Which is the better display for WoW?

Just a quick run down; I’m purchasing a gaming laptop and need help with choosing which display to get which would best serve WoW, which is pretty much the only game I play besides a few old titles from long ago.

It’s between a 17.3’’ UHD 3840x2160, 120Hz, NVIDIA G-SYNC & 17.3’’ FHD 1920x1080, 480Hz, NVIDIA G-SYNC

The GPU will be a 3080 Ti

I’m torn because 17.3’’ seems small for the high resolution display but would WoW benefit from the 480Hz refresh rate?

All help and insight is much appreciated.

Thanks

I understand that feeling of being torn.

The 4k resolution of the first is nice, but it is a question of being able to tell the difference between that and the second one on a screen that size. You’d also have to consider the trade-off between quality and FPS, not to mention battery life.

For the 480Hz, that’s just a lot of cushion room for screen drawing. Barely any games will be pushing FPS that would warrant screen drawing that fast unless it’s a low-resource game or a really old one played on modern hardware. Even then, the most I’ve personally seen is 300FPS.

I prob wouldn’t want to play 4k on a game like WoW in a raid/dungeon setting with all sorts of spell effects going off. Then again, you don’t have to play the game at those settings and could always change it. 4k on a laptop is meant more for productivity.

I’d personally go for the second for the FPS @1080 and battery life. Though, I’d try to find a nice middle-ground 1440 laptop.

I honestly can’t see you ever getting enough FPS to benefit from 480hz. I’d go with the higher resolution for sure. 120hz is still great.

Assuming the overall quality of the panel is the same in every other way - I’d probably go with the 1080p screen. It will look better on a screen of that size, IMO.

My real concern is a 3080 TI in a laptop. It’ll be pretty interesting keeping that sucker cool.

1 Like

27" 2560x1440 144hz is a great middle ground. I’m going to assume that 17" was a typo.

you have a 27" laptop?

My personal vote would go to the 4k 120HZ. 120HZ is already plenty smooth and added image clarity from the higher resolution will be nice to look at imo. I personally play on a 27" 4k 144Hz Monitor.

4k 120hz. Also, respectfully ofc! It’s WoW…Doesnt need much lol