acknowledged publicly that doesn’t mean nothing is being done.

6 Likes

Because people are seeing it over and over again. That is spam, no matter how unique you are trying to make it out to be. You’re asking for progress of the exact same problem in every one of these threads - by your own admission. Your history is hidden, but people still will recall the similar posts and your posting character.

4 Likes

once a week is not spam. The TWIW article series starts itself with entirely wide enough scope for my complaint to be relevant:

Conversations evolve, but I strongly dislike purposeful derailments.

They’re basically demands by people to talk about topic X instead of topic Y. It’s the conversational analogy of someone cutting in line to be served next.

I would absolutely report that each and every time. It’s one of my pet peeves.

1 Like

It is if you’re bringing up the same thing over and over again for several months. You don’t get to dictate what is or isn’t spam. Your fellow players are reporting your posts. The Mods agree, and so they are removed. If you’re constantly being reported for this, it is going eventually cost you posting privileges. I truly hope it doesn’t come to that, but if you’re being reported over and over again and you’re getting the notification that your post has been removed due to ToS violations? That is what it will eventually lead to. Heck, if you’re constantly haranguing the CMs for their responses, that could even be construed as harassment. That isn’t what those posts are for. The CMs post the updates. They do not interact with the players jumping on each of them to demand why X hasn’t been fixed or even addressed. They don’t even have a horse in that race - fixes like those are all in the Dev’s wheelhouse. And the Devs interact less with the populace than their CMs do.

3 Likes

That is a gross misrepresentation of what I’ve been posting in the article series, which states its purpose is to ‘keep you in the know byte by bye’ while simultaneously choosing to not only not respond but to silence and delete the post itself.

Not at all. It is a request for the caretakers of this game to acknowledge a problem that has been widely abused for a year now. A simple, ‘we hear you and have a plan’ is all it would take.

My time in this ‘line’ has been spent waiting patiently for some type of action on Blizzard’s behalf towards remedying this issue.

And that would be an abuse of the flag function.

There’s always going to be something “more pressing” or “more important” to talk about. If people interrupt every single thread with an issue, it would just never end.

It’s like those people who got upset about donations going to the Notre Dame. Why would they donate to the Notre Dame? The rainforest is more important!

Why would you donate to stop rainforest clearcutting when it’s clear human trafficking is more important?

Why don’t you stop human trafficking in its tracks by ensuring human rights are observed in developing countries?

Well you can’t work on human rights if you don’t work on corruption.

etc etc etc. It just never stops.

7 Likes

Use that hacks email provided ealrier and send everything there.

3 Likes

That’s fine. To be clear, what we think the use of the flagging function is for, is more or less irrelevant.

2 Likes

But it’s not “single”, and you do repeat it. While these may be, as you say, “unique”, you are spamming the same complaint over and over again. It’s the same thing as posting the same thing in multiple threads over and over again.

Not only that, but posting it on the TWIW article makes it irrelevant. Wanting to stop exploitation is a fine crusade, but posting a “suggestion” to “fix exploitation” belongs in its own thread in the most appropriate forum, usually General.

On top of THAT, quoting Orlyia for emphasis:

This is the next issue. There is not “nothing done”. It’s a constant process, and quite frankly, Blizzard is always in “react mode”. They can’t preemptively stop exploitation before it happens. So, once it’s identified, then they need time to study what’s happening, figuring out how to stop it, and then making sure stopping it doesn’t break the rest of the game.

Also, they don’t need reminded, politely or not.

But it is spam, and that’s exactly what they’re trying to stop. “Once a week” can absolutely be spam, when it’s the same message being posted over and over, especially in unrelated places.

6 Likes

As Melaesia states, it’s a fine crusade. However you’ve put me in the position where I’m disinclined to support you, as I find your efforts abhorrent.

I’m out of here while I’m only gritting my teeth. Cheers.

3 Likes

Yes, the purpose is for the developers to keep players in the know about future features. Not for you to keep them in the know about a subject they know exponentially more about.

They don’t have to inform you of anything, but even so, they have been informing us since the game launched. There are ban waves happening all the time, and there are always things they are doing behind the scenes. They employ many people across multiple teams to tackle hacking and exploitation.

You saying “fix this” is simply static to a company that has been working to “fix it” for 19 years.

Not even close. Reporting a post that someone feels is a violation is not abuse.

Even if Blizzard doesn’t agree with the flag and the post remains, it’s not abusive.

8 Likes

Yes, it is.

No, I don’t. I post about a topic. Each post is unique, it’s own thought on the matter for that given time and day.

This is Blizzard’s website, their forums, their property. If they only want people with names that start with A to post on their forums, that is their rule.

They can and will censor you as much as they want, and so far, it appears that everything they’ve done is directly in line with the Forum CoC.

7 Likes

This is Blizzard’s game. These are Blizzard’s forums. This is their sandbox and they can do whatever they want with it.

If that displeases you so, then it’s a good thing the forums are not integral to playing the game.

If the fact that you’re not being catered to is incensing you to spam the forums week after week - I personally would find another game to play. It’s great to care about the game and to help point out what needs to be addressed. It’s not so great to be harassing staff and then having a fit when they and your fellow players are using the tools at their respective disposals to keep it from being where it doesn’t belong.

7 Likes

You can spin it however you want, but the fact remains that:

1. Your interpretation matters zero. It’s Blizzard’s interpretation, and they are directly giving you their interpretation of the matter.

2. Those posts are not allowed. You’ve been told where to give your suggestion, and if you don’t like it, then I’m afraid there’s no recourse. The forums are a perk, not a guarantee.

3. Continuing to do something you have repeatedly been told to not do will likely result in a forum suspension and/or ban.

The choice is yours.

5 Likes