Why are all 1 star items selling much higher than 2 star ones in AH?

Tiered Medallion Setting for example, 1 star sells at 600ish while 2 star sells 30g.

At first I didn’t notice the 30g price and saw that 1 star setting is profitable, so I made 10 of them and auctioned them, only later found out 2 star ones have a much lower price in AH.

However, my listed settings have just been sold.

Why would someone pay a much higher price to get 1 star items while they can get 2 star ones easily?

Actually this is a universal phenomenon. For almost all items, 1 stars sell much higher than 2 star. This baffles me. It seems like I missed something important. Does anyone have an exaplantion?

Because more people can make 2 stars than 1 star, the price changes more on the 2 star goods due to volume, and 1 star takes time to catch up.

The 1 star tiered medallions used to be very cheap till someone bought them all out an reset the price a week or so ago. Those are unique since the cheapest way to 3 socket a necklace requires buying one of each. 1,2,3 star.

Does it? I believe you can use 2 2’s and a 3

You can.

There is no logical reason for the 1* s being higher than the 2* s. It is supply and demand, mixed with poorly adapted AH and addon UIs for the new system.

People are producing way less 1* than 2* since all crafters very quickly get up into the min 2* range. Fewer produced means fewer listings which means fewer undercuts, so the price simply doesn’t drop as fast down to its natural floor (zero crafting profit).

The way the UI comes into play is that it “should” tell you “hey you’re about to post a 1* for more than the 2* price, nobody will buy it” but they’re not sophisticated enough to do that yet. All those 1*s just sit there unbought.

Not unbought, people like Bacondemon buy them because they think you need to :sweat_smile:

One stars are listed for higher, but it doesn’t mean that they are selling for higher.