Why are Allied Races so controversial....!

Heya All,

With so many Allied Races mega threads up and asking for customisations on others, I never understood why this is such a hot topic, like I understand every point for those who are “For” more Allied Races and Customisation, this is the Battle For Azeroth, I personally think all allies we have helped in the past should be picking a side, this affects them too, did they not feel the giant sword get stabbed in Silithus? Do they not see the war raging around them?.

I just never understood why people are against adding more Races, it brings replayability back, gives certain model & classes they wish they had I.E “Orcs didn’t have Priest but Mag’har do”, which opens up a lot and creates players enjoyment.

Why are people against others for speculating, creating theories and going through lore, like I personally have learnt so much reading the forums, Eu/Na, reddit, mmo champ, their ideas and quoting lore and all is amazing, but theirs always the “Debbie Downers” trying to give them a hard time and always so negative…

That’s where I get confused, why are they so against certain things?? Especially when it doesn’t effect them at all, “personally I don’t like Gnomes, so I don’t play one”, but does that mean I should but make it my buisness to say they lost everything and should be extinct as not many left? where there is a forum about gnomes speaking about future customisations?..No…

WoW to survive needs to progress and the problem is we as a community move as the slowest person collectively, so instead of tearing eachother apart and arguing and slowing us down as a whole even more, why arnt we working together to progress? WoW needs to move forward to survive.

Allied Races is only one piece of a huge pie, but it’s one piece in the right direction and we shouldn’t be saying no I don’t want this, or I don’t want that, we should be working together and creating a WoW that has diversity and variety… for a whole expansion we helped Tuskarr, Jinyu and Hozen? And what? Now they don’t exist anymore to assist us?, what happened to Falstaad and the Council of Three Hammers? So he just gonna sit back and lounge around?, Vyrkul, High Elves, Ogres, Sethrak and Vulpera… we should be able to pick and choose many more races then what we have… I understand there’s certain races you may be against, I’m not for all them aswell, but adding to them game has no significance gameplay effect on me, if I don’t like them I won’t create one, but I certainly wouldn’t stop the next person to make one and enjoy themselves.

Remember, WoW seems to be going through a hard rough patch, so many rumours and leaks about morale, subs and earnings, I’d just hate to see the game I love die right in front of me… if more Allied Races is a tiny bandaid for a large wounds, atleast we covered a small spot on and can work on fixing the next.

13 Likes

Some people only care about pushing mythics and raiding or PvP and think that more RPG based elements like allied races will take away from that. That’s what i’ve gathered at least… I guess some also might just not care and also think it’s a waste of development effort that they’d rather see being spent on something else.

This is an mmoRPG, though, so they will have to deal.

9 Likes

A big controversial point regarding them is whether they should be rep-locked or not.

I don’t mind Allied Races as long as we don’t go out of hand adding them and each one can feel unique from the other race options.

8 Likes

What about the ‘heck No!’ response to the idea of high elves?

4 Likes

Stop trying to make this into another high elf thread.

18 Likes

Most of the gripes come from races previously just being included, no work required, as part of buying the xpac. As long as they stay “pallet swaps”, so to speak, I don’t really have an issue with them.

3 Likes

if the high elf community wasn’t so rabid my stance would be different :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

If the rabid high elf community weren’t a whole 15 people my stance would be different.

5 Likes

on that subject, i guess another opposition people have to allied races is they just hate the ideas people are dishing out as ideas (elven races, ‘furry’ races, ‘joke’ races) or dislike the races blizzard has chosen to give (or how they were given)

this is a gripe I have, maghar and lightforged draenei IMO should have been barbershop options. ogres/mok’nathal and broken draenei would have been better in their place, as they are subraces who share current skeletons, yet are not just lazy recolours.

8 Likes

Because it’s just a reskin. It’s not bringing anything to the game.

My Mag’har warrior has a different Mortal Strike? No. NOTHING is different. It’s just a skin.

If you couldn’t xmog your gear on raid night, could you still play?? Of course. Allied races are no different. It’s nothing but a skin. How anyone cares about this is beyond me.

3 Likes

I don’t mind any allied race suggestion really on a base level save for high elves whose community can’t agree on what type of elf they want.

3 Likes

My only beef with Allied Races is that you have to level a fresh character to get the heritage armor. I’d rather do something challenging on my main toons to unlock it.

2 Likes

This no longer matters. Blizz throws it out the window as needed to advance their poorly written fan fiction

7 Likes

The allied races so far have been pretty “simple”. They’re basically just re-skinned existing races. I’d be all for adding completely new models, but I don’t feel the need that we should have to grind through reputation just to unlock one. It makes no sense at all. From Activisions perspective I get it, the longer you’re playing the better. It doesn’t make it right however. It’s just like with pathfinder, something I don’t agree with at all.

I don’t know. At this point, if it makes sense to me and isn’t some crazy concept, I will support it most likely. I don’t play gnomes, but I want gnome players happy with stuff too, so am fine with mechas. Don’t see myself playing a Gilgoblin (though I do love regular goblins) but would love goblin players to get them. Don’t care for Mah’gar, but am very glad that orc players got what they wanted.

My philosophy is to a) be patient, b) be kind, c) try to support when I can without stepping on toes. I don’t support every AR concept, there’s a small few I really don’t support for my personal opinions and I will mention them once perhaps (if I see a thread on it.) But I don’t do the whole “mine first! Not before I get what I want!” If I get the AR I’m pushing for eventually, I will be happy. If not, I will be disappointed, but that’s life, and I will hope the best for others too. Even those that I really dislike, if they make it in, if it makes some happy, sure I guess.

11 Likes

I’m not universally in favor of every race we’ve ever encountered being made playable. I want the narrative to build up and support it, not come out of nowhere just for the sake of giving us something that’s popularly requested without a solid foundation underneath it.

That said, I’m not opposed to new races showing up, working with us in the story, and eventually becoming playable through the allied race system a patch or two later. That’s fine, too.

I think it’s important to think long-term, and think of how a new race would interact with the rest of their faction and what they ultimately bring to it that’s not already being done by an already playable race.

3 Likes

People that aren’t going to be affected by them being toxic about the idea. I don’t get it.

Is it not relevant to the topic though?

Wouldn’t they have different teams working on that, Allied Races and dungeon content and PvP?, so technically it wouldn’t effect either result…

@everyone else, I’m not saying this will bring back WoW to its glory days, I’m just saying it’s a tiny step forward and we should be working together, a lot of people are so passionate about certain Races they want in game, and I love it, they are the people that will drive us forward.

In honesty we need more passion in this game, In all aspects, Allied Races, Class Design, PvP, Story, Dungeons, passion and feedback (if they do listen), is what we need more, but all the arguing is counter productive… and isn’t benifiting any one…

Edit: let’s not turn this into a thread “against” certain races, this is a thread about being positive and going forward, to help the game we all obviously love and believe it or not, adding certain Allied Races is a step forward.

In my opinion, $@%# allied races. I liked the idea of you could buy the expansion an play the new race; it gave a fresh feeling. But now I’m grinding Allied Races for a month, to what, be an albino/gold draenei, be a brown orc??? This is ridiculous.

Reputations need to be account wide, so the more characters you have the more you benefit. This would force players to play the main part of the game, and not mindless wq completions.