Who Is Feeding Stormwind?

So Stormwind is a pretty big city I guess, and now has a lot of Night Elf/Gilnea Refugees as well. My question is, where does their food come from? Where are the peasants and where are the massive rows of planting? Westfall looks like it could have been such a place, but it’s like in a state of horrible drought. Then you got Duskwood which seems kinda similar, only instead of drought its like totally dark 24/7 and most of the farms have been destroyed or taken up by Ogres/Worgen/Undead. Redridge also doesn’t seem to have many farms. Those farms in Elwynn seem like, pretty small and mostly family ran, to be feeding an entire city. On top of this you still have small towns as well such as Lakeshire, Goldshire, etc, for the food farmed in these places to all be going to Stormwind.

We see Druids growing pumpkins within the city, but like, is the entire city being fed on pumpkins?! Also, that seems like a neat trick druids are capable of. Vastly speeding up the growth and maturation process of plants. Do they employ this elsewhere? Why can’t they do that in Westfall? Could Shamans call upon the water elements to make it rain in Westfall?

8 Likes

There’s a few farms in Elwynn besides the Stormwind one.

I would assume Westfall has recovered or is at least on its way to recovery, since the horrible state it was in was a result of the Defias’s harvest golems running rampant but the Defias are gone now.

I know, there is a few throughout Elwynn, but they seem to be more like, small family run farms rather than large scale agricultural fields needed for feeding an urban population. I also assume some of their product goes to feed Goldshire, which is the small town there.

Yeah I made another thread asking that, since I figured it deserved its own.

See, this is actually a good/plausible explanation for resolving the Westfall situation.

Which is probably why Blizzard hasn’t done it yet, and likely never will.

2 Likes

Westfall yep. Even though Westfall seems very poor (perhaps somewhat better now, but still not great).

Didn’t Redridge not also have some farms?

I think there is a couple, I’d have to actually check. I do remember a Lumbermill. Still though, I assume the farms there would mostly feed Lakeshire? I just wonder if any of the books or anything mention this. Like I know maybe the game world isn’t to scale so the farms aren’t as big as they should be, but do the books any where ever mention this stuff?

I’m pretty sure it was addressed in Chronicles. I believe those two regions are mostly responsible for feeding the Kingdom of Sotrmwind.
But I would have to look for it later on.
I’m sure there is someone who knows more about it.

1 Like

Jaina. She can probably conjure food like Dumbledore did in Harry Potter.

:cactus:

1 Like

Realistically it’s a problem of gamescale. In lore, there are most likely tons of farms throughout Elwynn and Westfall that are active and producing food. Not to mention Stormwind is a port city, so it probably has food imports coming in from other places and trade companies we don’t hear about while killing other-dimensional tentacle creatures.

13 Likes

Maybe, but the farms we do see outside of Westfall are like small patches, here or there.

But is it ever talked about? Or just an assumption? And like, what kind of farms? Like I said, the ones we do see an Elwynn are very small, even for game scale, and are like simply family farms. We don’t really see like, a big open-field style patchwork.

True, but where would they be importing the food from? We can see most of Azeroth on our map by now. Were they getting it from Darnassus? And if so, with it being wiped out wouldn’t that present a problem?

It is, yes. We also know the world is bigger and there are more villages etc.

Yeah I am aware the world is suppose to be way bigger than in game, I meant more the productive aspect. The farms and trade and stuff.

Baine stands for 90% of alliance food. literally. Baine milk etc etc. knowing baine he probably stands for most of the Food imports of beef. (through sacrifice of Tauren)

4 Likes

As I said, yes it’s mentioned in books. But nothing in particular as far as I’m aware. Simply “there are some towns and villages. They have farms.” Something like that.

Ah, the “how do they eat?” Question. Easiest way to find out how much thought went into a setting.

Another fun way to judge a setting is how elves and races like them are written. If they are incompetent bimbos, its a trashy HFY setting. If they are overpowered gods, the writer is probably self-inserting.

8 Likes

Yeah I mean I am not asking for detailed statistics. Just SOMETHING. Three small family farms in Elwynn FOREST can’t be feeding the by now biggest urban center in the Alliance. (Ironforge has the same problem, do Dwarves eat or do they just consume beer??)

NO BRO SHE IS CHOOSING TO BE THAT WAY YOU DON’T GET IT

1 Like

It’s important to remember that in the game world we only see a small fraction of the land that is actually present within the context of the lore and the setting itself. You can cross even the largest of zones, the Barrens (combined) north to south in about 30 minutes of just running, but in lore it’s described as taking weeks for even Tauren to cross with the express purpose of crossing it.

Eastvale Logging Camp, for instance, is actually a series of small logging towns in the region. We as players are only seeing a fraction of what would be present in each and every zone, with even the more modern zones that have a bit more to them, such as Kul Tiras and Zandalar, still markedly smaller than they would be in actuality.

So, Stormwind, Elwynn itself, Redridge, even Duskwood all have many, many more towns and farms on them that we don’t see at all, and this holds true for the vast majority of zones.

Speaking to Ironforge, this is even more obvious, as throughout pretty much all of the Dwarven zones, we see these towers and turrets sticking up from the mountains, we even see this in Wildhammer zones as well. Bronzebeards are mountain dwarves, which means that they more than likely have many, if not the majority of, their settlements inside the mountains themselves, which is probably where they have a lot of their farms.

2 Likes

If they have their farms inside the mountains, then how do they get the needed sunlight? They must have developed some type of indoor growing system if that’s the case, I assume. Unless they have like, holes or whatever, that the sunlight comes through in those specific locations of the mountain.

1 Like

Underground communities are a common fantasy trope, and I would assume there’s some sort of mechanism for it. Going underground is one of the few things we haven’t done yet, but Blizzard has been hinting at such for years, to the point where one of the expansions people wanted was an Undermine expansion.

WTB playable Drow.