Who mainly plays BGs and why?

Yep it was awful. The good side of it is we downed every boss bar the last on first attempt, and clear Heroic raid in two weeks, but it had all the fun stripped out of it.

Though equally as bad are the Raid groups that suffer wipe after wipe for 3 hours and down maybe 2-3 bosses. ugh at least in a BG it’s over in 10-20mins tops, then you can find a new group or requeue :slight_smile:

It’s also awesome when I meet a regular forum poster in them as well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I don’t like dungeon raids due to that experience and a few others not as bad as one I described. The thrill of bgs and pvp is what gets me! It can change minute to minute and you can depend on that one person on either side doing something unexpected.

2 Likes

I used to be that guy, but not anymore. Legion and BFA really broke PvP gear progression and classes and it’s not fun anymore.

I do play from time to time, but rarely.

3 Likes

Personally I like how “laid back” casual bgs are compared to arena and RBGs. I never could “get into” arena myself, just too stressful for my tastes. There are exceptions of course (Seething Shore, Silvershard Mines, etc), but you can just chill in most bgs - no stress.

The ability to use specific PvE items, cheesy PvE toys, powerful OP abilities like brez and Lay on Hands, etc is just too good imo. Because we are unable to use these things in arena, that just really kills my interest in it (…on top of it being stressful).

Also, in the context of the whole covid thing, regularly hanging out in epic bgs at least provides a basic amount of human interaction via the chat room. Sometimes, instead of leaving, I’ll hang out in Alliance epic bg losses just to observe the chat for the lulz :joy: :popcorn:

7 Likes

In the immortal words of Krombopulous Michael,

And there’s a lot of that to be done in BGs.

1 Like

I did arena heavily on a DK back in WOTLK era, to a point I was up at 2100 and something rating and that point gear takes its pure effect where a piece lacking is all the difference in advancing to 2200 or you get matched with alot of 2300+ teams. I cant imagine the amount of BS in arena today when theirs little variety in our class makeups where every battle you going into will seemingly be the same set of rotations, I havent really been a PVP guru since then because they wanted to make this game too user friendly where anyone can play it now, so the real skill and test is far more absent now. Most of the high rated arena players today probably would of never gotten out of the 1800s 10 years ago.

1 Like

BGs are all I want to do. I love pvp, but I play wow to relax, so BGs it is. Plus I never really cared for arena, you have to commit to a schedule, find partners. Not my thing.

Sadly though, you can’t gear while doing BGs, no matter how much time you spend there. If you like arena, you can gear up doing so, same if you like raiding, or mythic. BGs, no, never understood why.

1 Like

Do rated BGs. That’s the arena version of BGs.

problem with that is there are barriers to entry for RBGs with gear that cant be obtained through regular BGs( especially in this xpac) and a much smaller community willing to take on a player of unknown skill

2 Likes

Same barrier to entry as arena.

arena has a much larger community and finding 1-5 other players to play with is easier then fielding a full team of 10-15. also compounding gear disparity plays a bigger role as the number of people increases as well. its very much a logistics issue.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s easier to get away with less gear during rated Bgs than it is arena. In arena, you only have one shot to kill or be killed.

not when its spread over an entire time. an ilvl 430 vs ilvl 460 2s match is a disparity of 60 ilvls. a ilvl 430 vs ilvl 460 10v10 is a disparity of 300 ilvls. its like one team is walking in with 2/3s of an extra person.

This is example is of a normal expac as well.
if the 430 team is restricting themselves to just BG gear…corruptions make the the disparity even larger. In an RBG given a gear disparity its still going to be one shot to kill or be killed…its just the the losing party gets to wait 10mins for a timer in addition to losing.

we aren’t talking a carry situation where one player can hide in a crowd.

1 Like

I’m not talking full teams here. Rated Bgs are always much more forgiving to an under geared/lower skilled player. Not even just this xpac.

“Plus I never really cared for arena, you have to commit to a schedule, find partners. Not my thing.”

Applies to RBGs as well.

2 Likes

not im my experience. trying to find a rated bgs team has always been like pulling teeth for me. im not even talking any critizism in a game…im talking getting an invite to the group. so i gave up trying and just make the best of random BG limbo.

where as ive found it easier to find a 2s or 3s partner. its just i don’t enjoy arena.

2 Likes

My point is there is a bg way to gear like arena. Whether it has worked out for you personally or not is beside the point.

I like playing with a larger group and with objectives bigger than “just go kill people.”

That being said, I do want to start getting into arena if for no other reason than to be better in BGs.

its an illusion of a way…thats the point… the gear progression design gates access to the gear progression system. you can’t breakout of the of the 445 gear bracket without having gear that already exceeds 445 and you cant get into rated BG groups without gear that exceeds 445. which forces you to PVE. same with corruptions, you cant make use of the corruptions without the cape grind, but atm the corruption resist is mandatory to succeed in rated battle grounds. The only way to get access to the gear is to PVE or pay for a carry.

1 Like

You can get into a group at any gear level. You can also form your own group. Just the same as arena.