Where to best practice healing rotation/being a new healer

Is it bgs? Epic bgs? dungeons?(although i dislike the pve). Just started playing restro druid and need to practice my rotation. Keep in mind I want to play in arena as well, so maybe practicing in skirms?

I would start with BGs to get the very basics down. Then move on to skirms when you feel a little more confident

1 Like

dungeons won’t teach you how to fake cast

1 Like

Random battlegrounds.
Not epic. Epic does not have enough real PvP.

3 Likes

Why do you say that? Alterac Valley and Ashran - I would say - do. WG could, and IoC sometimes.

IMO, the benefit of Epic BGs is that they’re more forgiving, and you can take a beat to think “where is that cooldown on my bars again” without everyone dying.

yeah i still need to learn my buttons fully. i need to look down for my ns, overgrowth, ironbark, and ward.

The Proving Grounds scenario from MOP is excellent for practicing. It’s not pvp, nothing is going to CC or interrupt you, but it’s a place where you can practice your keybinds on units taking big damage (on the “endless” difficulty).

You can go there by picking up the “Proving Grounds” quest at Shrine of Seven Stars if alliance or Shrine of Two Moons if horde, or by unlocking the WOD garrison and talking to your garrison leader npc.

I think dungeons/raids are also a decent place to practice your rotation, especially if there is a Call to Arms and you’ll get extra rewards for queuing up.

Either AV turtles or regular bgs. Ideally at prime time so you’re less likely to be the only healer

1 Like

I use Epics to also figure out what i want to macro. In Arenas macro my NS to chain heal. I have NS as a standalone in case i need it for anything else but its rare. Saves some time.

I just do PvE stuff until I’m sure that most of my buttons are working correctly then into battlegrounds for a bit then ranked. :dracthyr_love_animated: Target dummies are also decent.

Epic bg’s is probably the best place to start. You usually aren’t the sole healer so you can get away with the mistakes until you learn.

If you start in regulars, prepare to be the sole healer and the game depending solely on you. And if you haven’t learned the spec yet, expect rage.

1 Like

theres no such thing as a ‘rotation’ in pvp. thats pve nerd dragonslayer stuff and its not really applicable to the chaotic, random pvp environment.

you cast what you need to cast based on whats going on…

3 Likes

what? so then openers are just not a thing apparently.

1 Like

There are ideal rotations in PvP for various situations. You see them in PvP guides and videos.

1 Like

PVE has rotations…PVP has priorities.:slight_smile:

1 Like

PvP Rotation:

Healing Rotation:

Max out your honor gear doing epic bgs. And the. Once you get gear go into random bgs. Once you get your rotation down by checking icy veins and such for talent builds gearing chants and so forth you can Que up for yolo Rbgs. Start doing rated as a healer. You can easily yolo up to 1500 in a weekend of casual play

That is not a rotation, friend.

I think what they’re trying to say is that if you get stuck into the mindset of “first I do this, then that. Followed by this absolute sequence of events” then you’re going to be in trouble in PvP, as players are actively working against you to ensure that you don’t pull off a “rotation”.

Which is why you’ll often hear the sequence of abilities you use in PvP as priorities. Because it’s generally more flexible and situation specific. “I wanted to do this, but they did that. Which means I should cancel that and start doing this other thing now.”

Openers exist. And there’s an ideal you can strive for that’s scripted to the point of there being a “rotation.” but that can and will go wrong, which if you’re too focused on it going right, that can lead to further mistakes.

1 Like